• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,445 posts in this topic

Here's one I like.

First the cover:

US274Scuba 001.jpg

...and a close-up on a very neat "bonus" on the logo.

US274Scuba%20001_3.jpg

Actually - I'm a little bit of a "variant" freak and collect odds and ends such as issues with and without UPC symbols (Newsstand vs. Direct).

As I mentioned earlier, I was writing about this on my website. Here's the link - I'm always interested in what other duck fans think!

My article on Uncle Scrooge oddities.

Nice article, Bergdoll. Good luck with finding answers to your questions.

Bergdoll, are you (or anyone else) interested in the Australian Uncle Scrooge variants? I'd be happy to write a short article and scan some covers. I posted a couple last week.

and a few more ducks from this hunt...

Nice! That Four Color is obviously a favorite around here...and coincidentally, that WDCS is at the very top of my want list right now. I saw that cover for the first time just a few days ago, and I really love it!

Bergdoll, are you (or anyone else) interested in the Australian Uncle Scrooge variants? I'd be happy to write a short article and scan some covers. I posted a couple last week.

Absolutely! I love editions from other countries - especially the Commonwealth countries (I also collect Commonwealth and BNA stamps).

Winter has hit everyone pretty hard this year, even Alaska. So think summer and spring.

Things are getting better all the time.

3188715757_07d5b88eca_o.jpg

3188716001_719dffcd77_o.jpg

I liked this last one cause the picture of the bear eating Donald must have made someone hungry.

They used the front of the comic for their shopping list. Nice pages in all of these.

bb

3189560606_eac53b0301_o.jpg

Sorry you didn't get it. There ought to be a ban against putting midgrade copies of the Barks issues of March of Comics in CGC holders - if any GA comics were meant to be browsed through these are the ones. Seeing the classic stories and gorgeous drawings on the cheap, flimsy pages is one of those absurd oddities that make the Golden Age so fun to collect.

Btw., I wonder whether the Barks drawings on the back covers of the MOCs ever have been reprinted? As far as I can tell, they were overlooked in the new European "Collected Works". Did anyone notice them in the libraries from Another Rainbow and Gladstone? Would be a fun bit of trivia if they were the only Barks Duck drawings never to be published again...

Hi,

My name is Richard Olson and I'm an old friend of Ponseti's. Our collecting interests seem so similar that I am looking forward to meeting you at the end of the month at Bill's place.

Take Care,

Richard

Sorry you didn't get it. There ought to be a ban against putting midgrade copies of the Barks issues of March of Comics in CGC holders - if any GA comics were meant to be browsed through these are the ones. Seeing the classic stories and gorgeous drawings on the cheap, flimsy pages is one of those absurd oddities that make the Golden Age so fun to collect.

Btw., I wonder whether the Barks drawings on the back covers of the MOCs ever have been reprinted? As far as I can tell, they were overlooked in the new European "Collected Works". Did anyone notice them in the libraries from Another Rainbow and Gladstone? Would be a fun bit of trivia if they were the only Barks Duck drawings never to be published again...

You geeky intuition is likely on target as the MOC back covers are not pictured in the Gladstone albums.

Hi,

My name is Richard Olson and I'm an old friend of Ponseti's. Our collecting interests seem so similar that I am looking forward to meeting you at the end of the month at Bill's place.

Take Care,

Richard

Richard is one of the nicest, most knowledgeable, people I know. His collecting experience is VAST. I can listen to his recollections of the early days of fandom all day long.

Bill

I just noticed a neat example of an artist re-using an idea. Two takes on the same gag from Walt Kelly (and ducks on both, of course).

Here's one I've had for a year or two, the Xmas 1946 WDC&S:

wdcs76.jpg

and here's a purchase I just made on eBay, Pogo Possum #11 from 1952:

pogo11front.jpg

You geeky intuition is likely on target as the MOC back covers are not pictured in the Gladstone albums.

Or in the hardcover Barks Library. Can anyone post a scan? I've never seen them.