• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

I know we've had one of these posted lately, but mine arrived today and I'm delighted with it. :banana: I thought we could spare a few pixels for a pic. It looks even nicer in hand in a shiny new mylar.

four_color_223_dd_lost_andes_mgc_01.jpg

Anyone else noticing how issues #38, 41 -46, 48 are becoming a lot tougher?

I have noticed that, but it's because you are buying up all the issues I want! lol

One of the things that lead me to focus on Ducks right now is I was STUNNED by the lack of pre #50 WDCS at the NY con. there were a few, all very overpriced low grades. I expected to have my pick and just couldn't believe it.

Anyone else noticing how issues #38, 41 -46, 48 are becoming a lot tougher?

I have noticed that, but it's because you are buying up all the issues I want! lol

One of the things that lead me to focus on Ducks right now is I was STUNNED by the lack of pre #50 WDCS at the NY con. there were a few, all very overpriced low grades. I expected to have my pick and just couldn't believe it.

Just based on ebay prices for duck books over the last few years, I expect the new Overstreet to show a fair bump for early WDC&S and DD four colors. Not so much Uncle Scrooge - low and mid grade copies still go cheaply, although the high grade ones are more robust than they have been.

I agree, the early WDCS always sell over guide. US on the other hand, you can easily put #1-30 together in low grade for $200-$250

I was going to disagree with you until I ran the numbers and $250 to $300 sounds about right. Count $60 for # 1, $30 for # 2, $20 for # 3 and $5 a piece for the remaining 27 issues and it comes out to $245. I'd say $300 is a more reasonable estimate but we're in agreement. That's a cheap GREAT run! :headbang:

Now, I need to find a 3, 6, 7 and 15 to complete that part of the run :grin:

I know we've had one of these posted lately, but mine arrived today and I'm delighted with it. :banana: I thought we could spare a few pixels for a pic. It looks even nicer in hand in a shiny new mylar.

Andrew, that's a gorgeous FC 223! That book is very much on my list as well...though I doubt I'll find as nice a copy. Big congrats! (thumbs u

I agree, the early WDCS always sell over guide. US on the other hand, you can easily put #1-30 together in low grade for $200-$250

I was going to disagree with you until I ran the numbers and $250 to $300 sounds about right. Count $60 for # 1, $30 for # 2, $20 for # 3 and $5 a piece for the remaining 27 issues and it comes out to $245. I'd say $300 is a more reasonable estimate but we're in agreement. That's a cheap GREAT run! :headbang:

Now, I need to find a 3, 6, 7 and 15 to complete that part of the run :grin:

Yeah I guess $250 to $300 is more reasonable. Last Time I put the run together I was getting a lot of the Scrooges from #10-30 from lonestar for $3 each!

Here's a little press release in CGC's newsletter which nicely summarizes how staggering the WDCS run on Heritage really is. It was also cool realizing that I had previously owned one of the two 9.6s from 1-80 that was not featured in this auction.

Best-Ever Run of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories in February 26–28 Heritage Auction

CGC's highest-graded copy of almost every Walt Disney's Comics and Stories issue from 1940 through the mid-1950s will be auctioned without reserve in Heritage Auction Galleries’ February Signature Comic and Comic Art auction, the Dallas-based firm announced.

– 122 different issues from #2 through #188 will be offered.

– Almost every one has the highest grade CGC has ever certified for a given issue, and some are the highest by a wide margin.

– To date, CGC has certified a total of ten individual copies in the #s 1–80 issue range to be 9.6 (there is no 9.8 in that range). Of the ten copies, eight are offered in this auction.

– The auction includes a total of two 9.8 copies, 23 certified 9.6, 40 certified 9.4, and 19 certified 9.2.

Last Time I put the run together I was getting a lot of the Scrooges from #10-30 from lonestar for $3 each!

I checked and yes they have really low grade for that price. I guess I can't make myself go that low in grade, esp. for Scrooge. Go figure.

How many times did you put the run together?

I have only had 1-36, and I have had that twice before. Right now I am after WDCS 1-300 then I I'll probably go after the complete barks scrooge run once I am down to the unaffodable WDCS.

For me I don't mind US & post #100 WDCS in low grade because they are so common I am uncomfortable spending a lot on them and I am mainly getting them to read anyway. A cover I really like I will spring for a nice copy though.

I have only had 1-36, and I have had that twice before. Right now I am after WDCS 1-300 then I I'll probably go after the complete barks scrooge run once I am down to the unaffodable WDCS.

How'd you go finding a #6? I started a thread in the WTB forum last year about it. It is a very tough issue in mid to high grade. Only two in the census (an 8.0 and a 6.5 from memory) compared to 20-odd for the ones around it.

I'm still looking for one - I have 1-71 in 6.0 or better except for that one. I'd settle for a nice 5.0 There were two overgraded "VF"s on ebay last year (both were about 7.0). Both went well above guide for VF and I was the underbidder on both. :frustrated:

Anyone else have this problem?

Here's a little press release in CGC's newsletter which nicely summarizes how staggering the WDCS run on Heritage really is. It was also cool realizing that I had previously owned one of the two 9.6s from 1-80 that was not featured in this auction.

Best-Ever Run of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories in February 26–28 Heritage Auction

CGC's highest-graded copy of almost every Walt Disney's Comics and Stories issue from 1940 through the mid-1950s will be auctioned without reserve in Heritage Auction Galleries’ February Signature Comic and Comic Art auction, the Dallas-based firm announced.

– 122 different issues from #2 through #188 will be offered.

– Almost every one has the highest grade CGC has ever certified for a given issue, and some are the highest by a wide margin.

– To date, CGC has certified a total of ten individual copies in the #s 1–80 issue range to be 9.6 (there is no 9.8 in that range). Of the ten copies, eight are offered in this auction.

– The auction includes a total of two 9.8 copies, 23 certified 9.6, 40 certified 9.4, and 19 certified 9.2.

tth2:

Despite the HA press release, the only thing that keeps me from agressively spending 'like there is no tomorrow' on these is the fear that the rumored better copies in a warehouse or Geppi's collection has yet to be slabbed (and when they do, those will be the highest grade).

Anyone else share the same concerns ?

- Hank

Who knows? Without better information into what lurks in Geppi's vaults (which I note that he's not obligated to disclose), there are a few possible scenarios:

1. Bid like a wuss and lose the books, in which case 2 of the possible outcomes are:

(a) the books turn out to be just the tip of the iceberg and a flood of equal or better copies comes on the market pulling prices down, in which case you chose correctly and hopefully will still get a book that you want at a cheaper price; or

(b) that was it, there is no flood, the book turns out to be as rare as advertised and you don't see the book on the market again until you're ready for the retirement home, at which time it will cost 100X more thanks to decades of Weimar Republic-like inflation

or

2. Bid like a drunken sailor and win the books, in which case 2 of the possible outcomes are:

(a) the books turn out to be just the tip of the iceberg and a flood of equal or better copies comes on the market pulling prices down, in which case you chose incorrectly and go to your deathbed knowing that your hated competitors got better copies at a fraction of what you paid; or

(b) that was it, there is no flood, the book turns out to be as rare as advertised and you gleefully genuflect before your one-of-a-kind acquisition every day for the next few decades, and then when you're ready for the retirement home, you sell it for 100X more at that time thanks to decades of Weimar Republic-like inflation

The point is that like most things in life, it's a calculated gamble. At the end of the day, all you have to do is ask yourself 2 questions:

1. How badly do I want the book?

2. What is the most I'm willing to pay for the book?

And then bid and let the chips fall where they may. Don't fall victim to "paralysis by over-analysis".