• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,468 posts in this topic

There are several reasons why I prefer the inked originals to the paintings. Part of it is a matter of taste and cultural differences. I grew up surrounded by "Danish Modern" (my brother-in-law now owns one of the biggest design stores in Denmark) and like the simple style of the ink drawings. The paintings just don't match with my personal taste in interior design but I absolutely respect that other collectors think differently. Second, I like the idea that the comic pages were done when Barks was at the peak of his career and completely unknown. Many of them have a "story" which I think the paintings lack.

In terms of prices, I think the market for the paintings is eclectic and unhealthy. The paintings are actually much more common than the inked pages and I'd personally rather buy an investment condo in Las Vegas right now than $100K+ Barks oil.

Ironically, I suspect part of the reason the OA is much less valuable than the oils today is because its rarity worked against it: When Bruce Hamilton started boosting the Barks brand back in the 70s, Barks had already sold or given away all his remaining comic book pages. There was nothing left for Hamilton to promote so the paintings, figurines etc. got all the hype.

I just wish he'd had barks recreate his classic covers. A FC199 recreation would sure look good right now.

The paintings... I've never seen one in person but I guess they look they look like Barks on acid instead of just plain old barks, if you know what I mean.

I`m not a fan of Barks` paintings. I think he`s a wonderful pen and ink artist, but a mediocre painter. Quite frankly, I find his paintings to be a bit kitsch.

Transplant: congratulations on the grades. I have not seen many high grade copies of #4 and 5. I may have a buyer for you if you might consider selling some day.

BB-gun: Fun to see the proof. Do you know what these were used for? I guess there must be printer's proofs of almost all Barks' pages since only a few stories (such as those from "March of Comics") had to be reprinted from the published comics for the various Carl Barks library editions(?). Such a shame that none of the original art from the mid- to late 40s exists today.

The grades won't make anyone jealous (I've seen worse -- heck, I have worse) but they've both got Barks stories and they're all mine!

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 205 1957

59573-wdc&s205.jpg

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 211 1958

59574-wdc&s211.jpg

Jack

Congrats on the Lemonade King

I don't recall that gag on the page below but I should. Even this little page has wonderful little Barks touches that make the zip along.

2553237909_8e24f2e53f.jpg

I think that was the only issue of Daisy's Diary that Barks is credited with. I would have to check to see if he wrote any of those other issues. Someone probably knows already and will save me the trouble.

bb

Nice copy of the 1937 linen book. It just never gets enough credit for being the first Donald comic. Course the fact that it's gigantic and linen backed doesn't help. Sold my copy last year that had rusty staples.

Nice copy of the 1937 linen book. It just never gets enough credit for being the first Donald comic. Course the fact that it's gigantic and linen backed doesn't help. Sold my copy last year that had rusty staples.

I think the linen book is 1935 and the hardcover is 1936. I have copies with and without the dust jacket.

bb

2144689313_9a7d135cf6.jpg