• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

I know Riri is all the rage, but...

:gossip:

Some news (maybe) under the radar, Danielle Cage: Captain America 20XX - the daughter of Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, is now part of the main marvel universe (do they still call it 616?)

Previously of the Ultron Forever / New Avengers storyline, soon to be at the center of USAvengers. Her intro page is SWEET!

Nice tip, although what's your source for her entering the 616? That page is from Avengers: Ultron Forever #1, yeah?

She's the daughter of Jessica Jones. JJ has only been in the 616, correct?

:gossip: That's not her first appearance.

I think we'll be getting back into the baby vs costumed future alter-ego argument again. NM 87 vs UXM 201 and all the other cases of future time traveling characters coming back in time.

9 has her on the cover...that beats 7 just with that alone...not to mention first time in armor.

All I see on that cover is a suit of armor.

But I guess that's enough these days.

Yup "these days" that's all it takes.

c9903309-a5f9-4cbc-bfe2-935e90e4b459_zpsiw0kuhgq.jpg

I think we'll be getting back into the baby vs costumed future alter-ego argument again. NM 87 vs UXM 201 and all the other cases of future time traveling characters coming back in time.

As far as I know, Cable is the only prominent character that a baby retcon has happened to and people try and bring it up all the time like it applies to any baby scenario.

Jessica Cage was introduced as a baby before anything else.

Has Marvel ever had a female superhero with a successful book? I can't even think of a title that ever lasted 100 issues. (shrug)

Not sure I would throw down big money on any Marvel female superhero, but hey that's just my personal speculation tip...

From what era? Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk were two pretty big ones. You're right, they didn't last 100 issues, but neither did Nick Fury.

With today's model, a series is luck to get to 25 issues before a reboot. If you take both volumes of Kamaal Khan Ms. Marvel, it's at 27 issues. I would combine these because the story is actually continuous, for whatever reason they rebooted it.

Has Marvel ever had a female superhero with a successful book? I can't even think of a title that ever lasted 100 issues. (shrug)

Not sure I would throw down big money on any Marvel female superhero, but hey that's just my personal speculation tip...

From what era? Ms. Marvel and She-Hulk were two pretty big ones. You're right, they didn't last 100 issues, but neither did Nick Fury.

With today's model, a series is luck to get to 25 issues before a reboot. If you take both volumes of Kamaal Khan Ms. Marvel, it's at 27 issues. I would combine these because the story is actually continuous, for whatever reason they rebooted it.

Stupid Secret Wars. Same goes for Silk and the Not Dead Gwen with Spider Powers.

Honestly DC has had this problem also. Wonder Woman is promoted as one of the big three, but at the same time has problems maintaining a solo book in modern times. She never had runs approaching Batman, Superman, or even Green Lantern and Aquaman. The longest running solo modern DC female character is Catwoman.

But to give both Marvel, and DC credit they do keep trying.

Honestly DC has had this problem also. Wonder Woman is promoted as one of the big three, but at the same time has problems maintaining a solo book in modern times. She never had runs approaching Batman, Superman, or even Green Lantern and Aquaman. The longest running solo modern DC female character is Catwoman.

But to give both Marvel, and DC credit they do keep trying.

Catwoman Vol. 1 - 4 issue mini

Catwoman Vol. 2 - 96 issues

Catwoman Vol. 3 - 83 issues

Catwoman New 52 - 53 issues

Wonder Woman Vol. 1 - 344 issues

Wonder Woman Vol. 2 - 228 issues

Wonder Woman New 52 - 53 issues

I don't think you can just excuse not reaching 100 issues as a "in today's model". Sure, it explains Ms Marvel being 2 volumes of the same story and the current Captain Marvel basically being 3 volumes that were just inexplicably renumbered for sales bumps (and to allow the writer on v1 and v2 to have a break between them without filler issues) but that doesn't excuse that She Hulk has maxed out with Sensational hitting 60 issues when starting in 1989. And the mid-00's Ms Marvel series and the late-70's Spider-Woman series maxing out at 50 issues years (or decades) before reboot frenzy kicked in.

Sure, you can probably argue that 90% of all of Marvel's male-led series bomb out before 100 issues (how many series has Deadpool had even though he's maxed out with 2 different volumes getting into the 60-some issue range before being axed) and even Wolverine has only had 1 series hit 100 issues. So it's obviously not an exclusively female-led series problem, but it's 100% of female led series not making 100 issues. I mean, it took until some in the 2nd Carol Cap Marvel series before she hit 100 issues of a solo title period, either under the Ms Marvel or Captain Marvel name.

Even before reboot madness hit Marvel, it was pretty much given that it was virtually impossible for a female led title to really thrive from almost any publisher. Hopefully that's changing.

I think people have speculated that: growing female readership numbers = need for female superheroes. I don't think there is any evidence that girls/women want to read stories about girls/women, so while Marvel can turn every household name hero into a woman it wont correlate to higher sales or compelling stories.

We already know from the past 40 years at Marvel that men didn't care about female heroes.

I think people have speculated that: growing female readership numbers = need for female superheroes. I don't think there is any evidence that girls/women want to read stories about girls/women, so while Marvel can turn every household name hero into a woman it wont correlate to higher sales or compelling stories.

We already know from the past 40 years at Marvel that men didn't care about female heroes.

or Marvel creates/reimagines female superheroes to bring in female readership..........

What's going on with Agents of Shield #3? I know issues 3 and 4 are Standoff Issues, but 3 is picking up in price for some reason...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H1.Xagents+of+sheild+%233+2016+standoff.TRS2&_nkw=agents+of+sheild+%233+2016+standoff&_sacat=0

Anybody?

Sorry, I'll get right on this.