• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

I just noticed a neat example of an artist re-using an idea. Two takes on the same gag from Walt Kelly (and ducks on both, of course).

Here's one I've had for a year or two, the Xmas 1946 WDC&S:

wdcs76.jpg

and here's a purchase I just made on eBay, Pogo Possum #11 from 1952:

pogo11front.jpg

Excellent books :applause:

I just noticed a neat example of an artist re-using an idea. Two takes on the same gag from Walt Kelly (and ducks on both, of course).

wdcs76.jpg

pogo11front.jpg

The same idea with a twist was used on the cover of WDC&S #39.

153_4_039.jpg

2087389215_b35bc8e925.jpg

Another example of the same idea. I like that Pogo cover. Santa in the swamp always gets a chuckle from me. I think there was an Albert as Santa story. Did I read that posted by someone? I also have some 15 cent pogo issues but not the same one as listed above. You would think that it was due to Canadian issues like you see for Classics but I thought I read somewhere that it was an experimental price increase. They tried to make the jump in the 60s too when everyone else went to 12 cents. It wasn't a bad idea since they usually didn't fill up with cheap ads like Marvel and DC.

bb

Early Canadian price variants often had the initial "C.D.L." on them and occasionally had different advertisements.

Sometimes the "C.D.L" was on the cover and there are some on the inside.

From what I understand (and can't say for sure) is that there were experimental prices in the San Francisco are where 10 cent Dells were 15 cents. (Uncle Scrooge 17-22 are known to have this).

Early Canadian price variants often had the initial "C.D.L." on them and occasionally had different advertisements.

Sometimes the "C.D.L" was on the cover and there are some on the inside.

From what I understand (and can't say for sure) is that there were experimental prices in the San Francisco are where 10 cent Dells were 15 cents. (Uncle Scrooge 17-22 are known to have this).

Dell very briefly went to 15 cents in the early 1960s when everyone else went to 12 cents.

I had not seen a Dell 15 cent book from the early 1950s until seeing the Pogo that was posted.

Edited by tth2

GCD pictures Pogo #'s 9-13 (April 1952-September 1953) as having 15¢ cover prices and I took a look at three different issues of mine that were within easy reach and they were also priced at 15¢.

615_4_09.jpg

615_4_10.jpg

615_4_11.jpg

615_4_12.jpg

615_4_13.jpg

The above images are from GCD.

I believe 1957 was when Dell tested out 15¢ cover prices on all it's books for about a year, so this is quite early. Since Pogo was already a nationally syndicated strip by 1952 - with a lot of adult appeal - I wonder if there was an assumption that adults wouldn't flinch at the 15¢ price. Weren't there a couple of other "adult" oriented comics from the atom age with 15¢ covers?

GCD pictures Pogo #'s 9-13 (April 1952-September 1953) as having 15¢ cover prices and I took a look at three different issues of mine that were within easy reach and they were also priced at 15¢.

The above images are from GCD.

I don't know if 15c variants exist, but FWIW, my copies of 14-16 are all 10c. My 11-13 are 15c. (I don't have 9, 10 - yet). Maybe the price reduction was an atempt to pick sales up? After all, Pogo finished after #16.

Andrew

maybe I just don't get Pogo, but I never found it in the least bit funny. I love walt kelly and wanted to like it...... but just couldn't

Ay Ay. Me neither. I've not given it a true honest-to-goodness try but what I've read of it leaves me a little cold. I'll get the new collection (whenever it in fact comes out) a try but might drop it quickly ...

maybe I just don't get Pogo, but I never found it in the least bit funny. I love walt kelly and wanted to like it...... but just couldn't

Ay Ay. Me neither. I've not given it a true honest-to-goodness try but what I've read of it leaves me a little cold. I'll get the new collection (whenever it in fact comes out) a try but might drop it quickly ...

WHA-A-A-AT?

I find him the funniest cartoonist of his time. There are a few of the Simon and Schuster that I still haven't read through or have long since forgotten, so I'm slowly (re)reading them now. Try about the mid-50s for some of the funniest stuff, when he had more slapstick in the strip. Multi-layered puns, great caricatures, jokes with long set-ups, parodies of other comic strips... now and then a gag will literally make me laugh 'til my eyes are wet!

What's "the new collection"? I've got the S&S books, the Eclipse series (covering the early comic book work) and bits and pieces of other series. Have they unearthed new material or they're just rearranging it?

Jack

Ditto.