• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,467 posts in this topic

From the stratosphere of the tb MMM collection, we return to the troposphere that is the AJD WDC&S 1 - 100 collection.

I've had an excellent run recently, and have added eight new copies to my collection, including four under #50. Well, nominally - six of them are somewhere in transit.

Here's the first two to arrive, which take me past the 50/100 mark on hand. I'm going to try to do a 50 issue group shot next weekend. (And, no, I haven't amped up the colour on my scanner - I try to pick issues with strong eye appeal even if they are mid grade. The #90 looks better in hand - the scuffing on the spine isn't that obvious.)

wdcs_062.jpg

wdcs_090.jpg

Very nice Andrew, look forward to the group shot.

hm That 62 looks like a very rare and highly collectible "Beak Abuse in Prospect" genre.

Now, if tb's books are in the stratosphere and yours inhabit the troposphere I'd reckon mine would be found somewhere in the magma layer of the Earth.

Not the Earth's core, though. That'd just be silly.

Very nice Andrew, look forward to the group shot.

hm That 62 looks like a very rare and highly collectible "Beak Abuse in Prospect" genre.

Now, if tb's books are in the stratosphere exosphere and yours inhabit the troposphere I'd reckon mine would be found somewhere in the magma layer of the Earth.

Not the Earth's core, though. That'd just be silly.

Fixed. I don't think anything comes close to tb's set! :o I think my own books would be located in the Earth's crust. :facepalm::wishluck:

Look great, AJD. It's fun to follow your progress: seems like you picked a great time to build your run. I got to see some fabulous WDCS with Kelly covers last week, including the one with Donald pointing a toy gun at a bee on his beak. There are some truly fantastic Disney collections out there that make my own pale in comparison. Hopefully we can convince more of the owners to share them online someday.

From the stratosphere of the tb MMM collection, we return to the troposphere that is the AJD WDC&S 1 - 100 collection.

I've had an excellent run recently, and have added eight new copies to my collection, including four under #50. Well, nominally - six of them are somewhere in transit.

Here's the first two to arrive, which take me past the 50/100 mark on hand. I'm going to try to do a 50 issue group shot next weekend. (And, no, I haven't amped up the colour on my scanner - I try to pick issues with strong eye appeal even if they are mid grade. The #90 looks better in hand - the scuffing on the spine isn't that obvious.)

wdcs_062.jpg

wdcs_090.jpg

Nice! I'm looking forward to the group shot! (thumbs u

Andrew, congratulations! At my snail like pace of collecting this title I will catch up with you in about 40 years. I will be a little old to enjoy the books then though. I am always amazed that I still see covers in the first 100 issues (like 62 above) that I don't recall seeing before.

Can't wait to see the group shot, it might inspire me to pull out some books and do something similar although I suspect I would be hard pressed to pull 20 out under 100 at this point.

One of the projects I was working on was getting all the Four Color (Series II) Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge books in 8.0+ or above.

I got pretty close to completing them (no 29 or 62).

Scans can be seen here.

http://s1006.photobucket.com/albums/af190/davidcomics/Barks%20Ducks/

(One book is missing as TB had a friend that wanted the 263).

Like my Marvel Comics I have been madly selling in the the G/S/B Sales area I have decided to move my Ducks. What I am unsure of is what would be the best venue or way to go about hence I come to wise sages of the Disney thread for advice.

David, your collection is amazing - I was just admiring your Marvels, only to come here and see that your ducks are just as nice. (worship)

I was hoping you had a FC 238, because I could have found a home for that...

But to answer your question, the best prices for ducks IMHO are on Heritage, but they also take a big cut. Sparkle City on eBay get good prices, but I'm not sure what their consignment fee is. They have a presence on the boards, so you could ask them.

I'm not sure about Clink or CC - they sometimes get good prices but it seems to be a bit hit and miss. I think they have lower consignment fees though. Give Lonestar a wide berth - their duck prices in auction have been low (God bless 'em).

I'm sure other more knowledgable types will chime in. That's all just my 2c as a frequent browser and sometimes buyer.

Edited by AJD

But to answer your question, the best prices for ducks IMHO are on Heritage, but they also take a big cut. Sparkle City on eBay get good prices, but I'm not sure what their consignment fee is. They have a presence on the boards, so you could ask them.

