• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,453 posts in this topic

As promised, here is a checklist of the twelve Scrooge 60th anniversary posters by Don Rosa. I hope it is useful, but I had fun compiling it anyway.

Uncle Scrooge 60th Anniversary poster series

372 – ‘Early versions of Scrooge McDuck’; from Christmas on Bear Mountain (FC 178) to the Magic Hourglass (FC 291)

373 – ‘The number one dime’; menaced by Magica (US36), a giant ant (US33), winning the day in deepest Africa (US15) etc.

374 – ‘Strange beings’; Island in the Sky natives (US 29) Harpies (US12) Venusian King (US24) Martian (US 46) Microducks (US65) Merman (US69) Terries and Fermies (US13) King of Atlantis (US5) Faceless native (US48)

375 – ‘Scrooge’s early life’; scenes from the Life and Times series

376 – ‘The Money Bin’; six different Barks variants, including the corn crib from WDC&S 126 (my favourite ever Barks story and a lovely economics parable)

377 – ‘Scrooge’s Greatest treasures’; Goose egg nugget (FC456), candy-striped ruby (US41), golden fleece (US12), philosopher’s stone (US10), Terry-Fermy trophy (US13), 1916 quarter (US5), golden moon, 7 cities of Cibola (US7), bombastium (US17), crown of the Mayas (US44), Vulcan’s hammer (US34), pearls of Kuku Maru (US37), mines of King Solomon (US19)

378 – ‘The Beagle Boys’; includes appearances from various Barks and Rosa stories

379 – ‘Monsters’; Hound of the Whiskervilles (US29), Sleepless Dragon (US12), roc (US37), giant jellyfish (US41), giant robot robber (US58), Gu the abominable snowman (US14), Bombie the zombie (FC238), queen of the wild dogpack (US62), ghost (US56), ghost of Sir Quakly McDuck (FC189)

380 – ‘Lost realms’; Castle McDuck (FC189), Valhalla (US34), Colchis (US12), Tangkor Wat (US20), Incan Gold Mines (US26), throne room of King Minos (US10), 5 of Cibola’s 7 cities (US7), Terry-Fermy (US13), Atlantis (US5), Tralla La (US6)

381 – ‘Flintheart Glomgold’; from Barks stories from US 15, 27 and 61

382 – ‘Magica de Spell’; from US 40, 43, 45 and 48, WDC 258, 265

383 – I just realised I haven’t picked this up from my LCS yet! TBA…

While I'm posting, here is a Christmas present I got from my wonderful wife.

scroge60.jpg

She was strangely insistent that I open it up and leaf through. Here's why :o

scrooge60_inside.jpg

I'm glad I bought her a really nice present!

While I'm posting, here is a Christmas present I got from my wonderful wife.

scroge60.jpg

She was strangely insistent that I open it up and leaf through. Here's why :o

scrooge60_inside.jpg

I'm glad I bought her a really nice present!

Wow :o I wonder when he signed it?

It was bought from a family who were sometimes house guests with the Barks back in the 1970s and 80s. They had about a dozen signed copies, and decided to sell some of them. No COA, alas, but still a great item to own.

It was bought from a family who were sometimes house guests with the Barks back in the 1970s and 80s. They had about a dozen signed copies, and decided to sell some of them. No COA, alas, but still a great item to own.

(thumbs u

Congratulations, AJD, that was a very thoughtful present.

Barks' signature changed over the years. Perhaps it would be possible to date it with some research... Barks would sign anything towards the end of his life but I have never heard of a book signed in the 70s. Does anyone know if he did signings at the conventions back then? I have an original that a previous owner told me he got signed in the early 70s for $100.

I don't recall hearing of Barks attending conventions but he definitely had visitors in the late 60s and 70s so it's very likely that there are a number of authentic signed items from that time.

Well, the last twelve issues of Uncle Scrooge have had Rosa back covers celebrating the 60th anniversary of FC 178. That would be issues 372-383. Given the great public service you've done with your list (thank you - I've been meaning to do that for ages), I'll volunteer to list the themes. I'll get to it later today.

