• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

Just out of curiosity, I just checked eBay and found 5 copies of #9, 1 copy of #29, 1 copy of #62, 6 copies of #147 (including a CGC 9.0), and 2 copies of MOC #4. This is just a one day snapshot, but it does correlate with the general observation that #29 and #62 are difficult books to find, and this is especially true in high grade.

Just out of curiosity, I just checked eBay and found 5 copies of #9, 1 copy of #29, 1 copy of #62, 6 copies of #147 (including a CGC 9.0), and 2 copies of MOC #4. This is just a one day snapshot, but it does correlate with the general observation that #29 and #62 are difficult books to find, and this is especially true in high grade.

The question I have is why are there so many #9's?

We'll probably never know. My theory is that it's the quality of the story. I find 9 unreadable, but 29 and 62 hold up to repeated readings. So those issues got trashed more.

Or maybe there were more 9s to start with - I assume the print figures are long lost?

I can't quite remember the timing, but wasn't FC 9 the first Disney Dell book with original material? Or, at any rate, I think it came out about the same time as original material began to appear in WDC&S. Perhaps they expected big things from FC 9 and gave it a big print run. hm

We'll probably never know. My theory is that it's the quality of the story. I find 9 unreadable, but 29 and 62 hold up to repeated readings. So those issues got trashed more.

I like all 3 issues. I don't have a 29 right now though. I wouldn't mind having multiple 9s as I think it is such a cool comic

Terrific book, great colour and stories, although the binding, uh, "could be better" - by that I mean be a little careful in handling the book.

There is a companion Uncle Scrooge tome that is also fantastic.

I have copies of those two kicking around somewhere. I agree that they are nicely done.

Terrific book, great colour and stories, although the binding, uh, "could be better" - by that I mean be a little careful in handling the book.

There is a companion Uncle Scrooge tome that is also fantastic.

Thanks for the 101.

Can"t wait to read it.

I'll post a few pics when i get it.

There's also a Gottfredson Mickey volume in that series.

Ohhh,a Mickey one too ?

So you fellas are saying that the printing is very nice on that series ?

Is the Don Rosa stuff better ?

Is the 25 bucks a good price ?

Edited by montrealfilmguy

For some reason, the Scrooge is harder to find (?) but you can find these at used books stores for maybe $15 if you're lucky so $25 is OK. I don't believe there is a lot of demand for these but they are oversized and reprinted at the time (I want to say 1982) material that wasn't available and before any boom of reprints. So it really was the only place you could find Gottfredson Mickey for a while. If you weren't in Canada, I'd say I could sell you mine but shipping is always an issue.

Ohhh,a Mickey one too ?

there were 6 volumes in the best comics abbeville set: donald duck, mickey mouse, goofy, uncle scrooge, silly symphonies and donald duck and his nephews.

one thing you should be aware of is the mangling of bark's intended layout system where every page should end with so-called "cliffhanger" panels. panels were resized, cut or omitted to fit into the format of the book. the worst example is the punchline ending in "lost in the andes" story, which barks was so proud of, was completely cut out.

more info here.

Ohhh,a Mickey one too ?

there were 6 volumes in the best comics abbeville set: donald duck, mickey mouse, goofy, uncle scrooge, silly symphonies and donald duck and his nephews.

one thing you should be aware of is the mangling of bark's intended layout system where every page should end with so-called "cliffhanger" panels. panels were resized, cut or omitted to fit into the format of the book. the worst example is the punchline ending in "lost in the andes" story, which barks was so proud of, was completely cut out.

more info here.

Great.More info. :whee:

Thanks.

I would agree with you on 29 and 62, but I might reverse 9 and 147. It seems like high grade copies of 9 are always available if you want to spend the money whereas the others might not be even if you won the lottery. It isn't a FC, but MOC 4 also seems to be a genuine Barks rarity unlike the other MOC's.

8021920367_e8dd795688_c.jpg

I would agree that 29 is more difficult than 9 but I don't have either due to the price. :pullhair:

Edited by BB-Gun

I would agree with you on 29 and 62, but I might reverse 9 and 147. It seems like high grade copies of 9 are always available if you want to spend the money whereas the others might not be even if you won the lottery. It isn't a FC, but MOC 4 also seems to be a genuine Barks rarity unlike the other MOC's.

I would agree that 29 is more difficult than 9 but I don't have either due to the price. :pullhair:

Nonsense. A mere bag of shells for a man of your means

Nonsense. A mere bag of shells for a man of your means

I am a man of means by no means.

Most of my collection was purchased while I still had a good job. Now I am semi-retired and living on peanuts. Lots of shells left but no one wants to bargain for them. (shrug)

Sell me your coverless National #18… :baiting:

Or at least remind to scan page #1 in high res for me… ;)

lol

I did make a high resolution scan but I couldn't do anything with the gigantic file. (shrug)

Let your fingers do the walking to Google and insert "How to Send Large Files for Free" and you will find sites that exist just for that purpose and will work with files from up to 2GB to 20GB depending on the host. I have sent and received very large, high resolution files locally, as well as internationally, with no problems. These sites have been around for years and are very reliable.