• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

That was before the Fantastic Four reboot and Clooney Batman.

Ahem: from The Guardian's Justice League Review:

Ben Affleck is unrelaxed and ill-at-ease in the role of Batman/Bruce, unconvincing in both the bat armour and the three-piece suit of the wealthy plutocrat...Really, Affleck spreads a pall of dullness over the film. He doesn’t have the implacable, steely ferocity and conviction that Christian Bale had; he seems to have a faint sheen of sweat, as if the Batcave thermostat is up too high, and his attempts at droll humour and older-generation wisdom make his Batman look stately and marginal. Maybe we should get George Clooney back for the role.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/nov/15/justice-league-ben-affleck-dc-comics

46 minutes ago, A-DONIS said:

Sorry maybe I'm not an elitists when it comes to comic book movies, but I had ZERO issues with B vs S

This is the thing though you don't have to be an elitist to like it or not.

I liked BvS as well when I first saw it.

Issues would be though Doomsday looked cheap CGI, killing off Superman was so clinche and  the whole movie wasn't compelling in that you can go back and watch again. I can go back and watch the Nolan and Burton Batmans multiple times. I can go back and watch the Reeve Supermans multiple times. I really can't go back to BvS. Can you name me one scene in that movie that was compelling enough to go check out again?

Maybe the Superman vs. Batman fight?

Like I said I liked it when it came out, but than I waited another 12 months to watch it again after the hype and excitment went down. I ordered it than as I was watching it I said to myself I don't want to go thru this again. :whatthe:     I honestly shut it off.  The reason why I think I changed my mind about the film was it was just not a fun movie to view a second time,the cgi was awful and the characters didn't seem likable. 

DC has to make these characters likable and cool looking like Marvel does with Thor and GotG.

Heck, even the villian Loki is more likable than the Ben Affleck Batman and Cavill Superman. 

Also with the cool looking part is the DC Cinematic Universe costumes don't look cool. In fact they look laughable compared to the Marvel costumes. 

Batman and Superman both with fake six packs? I can't count the number of times non-comic book fans made fun of those costumes. They are just a step above the Clooney nipple Batman costumes. lol

I won't even mention the Flash and Cyborg costumes. Warner has all this money and they can't make their heroes look cool?

So yeah folks there is a reason why the most of DC Universe movies doesn't get the love like Wonder Woman.

With that said I will be lining up to go see Justice League this week-end.

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

2 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Issues would be though Doomsday looked cheap CGI, killing off Superman was so clinche and  the whole movie wasn't compelling in that you can go back and watch again. I can go back and watch the Nolan and Burton Batmans multiple times. I can go back and watch the Reeve Supermans multiple times. I really can't go back to BvS. Can you name me one scene in that movie that was compelling enough to go check out again?

That's pretty much how I felt about it.  I wasn't bored and I wasn't sorry I saw it, but it wasn't memorable.  The Justice League trailer made me feel the same way; I wasn't sorry I sat through it, but it didn't make me want to see the film.

3 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Heck, even the villian Loki is more likable than the Ben Affleck Batman and Cavill Superman. 

I don't need to like Batman/Bruce Wayne. I just need to see him as the determined, driven individual that will do all he can to save his city and its people.

Affleck delivered!

10 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I don't need to like Batman/Bruce Wayne. I just need to see him as the determined, driven individual that will do all he can to save his city and its people.

Affleck delivered!

He did, but that's could be the problem in that when we see this we think of Ben Affleck and not Batman.

Think of what if Tom Cruise played Superman? We would be thinking  of Tom Cruise thru the film and not Superman.

I think DC really needs a new Batman that is not so famous next time.

3 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Sheesh, I'm seeing that Flixster bought RT in 2010, and Warner Brothers bought Flixster in 2011.  I remember when that Flixster logo went up on the site back then, but I didn't realize they were owned by WB.  Apparently WB sold Flixster to Comcast last year but retained a 30% ownership.  So they owned them in full for five years.  :whatthe:

RT doesn't do their own reviews, but the bias would come in the way they select critics to include reviews for--they could choose ones with a history of being friendly to their own brands.  This really sounds awful.

Makes me want to know who owns Metacritic now!  :ohnoez:

Also just found out that Fox owned RT from 2005 to 2010.  I can't find any real bias towards Fox or WB movies from them, although there's plenty of accusations of bias AGAINST WB in these forums and elsewhere around the web ever since BvS came out.  :insane:

Edited by fantastic_four

15 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

He did, but that's could be the problem in that when we see this we think of Ben Affleck and not Batman.