AJD: It would be interesting to hear which Rosa stories are considered as classics? For Barks, most fans would probably agree that "Only a Poor Old Man", "Lost in the Andes", "Christmas on Bear Mountain" etc. are keys and that the original art would have been the most desirable if it had existed. Any thoughts on Rosa?

ciorac: Thanks for the increcible CC photo. As for the V5#4, few people probably realize just how difficult it is to find some of these larger sized issues in nice condition. For several of them, I have never seen a copy better than FN which makes them far more challenging than any issue from V3 and V4. Luckily for my own run, I picked up two nice copies of #4 around 2001 (one of them from moondog, who told me it was the nicest he had seen). Nothing high grade since then.

There was a complete high grade set of MMM's that was a precursor to the CC batch. I did not get a chance to buy it, but I did see them and they were all incredible. They looked brand new.

Mid and low grades are fine by me these days. This one is pretty solid. The scan makes it look more rough than it really is

I almost landed it. Back in the early 90's an accountant for Western was given the opportunity to clean out some sheds and keep anything he found. He had multiples (unread) of MMM from the first color issue through WDC&S around 24 or so.

We met in Kansas City for an auction. Fishler was on the phone. So was Geppi. Bob Cook was there representing him. I knew I didn't have a shot at the entire lot with this big hitters, so I tried a little end run. I hand-picked the best copies of MMM and tried to buy them separately from all the stuff there. I offered double guide for just this run, but the buyer didn't want to change the rules.

Needless to say, Bob brought the books back to Baltimore...

The colors were unbelievable. Deep and rich. The books were flat and beautiful.

Oh, well... :sorry:

I tried to buy those promotional Duck books from Anderson on ebay tonight. Wow, did those prices go through the roof!!! :o

Link?

WDC&S mailers

Yikes! There was one for sale a few months ago (I think it was 1947, but could be wrong) that sold for about $120. I thought at the time that it was an item I could usefully have bid a little more on. But these prices are extraordinary. What recession?

Moondog, do you know if the run of file copies that were offered at Sotheby's or Christie's around 1994 was from this set? I remember it included all 12 issues from V5 with an average grade around NM-.

Also, do I understand correctly that this collection had multiple file copies of most of the early issues of WDC&S? That would be very interesting indeed.

AJD: It would be interesting to hear which Rosa stories are considered as classics? For Barks, most fans would probably agree that "Only a Poor Old Man", "Lost in the Andes", "Christmas on Bear Mountain" etc. are keys and that the original art would have been the most desirable if it had existed. Any thoughts on Rosa?

That's a good question (and one I've pondered for a day or two). The Life and Times series, of course, will be Rosa's most enduring legacy, and are great fun to boot - especially some of the 'follow-up' chapters. I'm especially fond of the Krakatoa story 'The Cowboy Captain of the Cutty Sark'.

Of his 'sequels', I think the best is the follow-up to Uncle Scrooge 6 (Tralla la) - 'Return to Xanadu'. I still chuckle about the 'Rama Lama Dhing Dhong/You are a very strange person' dialogue (quoted from memory, so don't shoot me). He also has to get an honourable mention for the Barks 'Pied Piper' story he finished off brilliantly.

Of the Rosa 'stand alones' my shortlist would be:

Son of the Sun (not technically great, but it single handedly renewed my interest in comics when I found it on a newstand)

Mythological Menagerie - one of the best duck ten-pagers by anyone

Guardians of the Lost Library - a long but very engaging explantion for something that didn't actually need explaining.

What about the rest of you?

As promised, here is a checklist of the twelve Scrooge 60th anniversary posters by Don Rosa. I hope it is useful, but I had fun compiling it anyway.

Uncle Scrooge 60th Anniversary poster series

Great - thanks for taking the time to compile the list - I'll add it to my Rosa list! (thumbs u

I know nothing of this seller, but he has some great lots for bid with good prices and no shipping charges. If anyone is looking for some cheap Barks & Rosa readers, you might want to check these out

Ebay auctions

thanks for posting these matt. I have 30 albums and 11 rosa comics on the way :D

That's a good question (and one I've pondered for a day or two). The Life and Times series, of course, will be Rosa's most enduring legacy, and are great fun to boot - especially some of the 'follow-up' chapters. I'm especially fond of the Krakatoa story 'The Cowboy Captain of the Cutty Sark'.

?

those life & times stories didn't do much for me. I think it gets brought up just because its a) a big project and b) were published in sequential issues of scrooge, unlike most of his work.