• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,432 posts in this topic

Picked this up on a business trip once. I had just purchased an OO collection of BA romance, about 120 Marvel/DC/Charlton, and headed to my hotel. On the way, I saw the LCS and spotted this from the window. I went back to the car, thumbed through the collection, pulled out a Night Nurse #1, and walked the rest in and negotiated a trade. I got a couple much lesser books thrown in too, but this is what I went I for.

image_zpsg4yibi3s.jpeg

Who did this cover? It's pretty nice... :cloud9:

16555045501_6221bf1c43_c.jpg

I like the covers Buetner did. He also did some of the early Duck Four Colors; including Frozen Gold. Kelly's duck covers in the forties are more charming than the early fifties; some of which start to get a little busy. Too much Pogo by then perhaps?

Probably my fav. duck cover. The sentiment conveyed is very relatable and the expressions communicative. Amazing accomplishment through anthropomorphic cartoon animals.

File7653-752x1024.jpg

For a long time I thought this was a Christmas cover until I realized that the candy, flowers, and March cover date meant it was a Valentine's Day cover. doh!

Who was the crappy duck artist who did these covers and others in the same style...? I can't stand them... :ohnoez:

16406110969_a6fc873595_c.jpg

16591957905_4e0f2b72be_c.jpg

16591959525_51a39d7e9a_c.jpg

I'm not a great fan of Kelly's duck covers. Don't really like the heavy line work -- if that's the correct term. Also not crazy about the mayhem depicted on some of them (a point I've made a couple of times before), although these are pretty mild. Kelly's themes often seemed to reflect more the content of the DD movie shorts than the Barks DD 10-pagers, which Kelly didn't give much indication of having bothered to read.

Who was the crappy duck artist who did these covers and others in the same style...? I can't stand them... :ohnoez:

16406110969_a6fc873595_c.jpg

16591957905_4e0f2b72be_c.jpg

16591959525_51a39d7e9a_c.jpg

I'm not a great fan of Kelly's duck covers. Don't really like the heavy line work -- if that's the correct term. Also not crazy about the mayhem depicted on some of them (a point I've made a couple of times before), although these are pretty mild. Kelly's themes often seemed to reflect more the content of the DD movie shorts than the Barks DD 10-pagers, which Kelly didn't give much indication of having bothered to read.

Great minds think alike... hm

It's funny, I love Kelly's WDCS covers from the first 100 issues... #34, #36, #44, #69, #87 to throw out some random ones. There's probably a few dozen I like. But they were not consistently winners, and after #100 or so his style seems to get sketchier and sloppier.

It's funny, I love Kelly's WDCS covers from the first 100 issues... #34, #36, #44, #69, #87 to throw out some random ones. There's probably a few dozen I like. But they were not consistently winners, and after #100 or so his style seems to get sketchier and sloppier.

I will admit this is a good cover, not the best condition, but a good cover:

16388922139_9344355eb4_c.jpg