I'm not sure about Clink or CC - they sometimes get good prices but it seems to be a bit hit and miss. I think they have lower consignment fees though. Give Lonestar a wide berth - their duck prices in auction have been low (God bless 'em).

I'm sure other more knowledgable types will chime in. That's all just my 2c as a frequent browser and sometimes buyer.

Yeah I am hoping someone will tell me something I don't know such as how to access the European market that loves Duck books (or someone on the boards who would know someone who would want them as I am not going to be asking sky high prices). Of the three auction sites Heritage I think does the best for Ducks but they take pound of flesh in doing so. ComicLink has been a great place to buy Ducks as prices are generally quite reasonable but they do a bit better on Ducks now (but still on the low side).

Look great, AJD. It's fun to follow your progress: seems like you picked a great time to build your run. I got to see some fabulous WDCS with Kelly covers last week, including the one with Donald pointing a toy gun at a bee on his beak. There are some truly fantastic Disney collections out there that make my own pale in comparison. Hopefully we can convince more of the owners to share them online someday.

The pop gun / bee cover is my favorite of the entire run.

Last night I was looking through my early Disney comics and thought that you might enjoy seeing the covers of the quartet of Large Feature Comics. These were oversized books, about 11 3/8" x 8 1/2", with very flimsy covers and coarse interior paper for the black and white comics. They are all hard to find, and some are truly rare, if not almost impossible to find in high grade. When I first met Matt Nelson years ago, the LFC #20 was one of the few remaining books he needed for his collection of missing covers for the Gerber book. I like the books because they just look old, and the back covers of the first three are especially interesting and hardly ever seen.

LFC #16 introduces Daisey Duck in a one-page color story on the back cover, with only the front and back covers having color, which was characteristic of the series. LFC #19 is one of the two Disney comic paint books in the series. It also has a great back cover of a clown from Dumbo's circus that most people have never seen. LFC #20 is the other comic paint book and it is best known for introducing Donald's nephews. It also shows Donald sitting up on a tree limb on the back cover, which was a most unusual setting, perhaps suggestive of his regression to the behavior of a wild duck. Finally, LFC #7, Pluto Saves the Ship, is now accepted as containing the first work of Carl Barks in comic books. As you can tell, all of these books have historical significance as well as beautiful early Disney art. The clown is one of my favorite pieces of art in any Disney comic book.

LFC16DonaldDuckobverse.jpg

LFC16DonaldDuckreverse.jpg

LFC19DumboComicPaintBookobverse.jpg

LFC19DumboComicPaintBookreverse.jpg

LFC20DonaldDuckComicPaintBookobverse.jpg

LFC20DonaldDuckComicPaintBookreverse.jpg

LFC7PlutoSavestheShipobv-1.jpg

I think the Large Feature Disney books are fun for a few different reasons. The two Duck books with Taliaferro reprints in b/w comic and paint book format are late examples of the experiments that I like so much about the 1935-40 period. The high quality artwork make them visually attractive, closely resembling the 1938 Bubble Pipe book which I find more important historically. "Pluto Saves the Ship" features a quite un-Disney story with a war theme that has a bit of the same feel as "Too Many Pets" from FC 29. I think this book is underrated and actually made a video recording of my own copy a while back, which I unfortunately couldn't post because I forgot to turn off location services on my iPhone. I don't recall ever seeing an article about WW2 stories in Disney books, but I would love to see more examples of how and when Gottfredson, Taliaferro, Barks etc. incorporated the war into their stories.

Last night I was looking through my early Disney comics and thought that you might enjoy seeing the covers of the quartet of Large Feature Comics.

You were right! Cool books!

(thumbs u

Thanks for sharing the scans and describing the contents of these. I think the Dumbo might be my favorite cover but they all certainly have their charm.

I must be really out of touch because I had not heard about the Pluto story being Barks' first work. I don't think I've read it.

LFC19DumboComicPaintBookobverse.jpg

Thanks for sharing the scans and describing the contents of these. I think the Dumbo might be my favorite cover but they all certainly have their charm.

I must be really out of touch because I had not heard about the story being Barks' first work. I don't think I've read it.

LFC7PlutoSavestheShipobv-1.jpg

This is what he was referring to as Barks' first work, not the Dumbo book.