• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

Here's a photo from hanging out with Don Rosa at a San Diego con probably about ten years ago. This was after he had stopped working for Disney doing comics and he was telling me his tales of that part of his life. I think it was prior to his eye problems though and as I recall the booth was the dealer who was selling his collection of books he had bought off the stands.

Don is an entertaining guy and if you ever get a chance to talk to him at a show I highly recommend it.

That's awesome! I spent time with him in '91. At the time he used to have original pages available for $100 and ful colored pages for $300. Man, what a dummy I was not to buy all that. He was really friendly and did not exhibit any ego. I was a dealer and knew the promoter well so got some time entertaining after the show. Great experience.

I would buy an English translation if anyone from Disney happens to be reading. :):wishluck:

If they want, they can make it happen. David Gerstein is an enthousiast and it seems Disney is responsive: they are presenting many classic stories which never saw the light of day in USA (along with recent material of varying interest), so maybe we just have to support IDW a bit… :)

It's Thanksgiving so with a little downtime I thought I would tackle sorting out some of my early WDCS books. I took advantage of the initial sort to do a little photo shoot. I know I have a few more buried around but these are the nice ones!

Great collection!

Indeed! :cloud9: – 40Yrs, do you have the first Gremlins (with Gremlins on cover)? I’d love to pick that issue sooner or later.

8814136400_6615ba987e_b.jpg

I think I have two copies of the Gremlin issue. Wasn't it originally a Roald Dahl story?

I believe that is correct and I think Dahl was working with Disney around this time. Of course other than Gremlins you'd have to wait until the nineties and James and the Giant Peach to see another Disney adaptation. That's a good movie if you haven't seen it.

Great books, Frank and Andrew! It is always wonderful to see someone putting together a nice run of any of the ducks, but especially the WDCS title. Uncle Scrooge and/or the Donald Duck Four Colors are generally available but the WDCS run takes real dedication. Congratulations!

It's Thanksgiving so with a little downtime I thought I would tackle sorting out some of my early WDCS books. I took advantage of the initial sort to do a little photo shoot. I know I have a few more buried around but these are the nice ones!
(2) #98s! :applause:

I reached the 80% mark of WDC&S 1-100 today. In celebration (and thanks again to Frank for the idea), here's a virtual group shot of the 28 books I have in the 1-48 run.Plenty of work still to do though. And the Aussie dollar mightn't help...

th_wdcamps_006_zpsf4279f95.jpgth_wdcamps_007_zpsww81nkg0.jpgth_WDCampS_009_zpsiwkrozlb.jpgth_wdcamps_012_zps3qmtxdin.jpg

th_wdcs_013.jpgth_wdcamps_015_zps6byd1xj6.jpgth_wdcamps_016_zpsrh1hinn0.jpgth_wdcs_017.jpg

th_WDCampS_019_zpschm68qag.jpgth_wdcs20.jpgth_wdcamps_022_zpsmw90zkmf.jpgth_wdcamps_023_zpsnqbsksaw.jpg

th_wdcamps_024_zps3z9ioqat.jpgth_wdcamps_025_zpsii1uros0.jpgth_wdcs_26.jpgth_wdcs_027.jpg

th_WDCS28.jpgth_wdcs_029.jpgth_wdcs_030.jpgth_wdcamps_031_zpsafsffs9x.jpg

th_wdcamps_032_zpsuuwh00e1.jpgth_wdcamps_037_zpszvqhpzdq.jpgth_WDCampS_038_zpsbknahr1c.jpgth_wdcs_039_ebay.jpg

th_WDCampS_040_zpsfvygxvlx.jpgth_wdcamps_044_zpsaa2e41e8.jpgth_wdcs_046.jpgth_wdcamps_047_zpsb383e397.jpg

I reached the 80% mark of WDC&S 1-100 today. In celebration (and thanks again to Frank for the idea), here's a virtual group shot of the 28 books I have in the 1-48 run.Plenty of work still to do though. And the Aussie dollar mightn't help...

