• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

My absolute favorite WDCS cover

3296019314_fbcde0af61_o.jpg

Same here -- the more I see it, the more I like it.

Is it an especially hot (and by that I mean expensive) issue?

Jack

It's a truly difficult one to find, and that makes it pricey. A FR could probably be had for $30-40 though. It's a book that does multiples of guide on ebay, but on a dealer list you could luck out.

I like all 3 dwarf covers, I think it adds a great variety to the Duck onslaught. I also really like the coloring, it's odd & stands out from the others, but most of all I love the Gag With the upright Bass staring Down Donald. It's odd and a bit dark. The detail by Kelly is another factor, the little faces on the drum sticks, the "Black Forest" door trim & window & the overall action of the 3 characters.

Who knows? Without better information into what lurks in Geppi's vaults (which I note that he's not obligated to disclose), there are a few possible scenarios:

[...]

The point is that like most things in life, it's a calculated gamble. At the end of the day, all you have to do is ask yourself 2 questions:

1. How badly do I want the book?

2. What is the most I'm willing to pay for the book?

And then bid and let the chips fall where they may. Don't fall victim to "paralysis by over-analysis".

I agree with all you say. What I fear has been missing is a realistic understanding of the known supply and associated risks among the collectors that have started in the last 10 years. The run that is listed at Heritage is clearly exceptional, but there is some risk that it is not as exceptional as you would be led to believe without detailed knowledge of the market in the 70s and early 80s. I may be bidding on some of the books myself, but I am factoring in this risk in my bids. My main concern is the long term stability of the market for these books: I would like to continue to have a stable supply for many years to come. A couple of years ago, I posted my concern for the record prices that were being paid for higher grades, especially a lot of the so-so material from the Crippen collection. A bubble is not healthy in any context and I am concerned to see books like the WDCS 43, which sold for $8,300 in 2007, relisted so quickly. Honestly, I can't see it selling for more than a tiny fraction of that today. Still, results like this may create an inflated and unrealistic picture of what these books are worth. Steadily growing prices would be much healthier long term.

One funny aspect of this, which Transplant alluded to, is that the staff at Gemstone is reading these boards and could very easily post a statement from Geppi or Snyder if they wanted to share their knowledge. They are certainly not required to do so, but I don't see how anyone could disagree that this has relevance for someone who might be thinking about bidding into 6 figures for the February run at Heritage. The apparently deliberate reluctance to provide transparency constitutes a further risk that is affecting my own bids. Consequently, I doubt I will win anything this time. If Geppi would share his knowledge about how rare these books really are, I would absolutely, no question, bid higher.

Just for the record, I am not trying to scare anyone away by spreading rumors. The warehouse finds I am referring to are coming from multiple reliable sources and several extremely knowledgeable collectors have told me that they've avoided high grade Dells because of the risks ("Timely" has said so on the boards, for example). For some reason, this seems to be a strangely hot potato among both collectors and dealers and very few people want to talk about it publicly.

I like all 3 dwarf covers, I think it adds a great variety to the Duck onslaught. I also really like the coloring, it's odd & stands out from the others, but most of all I love the Gag With the upright Bass staring Down Donald. It's odd and a bit dark. The detail by Kelly is another factor, the little faces on the drum sticks, the "Black Forest" door trim & window & the overall action of the 3 characters.

I was thinking about that question after I posted my "me too!"

Not to get too pompous about it, but I read somewhere about the seven dwarfs as archetypical personalities -- I think that's part of what makes the dwarf covers so good. Whenever Kelly drew them, he really made the personalities sparkle! (This is a Kelly cover, right?) Just take a look at Four Color 49 -- another gem! (Buettner didn't do so badly either on FC 19.) Dopey almost always ends up in the spotlight because he's so wonderfully child-like, and after all they were selling these books to kids at the time. Do you have a primo copy of WDCS 43 yet? Another gem featuring Dopey.

Jack

73982.jpg

So, on this book from .5, is this Beak Bondage?

Should someone email CGC and ask them to put this on any future notes? :insane:

EXACTLY, but I was thinking Overstreet notes.

Bondage cover, injury to the eye motif, beak abuse, lingerie panels...

See, it fits right in. Who's got Bob Overstreet's ear?

Jack

73982.jpg

Jack

lol

Yeah, it's a kelly cover. The personalities he gives them are remarkable no doubt! I do not have a #43 yet, it's been eluding me. :(

I give it another week and Mr. Duck Avarice here will have a copy in his collection

73982.jpg

Jack

I laughed out loud at that one Jack lol Thanks! Everytime I read beak abuse cover in future iterations of the guide I will chuckle.

I'll include it with my report to Bob for next years' guide. Make me a comprehensive list will you?

73982.jpg

Jack

I laughed out loud at that one Jack lol Thanks! Everytime I read beak abuse cover in future iterations of the guide I will chuckle.

I'll include it with my report to Bob for next years' guide. Make me a comprehensive list will you?

Hey, I'm not the one with the massive duck collection. Matthew, prepare a memo for ciorac at your earliest convenience.

I think it should be the topic of the Friday night seminar at the next Pons Con.

"Beak Abuse: The Straw That Triggered Wertham's Wrath?"

Jack

73982.jpg

Jack

Yes, that's got to be my favorite post ever in the Duck thread :).

73982.jpg

Jack

Of course, for ducks it should be Bill Abuse, but I didn't want to alarm ciorac.

Besides, I'm concerned for the welfare of the beaks of all of our feathered friends -- eaglelitarian, you might say.

Jack

or you might not

73982.jpg

Jack

Of course, for ducks it should be Bill Abuse, but I didn't want to alarm ciorac.

Besides, I'm concerned for the welfare of the beaks of all of our feathered friends -- eaglelitarian, you might say.

Jack

or you might not

:roflmao: Your best post ever!!!