• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

regardless of early events, the character that is well established and well known in today's popular culture doesn't break anyone's neck. It is terrible writing IMHO.

I agree it could have been handled better but I don't actually have a problem with it.

Let's continue to deflect from the fact that after 36 reviews on Metacritic this dud is rated lower than MOS. Let's continue to trumpet pathetic fanboy tweeters, ignore the review embargo warning sign and blame the critics rather than the hacks who made the movie.  Blow up the DCEU and focus on making good movies; WW worked because it wasn't tied into this universe that Snyder set on the wrong track from day one.  A stand alone Aquaman movie could work, a WW stand alone movie set during the Cold War could work, a Reeves Batman stand alone movie that features the world's greatest detective could work.  The universe game is over; Marvel won because they took the time to build the thing and didn't rush headlong into the abyss. 

1 minute ago, Artboy99 said:

regardless of early events, the character that is well established and well known in today's popular culture doesn't break anyone's neck. It is terrible writing IMHO.

The whole point of that scene was Zod forcing him to pick a side - Human or Kryptonian - and he made his choice.  I was fine with it. Superman can get down and dirty just like anyone else. 

6 minutes ago, comic_memories said:

Don't like Tuna Fish?  you don't really wanna be Aunt May do you??

Look Wilson, you were fishing. I get it. But you were also off. Not that there is anything wrong with that. You're still my favorite soccer ball.

2110_11325_4617_000_regular_02.jpg

1 minute ago, paperheart said:

Let's continue to deflect from the fact that after 36 reviews on Metacritic this dud is rated lower than MOS. Let's continue to trumpet pathetic fanboy tweeters, ignore the review embargo warning sign and blame the critics rather than the hacks who made the movie.  Blow up the DCEU and focus on making good movies; WW worked because it wasn't tied into this universe that Snyder set on the wrong track from day one.  A stand alone Aquaman movie could work, a WW stand alone movie set during the Cold War could work, a Reeves Batman stand alone movie that features the world's greatest detective could work.  The universe game is over; Marvel won because they took the time to build the thing and didn't rush headlong into the abyss. 

Agree to a certain extent. The main reason MCU started out better is the Feige influence. WB chose Snyder and it backfired on them. I personally prefer the darker tone of the DC movies having grown with Batman TDK and The Watchmen, but can see how the general public prefers lighter movie fare.

That being said, no need to blow up the universe. JL will still be in the $800 - $900M box office range. Just like in finance, money talks and BS walks. As long as the film generates a profit it then DC can move forward under Johns' vision towards a lighter tone.

2 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Here comes the life of the party once the negatives start up. It's like that energy feeds him.

lol

Who was deflecting, other than one person said it feels like critics are more harsh on WB? By the way, have you seen Justice League yet?

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Here comes the life of the party once the negatives start up. It's like that energy feeds him.

lol

Who was deflecting, other than one person said it feels like critics are more harsh on WB? By the way, have you seen Justice League yet?

Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah- it must be tiresome to be the Atlas trying to hold up these failures.  I'm going to re-watch Batman Begins to get the stench of these reviews out of my head.

7 minutes ago, kimik said:

Agree to a certain extent. The main reason MCU started out better is the Feige influence. WB chose Snyder and it backfired on them. I personally prefer the darker tone of the DC movies having grown with Batman TDK and The Watchmen, but can see how the general public prefers lighter movie fare.

That being said, no need to blow up the universe. JL will still be in the $800 - $900M box office range. Just like in finance, money talks and BS walks. As long as the film generates a profit it then DC can move forward under Johns' vision towards a lighter tone.

If after seeing Justice League we can truly agree with what we are reading today from critics versus fans of these movies finding it 'fun' and 'entertaining' yet flawed, it would be a shame if WB missed an opportunity to keep the momentum going. So I can see the concern.

But right now we are seeing a large amount of people - LARGE - that came away from the movie saying it was better than the critics are stating. Not just the few that came out from early BvS screenings but then it turned out to be a heavily edited version of the original film that was crammed with content. It was kind of easy to see how the general audience would be confused and therefore turned off. Justice League is not getting that type feedback.

Edited by Bosco685

2 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Rah Rah Sis Boom Bah- it must be tiresome to be the Atlas trying to hold up these failures.  I'm going to re-watch Batman Begins to get the stench of these reviews out of my head.

Atlas propping it up? No, not really. I enjoy DC and Marvel movies. It's just sad when some folks relish in a DC negative response from critics.

The 'sky is falling' response to this seems too soon just based on critic responses so far. I'll definitely know for myself soon enough.

But the macro view as a comics fan?

Even the most optimistic opening domestic weekend projections for this film put it just short of $130 million.

Which means that our very first Justice League film -- with (at least) Superman, Aquaman, The Flash, Wonder Woman, and Batman on screen working together -- will gross less domestically in its first weekend than a Suicide Squad movie.

That is absurd.

That it's also projected to do less well out of the gate -- to the tune of ~$40 million -- than did BvS, also points to the gross mismanagement and missed opportunities so far.

7 minutes ago, paperheart said:

Can't argue there, Batman Begins remains the best Batman movie of all time.

It is not absurd at all. SS had great timing and the Harley Quinn factor going for it. Similar to WW, I know plenty of female viewers that saw SS multiple times (just like they did with WW) in the theatres. WB needs to play up the WW angle as much as possible in JL to attract the same group.

They should also replace Batfleck with a younger leading man that is more popular with the ladies now as well. lol

Just now, kimik said:

It is not absurd at all. SS had great timing and the Harley Quinn factor going for it. Similar to WW, I know plenty of female viewers that saw SS multiple times (just like they did with WW) in the theatres. WB needs to play up the WW angle as much as possible in JL to attract the same group.

They should also replace Batfleck with a younger leading man that is more popular with the ladies now as well. lol

There are persistent rumors that Afleck is not very happy playing Batman, and depending on how the wind is blowing that day, may or may not reprise the role.

2 minutes ago, drotto said:

There are persistent rumors that Afleck is not very happy playing Batman, and depending on how the wind is blowing that day, may or may not reprise the role.

I've been reading that. After his post-Argo production experiences and then his life events (most self-inflicted), I can see him walking away if this turns out to be the next 'Affleck dud.'