• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

I think people have speculated that: growing female readership numbers = need for female superheroes. I don't think there is any evidence that girls/women want to read stories about girls/women, so while Marvel can turn every household name hero into a woman it wont correlate to higher sales or compelling stories.

We already know from the past 40 years at Marvel that men didn't care about female heroes.

I would bet A LOT there's some evidence that girls/women want to read stories about girls/women, just like I'm sure that there's ample evidence that minorities want to read stories about minority super heroes.

Whether or not the evidence justifies this dramatic shift towards replacing established white male heroes with alternative options may be more dubious.

What's going on with Agents of Shield #3? I know issues 3 and 4 are Standoff Issues, but 3 is picking up in price for some reason...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H1.Xagents+of+sheild+%233+2016+standoff.TRS2&_nkw=agents+of+sheild+%233+2016+standoff&_sacat=0

Anybody?

Sorry, I'll get right on this.

WOW, ha, good 'ol Marvel!

I think people have speculated that: growing female readership numbers = need for female superheroes. I don't think there is any evidence that girls/women want to read stories about girls/women, so while Marvel can turn every household name hero into a woman it wont correlate to higher sales or compelling stories.

We already know from the past 40 years at Marvel that men didn't care about female heroes.

I would bet A LOT there's some evidence that girls/women want to read stories about girls/women, just like I'm sure that there's ample evidence that minorities want to read stories about minority super heroes.

Whether or not the evidence justifies this dramatic shift towards replacing established white male heroes with alternative options may be more dubious.

This is all accurate but I'd add in another caveat: there's not necessarily any evidence that even though women/minorities want to read stories about characters that have the same bits or skin tone as they do, that it actually translates into sales on a broad spectrum. And by that I mean; you can create more [insert descriptor here] heroes, but it doesn't mean that people that didn't previously buy your product will start, or that those that are currently buying your existing product with white/male heroes will also buy these additional [insert descriptor here] hero titles. They may buy it and drop one of the white/male titles. They may not buy it at all because it's a new character & sometimes people are awful about supporting new characters during their growing pains of getting established.

It may be a case where the best you can hope for is an uptick in readership of these new characters years down the line once have established the kind of history/recognition that the existing white/male heroes already have currently.

Cause as it stands, it seems like people that float demographic numbers are saying 'there's more girls going to conventions now, so they must be buying comics" ignoring the potentiality that many/most may be anime or manga or non-capes fans or they're just cosplayers who like appearances of characters but don't actually buy the source material.

Kinda like fancy-stats in hockey these days. People that live & die on possession numbers alone assuming that possession = goals, when there's a lot of other fancy stats that say "possession is important but X, Y, and Z other fancy stats show that they're mostly bad shots or possession in low % scoring areas", essentially rendering possession numbers to be useless. Same thing here. Without knowing what that uptick in female convention goers is actually spending their money on or have any legit proof that they're actually interested in buying your product if you change or add X, Y or Z things, you're just guessing & hoping for expanding your readership, while potentially off existing fans.

What's going on with Agents of Shield #3? I know issues 3 and 4 are Standoff Issues, but 3 is picking up in price for some reason...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H1.Xagents+of+sheild+%233+2016+standoff.TRS2&_nkw=agents+of+sheild+%233+2016+standoff&_sacat=0

Anybody?

probably Wolverine

Anybody?

probably Wolverine

After reading issue #4, I really hope that's not why people are buying it.

Anybody?

probably Wolverine

After reading issue #4, I really hope that's not why people are buying it.

Same here but I doubt it's Morlocks and I doubt it's New Avengers. The only other thing is what maybe happened to Rick Jones

You guys are reading the sales trend on Agents of Shield #3 outside the box too far. It was the lowest ordered chapter of the whole Stand-Off. People are now chasing it just like people chased Cyclops #12, Captain Marvel #14 and Nova #28 after Black vortex ended.

People fail to pre-order and then chase the copies that made it out.

Supply and Demand.

Edited by UltraMaximus

You guys are reading the sales trend on Agents of Shield #3 outside the box too far. It was the lowest ordered chapter of the whole Stand-Off. People are now chasing it just like people chased Cyclops #12, Captain Marvel #14 and Nova #28 after Black vortex ended.

People fail to pre-order and then chase the copies that made it out.

Supply and Demand.

Yes, could be that also. But Logan does show up.

Has Marvel ever had a female superhero with a successful book? I can't even think of a title that ever lasted 100 issues. (shrug)

Not sure I would throw down big money on any Marvel female superhero, but hey that's just my personal speculation tip...

Honestly DC has had this problem also. Wonder Woman is promoted as one of the big three, but at the same time has problems maintaining a solo book in modern times. She never had runs approaching Batman, Superman, or even Green Lantern and Aquaman. The longest running solo modern DC female character is Catwoman.

