• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,446 posts in this topic

The Barks panel is nice, but Foster's version is out of this world.

Here's the next tier of Foster's Sunday page. I scanned those panels at the same time but they are a bit blurry. Still, the 3-D effect, i.e, the illusion of depth, on the panel on the right is WOW!

Another excellent, example! Have you seen the reprint of Gianni's work? I've not been of JC Murphy but I admit to enjoying Gianni's take even if it's a switch from Foster.

Note to Self: Might be time to re-read the Foster series.

Have you seen the reprint of Gianni's work? I've not been of JC Murphy but I admit to enjoying Gianni's take even if it's a switch from Foster.

Note to Self: Might be time to re-read the Foster series.

Gianni's work is sure a switch. I've looked at the feature here and there and can't quite take to it, which is weird since I liked Gianni's comic work way back when he was pencilling here and there in the pages of Dark Horse comics ... Somehow, he either altered his style or naturally evolved in a direction I like less. I've been tempted to pick up the Gianni collections but haven't committed the $$ because of that.

As for the Foster series, it seems that everyone will get a new chance to get into it as I read yesterday that:

"*Prince Valiant Vol. 1: 1937-1938 by Harold Foster.* Fanta is rereleasing this classic comic strip of knights in derring-do in a spiffy new oversized, hardcover version, with high-quality reproduction, superior to the previous releases. $29.99." slated for April.

I'll stick to my French reprints but it sure sounds attractive / interesting.

Also of interest, part of the release shows:

"Captain Easy, Soldier of Fortune: The Complete Sunday Newspaper Strips

Vol. 1. $35 hardcover." slated for August.

Gianni's work is sure a switch. I've looked at the feature here and there and can't quite take to it, which is weird since I liked Gianni's comic work way back when he was pencilling here and there in the pages of Dark Horse comics ... Somehow, he either altered his style or naturally evolved in a direction I like less. I've been tempted to pick up the Gianni collections but haven't committed the $$ because of that.

Have you read his 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea?

I particularly like Gianni's flair with panoramic scenes of crowds, cities, landscapes etc in Prince Valiant. It at least brings a sense of grandeur back to the strip that I think was lost when Foster retired.

I particularly like Gianni's flair with panoramic scenes of crowds, cities, landscapes etc in Prince Valiant. It at least brings a sense of grandeur back to the strip that I think was lost when Foster retired.

For those who haven't seen Gianni's work on PV, you can check out his work at this free online archive. The scans are too small to do much good but most of the run is catalogued -

Gianni's Prince Valiant Online

Very nice!

Those albums are great and worth every penny. I just need to complete my WDC&S set and I'll find inner peace.... :)

If anyone is interested, stay tuned. I'm working on an "article" for my website on Ducks and will post the link as well as some cover scans here tonight...

ooooo.....foreshadowing!

15 pds of duck albums received today! I'm going to be busy reading :)

lol Which ones did you get? I got 10 WDC&S by Barks albums.

I forget lol

As soon as I get home and tear open the package, I'll let you know :)

I blame all of you guys for this purchase -

Scrooge,

I hope you have this one to go with your FC 408 Golden Helmut.

It will be a lot cheaper if you still need it.

bb

3185773297_b0eeb03b5e_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I braved a winter storm today to travel to a rural auction to get this VF+ white page beauty & had to share (8 pages Barks art!):

aaddmm46.jpg

The store stamp is from my hometown of Newton, IA!

Thanks!

Another neat, though bizarre item I got was a 1931 magazine called College Humor that has a full page Mickey Mouse cartoon feature and a full-page extremely elaborate Dr. Seuss illustration sharing the pages with other cartoons of bawdy humor/semi-nudity.

Yes, to clarify, it was an estate brought to an auction facility in a rural town.The whole auction was open for online bids through an online auction service (not ebay), about 500 lots, all paper goods. Tons of magazines (1840's- present) in lots, a few mostly pitiful lots of comics, with a few surprises (I bought a stack of Disney comics with FC #275 DD, WDCS #44 & a few in the #100's Barks issues)... I actually spotted Feature Book #2 Popeye in Good & FC #172 in VG hidden in a stack of old coloring books but was outbid at $90... paper/cardboard toys, children's books, sports programs, advertising, etc. Tomorrow is day 2 with mostly more paper goods (no comics).