th_wdcamps_006_zpsf4279f95.jpgth_wdcamps_007_zpsww81nkg0.jpgth_WDCampS_009_zpsiwkrozlb.jpgth_wdcamps_012_zps3qmtxdin.jpg

th_wdcs_013.jpgth_wdcamps_015_zps6byd1xj6.jpgth_wdcamps_016_zpsrh1hinn0.jpgth_wdcs_017.jpg

th_WDCampS_019_zpschm68qag.jpgth_wdcs20.jpgth_wdcamps_022_zpsmw90zkmf.jpgth_wdcamps_023_zpsnqbsksaw.jpg

th_wdcamps_024_zps3z9ioqat.jpgth_wdcamps_025_zpsii1uros0.jpgth_wdcs_26.jpgth_wdcs_027.jpg

th_WDCS28.jpgth_wdcs_029.jpgth_wdcs_030.jpgth_wdcamps_031_zpsafsffs9x.jpg

th_wdcamps_032_zpsuuwh00e1.jpgth_wdcamps_037_zpszvqhpzdq.jpgth_WDCampS_038_zpsbknahr1c.jpgth_wdcs_039_ebay.jpg

th_WDCampS_040_zpsfvygxvlx.jpgth_wdcamps_044_zpsaa2e41e8.jpgth_wdcs_046.jpgth_wdcamps_047_zpsb383e397.jpg

Congrats Andrew! Did you pick up any books with Heritage last night? I managed to nab five decent copies that will make my Christmas bright. When they arrive I'll post a photo.

I would buy an English translation if anyone from Disney happens to be reading. :):wishluck:

If they want, they can make it happen. David Gerstein is an enthousiast and it seems Disney is responsive: they are presenting many classic stories which never saw the light of day in USA (along with recent material of varying interest), so maybe we just have to support IDW a bit… :)

Great collection!

Indeed! :cloud9: – 40Yrs, do you have the first Gremlins (with Gremlins on cover)? I’d love to pick that issue sooner or later.

8814136400_6615ba987e_b.jpg

I think I have two copies of the Gremlin issue. Wasn't it originally a Roald Dahl story?

I believe that is correct and I think Dahl was working with Disney around this time. Of course other than Gremlins you'd have to wait until the nineties and James and the Giant Peach to see another Disney adaptation. That's a good movie if you haven't seen it.

Indeed. I would love the illustrated book as well… :cloud9:

Congrats Andrew! Did you pick up any books with Heritage last night? I managed to nab five decent copies that will make my Christmas bright. When they arrive I'll post a photo.

Great Frank! I thought prices were pretty good for buyers yesterday. The #19 and #40 in my 'group shot' were from that auction. I wish I'd got the #21 as well, but I was the underbidder on that one. What did you get? (Hope we weren't bidding against each other!)

Great Frank! I thought prices were pretty good for buyers yesterday. The #19 and #40 in my 'group shot' were from that auction. I wish I'd got the #21 as well, but I was the underbidder on that one. What did you get? (Hope we weren't bidding against each other!)

59, 62, 68, 71, and 78. I didn't push the bids too high as there was no need with so many books on offer and limited bidders. I only wanted a couple but the prices were too good to pass up so I grabbed a few others.

Here's a photo from hanging out with Don Rosa at a San Diego con probably about ten years ago. This was after he had stopped working for Disney doing comics and he was telling me his tales of that part of his life. I think it was prior to his eye problems though and as I recall the booth was the dealer who was selling his collection of books he had bought off the stands.

Don is an entertaining guy and if you ever get a chance to talk to him at a show I highly recommend it.

I spoke with Don Rosa at an Albuquerque con a few years ago. Nice guy although he was a little stand offish until I proved I was a fan by telling him the name of the story for one of his prints. :) Once he realized I was a "True fan" he was extremely gracious and talked to my wife and I for a little while. We bought a few prints while wishing he would do an original "something" for us.