But to give both Marvel, and DC credit they do keep trying.

Catwoman Vol. 1 - 4 issue mini

Catwoman Vol. 2 - 96 issues

Catwoman Vol. 3 - 83 issues

Catwoman New 52 - 53 issues

Wonder Woman Vol. 1 - 344 issues

Wonder Woman Vol. 2 - 228 issues

Wonder Woman New 52 - 53 issues

Where did you get 344? The last issue was 329 and there were no special issues to increase the count.

WW v.3 - 59 issues - not really sure why they decided to reboot/renumber after v.2, but the only reason it didn't run longer is because everything (including Action, Detective, Batman and Superman :mad: ) was cancelled to make way for the New 52.

Superman v.2 - 228 issues

Green Lantern v.1 - 38 issues

Green Lantern v.2 - 224 issues - including the reboot with continued numbering 4 years after the book was cancelled (after the 89th issue) and the title change to Green Lantern Corps at the end of the run

Green Lantern v.3 - 183 issues

Green Lantern v.4 - 67 issues

Aquaman? AQUAMAN? WTF?

v.1 - 63 issues - including the 7 that were added 6 years after the original cancellation

v.2 - 13 issues

v.3 - 77 issues

v.4 - 39 issues

plus a few minis

Has Marvel ever had a female superhero with a successful book? I can't even think of a title that ever lasted 100 issues. (shrug)

Not sure I would throw down big money on any Marvel female superhero, but hey that's just my personal speculation tip...

Honestly DC has had this problem also. Wonder Woman is promoted as one of the big three, but at the same time has problems maintaining a solo book in modern times. She never had runs approaching Batman, Superman, or even Green Lantern and Aquaman. The longest running solo modern DC female character is Catwoman.

But to give both Marvel, and DC credit they do keep trying.

Catwoman Vol. 1 - 4 issue mini

Catwoman Vol. 2 - 96 issues

Catwoman Vol. 3 - 83 issues

Catwoman New 52 - 53 issues

Wonder Woman Vol. 1 - 344 issues

Wonder Woman Vol. 2 - 228 issues

Wonder Woman New 52 - 53 issues

Where did you get 344? The last issue was 329 and there were no special issues to increase the count.

WW v.3 - 59 issues - not really sure why they decided to reboot/renumber after v.2, but the only reason it didn't run longer is because everything (including Action, Detective, Batman and Superman :mad: ) was cancelled to make way for the New 52.

Superman v.2 - 228 issues

Green Lantern v.1 - 38 issues

Green Lantern v.2 - 224 issues - including the reboot with continued numbering 4 years after the book was cancelled (after the 89th issue) and the title change to Green Lantern Corps at the end of the run

Green Lantern v.3 - 183 issues

Green Lantern v.4 - 67 issues

Aquaman? AQUAMAN? WTF?

v.1 - 63 issues - including the 7 that were added 6 years after the original cancellation

v.2 - 13 issues

v.3 - 77 issues

v.4 - 39 issues

plus a few minis

If you include issues 600-614 (there are considered part of V1) from 2010-2011 and the original run you get 344

329+315

Volume 1: 329

Volume 2: 226

Volume 3 : 44 (Post infinite crisis / one year later) in 2006

Got us to 599 so the revamp began with issue # 600

Edited by JLS Comics

I want to thank the boardies who share info. I have been doing gangbusters because I bought about a dozen Iron Man 7s. I also got a few 6s and 9s but only 5 or so each. I am in the process of flipping them and they are going gangbusters. Best sale was yesterday at $55 BIN for 6, 7, and 9. I have 2 or 3 more 7/9 combos to put up and one or two more 7s after that. I passed on even more at Midtown (bought 3 sets of 6, 7, 9 when I could have had 5 or even 10 if sly but hedged my bets too much).

So thanks guys. I bought them up last week early and can hopefully pass along something as good in the future.

I usually go into NYC on a regular basis so I have hit Midtown personally 3 times or so in the last month. The morning of 7/4 I went to all three shops but only got into two of them as parking was tough - books were 20% off so suck on that! II7 for $2.80 plus tax! Rebirth titles for $2.40 plus tax!

I also got 7 II7s at a local LCS, which I why I did not get more at Midtown. I asked the owner if he had a problem with me buying them all (I mentioned they were 4 months old) and he told me to go for it. He had a dozen or so 9s as well so I may go back on the way home from work tomorrow. It will only add 7-10 minutes to the trip, including time spent in the store. I expect them to be gone though, but it is worth looking. He flips his variants on ebay but store stock seems fair game.

I do recognize my good fortune in having a shop near work and 5 other LCS within 20 minute drive (each way) from my house, 3 of which are only a small detour on my way home from work.