• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

CIS%20Firestone%20Christmas%20giveaway%20comics%20set.jpg

Firestone started the Christmas giveaway comic series with the Famous Gang of Comics starring Bug Bunny and his friends in 1942. They switched to Donald Duck and the Disney group the following year.

:cloud9: Famous Gang :golfclap: Cool set!

+1. I don't recall having seen the Famous Gang issue before and didn't realize that it was part of the series.

BOOT posted a copy not too far back, and yes even for me as a Looney Tunes fan, I never knew it existed and was surprised it started out as a series which evolved into a Disney series. A facinating piece of animation history that i'd love the back story to (even though Bugs Bunny was popular already at the time of this books publication, he was still a 'rising' star at this time: Did Disney 'outbid' Warners for the Firestone exclusive?.

Anyway rewind to last year a year ago tomorrow (on my Birthday no less), i was having one of those sleepless nights. I hear an alert go off on my phone: eBay had a 'buy it now' copy listed. Price seemed 'high' for the grade, and there was a 'make an offer', but i knew Overstreet lists it as rare, and my PM's with Yellow Kid on the matter seemed to confirm that. So i thought, do i make an offer and wait, risking someone probably paying the asking price? Well, you KNOW how it ended! :D The back cover ties in the 'Christmas' aspect. From the stamp, it's nice knowing where and what Auto establishment my copy originally circulated.

Famous%20Gang%20Book%20of%20Comics%20nn_zpsvd3vz5kz.jpg

FGBOC%20bc_zps52aqw0x9.jpg

Great book, would you mind posting some interior shots! I always like the books with stamps too, as it gives it a life so to speak.

Ask and ye shall receive :grin:

Here are two pics i took with my iPad after acquiring it: A splash of Bugs in the classic 'Tortoise/Hare rivalry. This one was also a short.

FullSizeRender%206_zpskgodqpeh.jpg

And here's Porky in a story with some of the Famous movie stars of the day making cameos: Cagney, Stewart, and Marx

FullSizeRender%205_zpsw3ianwjd.jpg

CIS%20Firestone%20Christmas%20giveaway%20comics%20set.jpg

Firestone started the Christmas giveaway comic series with the Famous Gang of Comics starring Bug Bunny and his friends in 1942. They switched to Donald Duck and the Disney group the following year.

:cloud9: Famous Gang :golfclap: Cool set!
I had never seen a or heard of the famous gang of comics. :applause:

Here are two pics i took with my iPad after acquiring it: A splash of Bugs in the classic 'Tortoise/Hare rivalry. This one was also a short.

And here's Porky in a story with some of the Famous movie stars of the day making cameos: Cagney, Stewart, and Marx

Who are those movie stars??

First panel: The waiter is??

Second panel, James Cagney?, Groucho Marx, Harpo Marx

Third panel: Talulah Bankhead??

Fifth panel: Jimmy Stewart?

Seventh panel: Miscellaneous studio mogul, or is he supposed to be someone in particular?

Who are those movie stars??

First panel: The waiter is??

Second panel, James Cagney?, Groucho Marx, Harpo Marx

Third panel: Talulah Bankhead??

Fifth panel: Jimmy Stewart?

Seventh panel: Miscellaneous studio mogul, or is he supposed to be someone in particular?

Stories are reprinted from LTMM 2. GCD says that 3rd pane, is Dorothy Lamour. I don't have either the Firestone issue or LTMM 2 so I don't know for sure.

Don't think the waiter is 'anyone'. Yes on all other guess'. I didn't 'catch Tallulah. Good eye!

The mogul is Leon Schlesinger:Then WB animation /Looney Tunes studio head.

Of course!

Thanks for posting; very fun!

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments. Sorry to have 'hijacked' the Duck Thread with Looney Tunes' but the Firestone connection was a deserved segue. But just to put things back on track, my only (for now anyway)Duck/Disney book. And it is a Firestone giveaway too!

Donald%20amp%20Mickey%20Merry%20Christmas%20Firestone%201944_zps4qm9smzk.jpg

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming... :D

Well my recent Heritage haul of WDCS under #100 arrived today which will make for some fun Christmas reading. I haven't got the train under the tree yet but these comics sure look good under there! Imagine these rolled up in your stocking on a Christmas morning in 1946!!

Great pic and those are some really nice looking books.

Well my recent Heritage haul of WDCS under #100 arrived today which will make for some fun Christmas reading. I haven't got the train under the tree yet but these comics sure look good under there! Imagine these rolled up in your stocking on a Christmas morning in 1946!!

Great pic and those are some really nice looking books.

+1. ????

Very cool.

I'm assuming you don't have kids or pets! :D

Very nice! How many are you missing now below #100?

Very cool.

I'm assuming you don't have kids or pets! :D

No we have both; the dog was with me when the picture was taken and the kids were doing homework. Needless to say the comics were only temporarily in place for the picture. My daughter plays viola so she enjoyed the book with Donald playing violin! I told her that was part of her inheritance!

Very nice! How many are you missing now below #100?

Five less than two days ago!! lol!! I think I have about 40 now but don't have the count in front of me. A long slog to come.

I'll try to post some interior shots over the holidays. I opened the earliest issue up last night from 1945 and it had some interesting Barks work.