• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

How do those links support the position that there are covers creating sustainable value or demand?  A cool cover just doesn't drive value these days.  Most of the books in the threads you referenced are limited edition prints... manufactured collectibles.  They're the Bradford Exchange of comic books.

4 minutes ago, Lego said:

How do those links support the position that there are covers creating sustainable value or demand?  A cool cover just doesn't drive value these days.  Most of the books in the threads you referenced are limited edition prints... manufactured collectibles.  They're the Bradford Exchange of comic books.

It most certainly does.

1 minute ago, Lego said:

I mean, I'd ask you to provide any kind of supporting evidence... but why would you start now?  (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=elektra+2+granov&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

There ya go. Whether you like it or not, there is value in buying a book for $10 or $15, then selling it a few days later for $50, $60, $80. Is it the "long term value" that you want? Maybe, maybe not, but it doesn't mean its not value.

Just now, kevhtx said:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_nkw=elektra+2+granov&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

There ya go. Whether you like it or not, there is value in buying a book for $10 or $15, then selling it a few days later for $50, $60, $80. Is it the "long term value" that you want? Maybe, maybe not, but it doesn't mean its not value.

No, it's not "long-term value"... So, thanks for helping my point, I guess?

Just now, Lego said:

I mean, I'd ask you to provide any kind of supporting evidence... but why would you start now?  (shrug)

How do I provide supporting evidence of how the market has changed in the past 5 years? Should I go through and link all of the sold listings to books that sell strictly because of the cover?

How about this one?

Just now, Lego said:

No, it's not "long-term value"... So, thanks for helping my point, I guess?

YOU are the one who first said "long term value", so why are we discussing this? The original guy who you were questioning just said under-valued and you jumped on him. 

Right, I said that these books aren't showing long-term value, then you showed a book that in your words sold "a few days later" for multiples of cover.  What's the problem here?  You provided almost nothing of substance.  What more do you want?

1 minute ago, Lego said:

Right, I said that these books aren't showing long-term value, then you showed a book that in your words sold "a few days later" for multiples of cover.  What's the problem here?  You provided almost nothing of substance.  What more do you want?

Your quote "A cool cover just doesn't drive value these days."

20 minutes ago, Lego said:

3 minutes ago, kevhtx said:

Your quote "A cool cover just doesn't drive value these days."

Where's the cool cover books that are worth money but aren't rare by design?  Maybe that Jock Tec 880 cover?    

Edited by bababooey

2 minutes ago, kevhtx said:
   21 minutes ago, Lego said:

How do those links support the position that there are covers creating sustainable value or demand?  A cool cover just doesn't drive value these days.  Most of the books in the threads you referenced are limited edition prints... manufactured collectibles.  They're the Bradford Exchange of comic bo

Highlighted the other important part you neglected.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

Where's the cool cover books that are worth money but aren't rare by design?  Maybe that Jock Tec cover?    

I agree that there are not a ton that aren't ratio or low print runs, but the cover/cover artist is what is driving them. There are a lot of ratio/limited print variants that aren't worth S.

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Where's the cool cover books that are worth money but aren't rare by design?  Maybe that Jock Tec 880 cover?    

That's what I'm trying to find out.  It's apparently a very sensitive subject for some reason.

Just now, Lego said:

Highlighted the other important part you neglected.

I showed you the demand. That Elektra #2 book sold extremely well and was sold out at most LCS stores. It was a hard book to find.