Think of what if Tom Cruise played Superman? We would be thinking  of Tom Cruise thru the film and not Superman.

I think DC really needs a new Batman that is not so famous next time.

Matt Reeves has someone in mind that shocked John Campea. It would be interesting to know that name.

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Also just found out that Fox owned RT from 2005 to 2010.  I can't find any real bias towards Fox or WB movies from them, although there's plenty of accusations of bias against WB in these forums and elsew here around the web ever since BvS came out.  :insane:

Ironically, most people here say RT hates The DCEU and unfairly rips their films while lavishing unearned praise on Marvel films. RT is therefor working against the best interest of its parent ( or partial parent) company, and helping the competition. To me it is proof that WB is not manipulating RT (god help them if they are and it would be worse), because the competition is winning the tomatoe game. Despite the fact certain recent actions look off.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Matt Reeves has someone in mind that shocked John Campea. It would be interesting to know that name.

I remember how much the announcement of Micheal Keaton ticked people off, and they were ready to write off the 1989 Batman.  In retrospect it was a brilliant choice.  For me Keaton so far has been the best at balancing the introspective almost broken nature of Bruce vs the cold, determined ferocity of Batman.

28 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think once Affleck, and Snyder go than the DC Universe will thrive.  They are good, but their style don't mesh well with the DC Universe.

Aquaman.Shazam and WW2 will all be critical hits and won't have the Snyder and Affleck influence.

30 minutes ago, drotto said:

Ironically, most people here say RT hates The DCEU and unfairly rips their films while lavishing unearned praise on Marvel films. RT is therefor working against the best interest of its parent ( or partial parent) company, and helping the competition. To me it is proof that WB is not manipulating RT (god help them if they are and it would be worse), because the competition is winning the tomatoe game. Despite the fact certain recent actions look off.

Plus Wonder Woman was universally loved.

7 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Exactly.

I've never understood the "DC" vs. "Marvel" or "Disney vs. Fox vs. Sony" b.s.

It's simpler than that -- good movies will be rewarded by the critics and the public at large. Bad movies won't.

Critics _loved_ Wonder Woman and they should have -- it was amazing.

Critics also loved the Nolan Batman trilogy (because...ditto).

And thank god for Deadpool and Logan, which taught the Disney fanboys that Fox can make great superhero films too.

Good movies are good.

It's not rocket surgery.

Because discussing how everyone loved WW and the Nolan Batman’s disproves their theory of bias. The public is free to disagree with the critics ( and they have many times, look at the Orville right now or Mother recently), just as the critics will continue to give their opinions. This disagreement is not a basis for a massive conspiracy theory against certain films or shows.  It is simply a different opinion, nothing more. Just watch what you want, and like what you like.

It was 43% yesterday.  Metacritic score is 48, and for comparison BvS was 44 and Suicide Squad was 40, so it's marginally better than both of those.

Seems like a lock that Snyder won't be doing the sequel.  If he does, then clearly Geoff Johns isn't really in charge or has taken leave of his senses.

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:

Ahem: from The Guardian's Justice League Review:

Ben Affleck is unrelaxed and ill-at-ease in the role of Batman/Bruce, unconvincing in both the bat armour and the three-piece suit of the wealthy plutocrat...Really, Affleck spreads a pall of dullness over the film. He doesn’t have the implacable, steely ferocity and conviction that Christian Bale had; he seems to have a faint sheen of sweat, as if the Batcave thermostat is up too high, and his attempts at droll humour and older-generation wisdom make his Batman look stately and marginal. Maybe we should get George Clooney back for the role.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/nov/15/justice-league-ben-affleck-dc-comics

God no! Not Bobble Headed Clooney!

I thought Affleck was good in BvS I have no problem with him in the role. 

4 minutes ago, bane said:

I thought Affleck was good in BvS I have no problem with him in the role. 

Same.  I liked him more than most other Batmans.

I never understood people's issue with him in the 2003 Daredevil film either.  All the problems in that film were around him, not in his performance.  Every complaint about him I heard was actually a complaint about the way the Matt Murdock character always has been in the comics.  I figured Matt as a character wouldn't be a hit on the big screen, but it didn't occur to me until after the release that Affleck would take the blame for how people don't find Matt Murdock charismatic.