Nice guy and I wish Disney would do something for him like they did for Carl Barks.

Love Barks ducks (much longer than have loved GGA). Was fortunate to spend some time (had dinner and conversation) with Don Rosa in the early 90's. He did a couple nice sketches for me back then and unfortunately in a tight spot years back I sold them to qkick. Could get more if I wanted to now but nothing quite beats having the one you watched him draw.

Well, here are a few of my favorites that I hung onto.

IMG_8899.jpgwindows screenshot

IMG_8904.jpgadult photo sharing

These are great books and I hope to buy a copy of one of them in the new year. :wishluck:

Great group shot Frank. :applause:

When I got to 50% of the 1-100 run I tried a group shot, but it was hard to arrange. The stairs help a lot - just wish I had some. lol

Here's a virtual group shot I put together of my #49-100 copies. I'll do the earlier ones when I get a chance.

th_wdcamps_049_zps15b87d91.jpgth_wdcs_050.jpgth_wdcamps_051_zps897d3c95.jpgth_wdcamps_052_zpse6757648.jpg

th_wdcamps_053_zpsbde866c0.jpgth_image_zpse8b68760.jpgth_wdcs_055.jpgth_wdcs_056.jpg

th_wdcs_057.jpgth_wdcs58_front.jpgth_wdcs_059.jpgth_wdcs_060.jpg

th_wdcs_061.jpgth_wdcs_062.jpgth_WDCS63.jpgth_wdcamps_064_zps9f795253.jpg

th_wdcs_065.jpgth_wdcs_066.jpgth_wdcs_067.jpgth_wdcs_068.jpg

th_wdcs_69.jpgth_wdcs70.jpgth_wdcs_071.jpgth_wdcs_072.jpg

th_wdcs_073.jpgth_wdcs_074_metro.jpgth_wdcs75.jpgth_wdcs_076.jpg

th_wdcs_077.jpgth_wdcs_78.jpgth_wdcs_079.jpgth_wdcs_080.jpg

th_wdcs_081.jpgth_wdcs_082.jpgth_wdcs_083.jpgth_wdcs_084.jpg

th_wdcs_085.jpgth_wdcs_86.jpgth_wdcs_087.jpgth_wdcs88.jpg

th_wdcs_089.jpgth_wdcs_090.jpgth_wdcs91.jpgth_wdcs_092.jpg

th_wdcs_093.jpgth_wdcs94.jpgth_wdcs_095.jpgth_wdcs_096.jpg

th_wdcs_097.jpgth_wdcs_098.jpgth_wdcs99.jpgth_wdcs_100.jpg

I tried to do a group shot but my stair well is not long enough and the lighting is poor. :( Hats off to anyone able to assemble a run of WDC&S. They are well worth the effort as it is really fun to read the originals. The reprints just lack ...

Just getting caught up from Thanksgiving. Please excuse the multiple posts in arow.

Great run of books! :applause:

I tried to do a group shot but my stair well is not long enough and the lighting is poor. :( Hats off to anyone able to assemble a run of WDC&S. They are well worth the effort as it is really fun to read the originals. The reprints just lack ...

I couldn't agree more about the fun and feel of reading the originals. The visceral feel of holding 52 thick pages of Disney fun is not to be missed. Plus the quality of all the stories is quite high whether it be Bucky Bug, Lil Bad Wolf, the strip reprints or the Mickey Mouse serials. Dell comics are good comics!!

I couldn't agree more about the fun and feel of reading the originals. The visceral feel of holding 52 thick pages of Disney fun is not to be missed. Plus the quality of all the stories is quite high whether it be Bucky Bug, Lil Bad Wolf, the strip reprints or the Mickey Mouse serials. Dell comics are good comics!!

AGREED! (thumbs u

mm