• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: PART ONE (11/17/17)
5 5

2,041 posts in this topic

Scrolled through literally a couple thousand tweets for Justice League and I'd say 90% or more had good things to say after watching it.   Tons of "Not sure what the critics saw" sort of comments.  Many saying they liked it but it was rushed.   The negative comments really seem to be few and far between.

kind of a let down for me, of course Wonder Woman :luhv: and the Flash were great

Spoiler

I thought the superman CGI was awful, most if not all of his scenes with the group are CGI even when they are just standing there talking. I try not to spoil myself did I miss something, was he not going to be in this movie at all till the end and they had to go back in and CGI him in (shrug) 

5 hours ago, Azkaban said:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought the superman CGI was awful, most if not all of his scenes with the group are CGI even when they are just standing there talking. I try not to spoil myself did I miss something, was he not going to be in this movie at all till the end and they had to go back in and CGI him in (shrug) 

Spoiler

I've not seen it yet, but apparently they added a bunch of scenes with him during the re-shoots. However, they did so while Cavill was on break from filming Mission Impossible 6, and he was contractually obligated to keep his mustache for that role. So Justice League had to digitally edit out his mustache, leading his mouth to look weird.

9 hours ago, StingerMcK said:

Just saw it and enjoyed the hell out of it.

It does move at break neck speed. There is hardly any breathing room. But I feel like we spent a decent amount of time with the characters. I would be interested in an extended cut. The final battle did not go on and on like I was expecting.

All spoilers ahead:

Reveal hidden contents

Superman was amazing. Superman is redeemed. He beat Steppenwolfs so hard

When he showed back up in the costume, that got a big applause at my screening. People still love Superman. I dont care what anyone says.

Elfmans score was very generic and very forgettable. I barely heard Williams Supes theme, and did not hear Batman. Oh well.

Very cool seeing a Green Lantern in flashback.

I am glad they addressed what Wonder Woman has been up to since WWI, and Batman called her out on it.

Affleck is still a cool Batman. It's too bad he is looking to leave.

Flash is the comic relief and it worked. When he is trying to sneak up on Superman, and Supes turns to look at him, was great.

Aquaman was cool, his solo movie will be nice to flesh things out. Cyborg was an integral part, and I dont think he felt out of place.

The end credit scenes both got a big reaction. People loved the race, and there were a few "oh mess, Deathstroke!" in the audience.

But again, Superman was amazing.

Without reading the spoilers, what was the reaction like to the end credit scenes?

1 hour ago, Gatsby77 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I've not seen it yet, but apparently they added a bunch of scenes with him during the re-shoots. However, they did so while Cavill was on break from filming Mission Impossible 6, and he was contractually obligated to keep his mustache for that role. So Justice League had to digitally edit out his mustache, leading his mouth to look weird.

Spoiler

they did a very bad job of it, took me out of the movie every time he was on screen in one of those retakes very noticeable 

BOX OFFICE MOJO: 'Justice League' is Coming Together for $110+ Million Opening

This weekend Marvel's latest hit Thor: Ragnarok is looking to top $250 million after 17 days in release while Warner Bros. and DC Comics unveil their latest entry into the DC Extended Universe, Justice League looking to make a splash globally, though it's not the only new release the weekend has to offer. Lionsgate will debut the highly anticipated adaptation Wonder while Sony is debuting their faith-based animated title The Star. All-in-all we should be looking at a strong weekend in which the top twelve should combine for over $200 million for the first time since early July.

Looking at a #1 finish, Warner Bros. and DC Comics' Justice League will debut in 4,051 theaters with industry expectations right around $105-115 million. Given Wonder Woman debuted with $103.2 million earlier this year, Suicide Squad opened with $133.6 million last year and Batman v Superman opened with $166 million, those expectations might seem low given this is essentially DC's equivalent to Marvel's The Avengers. While that is true, the DC Extended Universe has taken something of a different path than the Marvel franchise, playing it big almost from the start by bringing Batman and Superman together and introducing Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman immediately after Man of Steel, followed that same year by the anti-hero feature Suicide Squad. As such, while these expectations appear a little low, they aren't entirely unreasonable.

