• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undergrounds

16 posts in this topic

Fogel's Underground Comic Price Guide and also Fogel's Underground Comics price Guide Supplement are very good references, especially with determining what printing the books are.

I've recently purchased a collection with some nice undergrounds.

This is not normally an area I deal with.

Besides Ebay is there anywhere to go for "realistic" pricing?

Thank you in advance

frankly i think ebay is probably the only realistic place other than a few heritage or comiclink salaes for the really prime stuff

problem is, just looking back 2 months may not really give you sufficient data on some of the obscure stuff. i would shoot for something more than recent sales, maybe not a ton more, but just because something sold for $2 doesn't mean its a $2 book. i see a lot of variation in sales prices on these.

mind you, i have not sold a lot of these. i had to be patient with some re: best offers and what not. i have just been eyeballing sales prices as I have a short box of these and may do a big ebay sale one of these days.

the underground guide is a bit optimistic on many of these books with prices that do not take into account a world of interweb sellers with these

Thank you in advance

Heritage has been selling a lot of undergrounds lately. Many (most?) are from the late Howard Greber's collection.

Thank you in advance

Heritage has been selling a lot of undergrounds lately. Many (most?) are from the late Howard Greber's collection.

I hope eggs's books are at least bringing big returns for his family. Very nice guy in my transactions with him.

For years Howard has helped me with UG, he was very generous with his expertise. May he rest in peace. I go by the latest Fogel, and put more notes than usual with pricing of the book for the potential buyer.

UG in particular require more chitchat and effort than the usual Marvel/DC superhero. But the $1 per book is imo loony tunes, bulk unremarkable UG with moderate wear I sell at a minimum $5 a pop.

There's a few of us on here that would be able to help. You might want to check out the Underground Comix thread in the Magazine forum here. The market on whole has been cool for the last couple years, but there are some rarer items that will always command a premium no matter what. Some books only show up once every couple years, but with undergrounds you really need to study and research what you should be looking for. Since there are so few of us really into undergrounds, with some studying and you also can become very informed on Undergrounds.

When I buy collections that contain undergrounds I put them in boxes to deal with "later". A good customer wanted to get some undergrounds recently, so I set about pricing them. I checked the old Underground price guide, Fogel, and eBay. Comixjoint was very helpful in visually determining various printings. I also checked Mile High comics, and My Comic shop. It was much more painstaking work than pricing regular vintage comics, but I'm confident that my pricing is fair and competitive, and that I've identified the correct printings as much as possible.

I don't expect for these to be fast sellers, but I am a big underground fan, and I feel that undergrounds are an important part of comics history, and I'm happy to have a selection of them available to my customers.

photo undergroundcomix.jpg

Ebay is really a good staring point, but a few books show up very infrequently. That being said, if you're having trouble finding info on the books from the collection you purchased, that's probably not a bad sign.

I second what everyone has said RE: Fogel's Underground Price Guide, but if you need a second opinion on any particular books pm me. I'm happy to help where I can.

Thank you in advance

I hope eggs's books are at least bringing big returns for his family. Very nice guy in my transactions with him.

+1

UG in particular require more chitchat and effort than the usual Marvel/DC superhero. But the $1 per book is imo loony tunes, bulk unremarkable UG with moderate wear I sell at a minimum $5 a pop.

------------

right. if 1970s UG stuff, even later prints and reader copies, were regularly found in dollar boxes I'd have long boxes of this stuff rather than, maybe, a short box accumulated over almost 40 years. it generally isn't, although sure, at a show where i might buy 200-300 cheap comics i might snag a couple of UGs cheap, generally later printings or later 70s books that are less "UG"

80s and 90s UG is a different story. yeah, that can be cheap depending on what it is, but at that point it really isn't UG, more like "alternative press"