Looking at IMDb page view performance, Justice League is pacing just ahead of Wonder Woman at the same point in the release cycle and well behind both Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad. And if you take the average opening for a film of this type from Warner Bros., debuting in this many theaters, you only get a ~$95 million opening. That said, based on IMDb page view performance Justice League is over-indexing, leading us to believe an opening no lower than $115 million is likely.

Not helping matters, reviews for Justice League are only marginally better than those for Batman v Supermanand Suicide Squad, as it currently holds a Metacritic score of 47. There has also been a bit of controversy surrounding the suppression of the film's RottenTomatoes score, but just as previous films didn't perform entirely well with critics, their opening weekends appear critic-proof and that should be the case again here. How it plays beyond opening weekend is another matter.

All told, we're anticipating an opening around $118 million or higher for Justice League. We'll get a good indication as to how the film is performing on Friday morning as it begins its weekend run tonight with Thursday previews beginning at 6 PM in ~3,700 theaters.

Internationally, Justice League kicked off its release yesterday in nine markets including a record $3.7 million opening day in Brazil, over $1.1 million from previews in South Korea and a $1.1 million opening day in France, 19% ahead of Wonder Woman's debut in the market. The film opens in an additional 38 markets today, including Germany, Italy, Russia, Korea and Australia with releases in the majority of markets this Friday.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

So they are predicting very similar numbers to Thor maybe slightly lower for total box office.  I have no doubt it will do well this weekend.  Will be interesting to see how the combination of Thanksgiving weekend and the release of Pixar's Coco affect weekend number two.

Edited by drotto

12 minutes ago, drotto said:

So they are predicting very similar numbers to Thor maybe slightly lower for total box office.  I have no doubt it will do well this weekend.  Will be interesting to see how the combination of Thanksgiving weekend and the release of Pixar's Coco affect weekend number two.

Tell me about it, I have to bring my daughter to see Coco on Wednesday, she can't wait.  

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

If the high end of this weekend's projections hold (say, $125 million) that puts it ~$40 million behind BvS. But then it should hold better over the Thanksgiving holiday and potentially the next two weeks as well.

Would put it on track for $300-$350 million domestic, roughly the same ballpark as BvS's $330 million & Suicide Squad's $325 million.

So is this a "failure" if it plays like Man of Steel (with its $116 million opening) and can't quite reach $300 million domestic?

5 minutes ago, paperheart said:

$13MM  preview: +15% vs WW, -10% vs Thor, -15% vs SMH, -25% vs GOTG2

Mendelson hitting the panic button https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/11/17/box-office-justice-league-earns-a-troubling-13m-thursday/#dc989712b9b2

Yeah - but his analysis is interesting, for context.

If it's as front-loaded as BvS or Suicide Squad, it's in for ~$87 million opening weekend.

If it plays like Wonder Woman, it could rock a $117 million opening weekend -- which mirrors the early predictions of $110-$120 million.

But yeah, starting 10% behind Thor, which clocked in at $122 million = not a great sign and would put its max at $110 million (the current consensus. Natch.)

24 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

If it's as front-loaded as BvS or Suicide Squad, it's in for ~$87 million opening weekend.

If it plays like Wonder Woman, it could rock a $117 million opening weekend -- which mirrors the early predictions of $110-$120 million.

But yeah, starting 10% behind Thor, which clocked in at $122 million = not a great sign and would put its max at $110 million (the current consensus. Natch.)

did open only slightly below Thor in China ($16.8 vs 17.1), so there's that

41 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Was looking at some old charts and was surprised that Man of Steel opened at 116 million, so hopefully JLA beats that.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3693&p=.htm

Man of Steel was one of the most-anticipated movie events of the year, and from a box office perspective it did not disappoint.

Through Sunday, Man of Steel earned a fantastic $128.6 million—$116.6 million during the traditional Friday-to-Sunday period, and another $12 million from Thursday night group sales.