• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Shut it!  I love seeing all the Spawn 1s in the $1/$5 boxes at shows.  They don't sell instantly for $15 but I sell a couple each month.  Got to love a classic cover of a well know character and a true 1st appearance to boot.  Love me some Spawn 1.

Next show Im going to Im picking all the Spawns 1 for under a fiver I can find. I sold 3 this month for 25.00 and prolly over 10 since the year begun for 15-20. This book is never going down again (thumbsu

8 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I've not seen any movement yet but I'd expect the Longshot series to see a jump in the future.  Art Adams seems to be getting hotter with the variant cover crowd so I don't see a reason his premier series wouldn't become hotter along the way.

I agree (well Im cant really disagree, since Im a huge fan of the man since the 80s) AAdmas and Sienkewicz covers are on the rise.

Dont wanna get into the whole Art Adams discussion again as I feel that some people take offense from it so Im just gonna say this: Art Adams was KING in the 80s. His problem is that because his art was so complex that he couldnt make deadlines. His art suffered from it when he tried to compromise in making deadlines and competing with an OCEAN of imitators (which ended up doing better than him). Had he stopped doing books and just concentrate on covers, just like Hughes did, he wouldve been a household name. Just my opinion

And I'd love to see Adams become the fan favorite he was back in the 80s, but at this point I really care less for his art

1 hour ago, cbaileypacker said:

Jezz, you post some of the books you have been hunting and then...

Thanks Aweandlorder

I believe I have said this before, but...

I collect and enjoy comics in three ways overall:

1) I read books.  Alot.

2) Second and foremost, I collect original art.  Rule of 2 with the wife: only one, we keep it (art, yellow label ss/sketch).  More than one copy? sell it and search for the other one (comics). Thanks to this rule, I own some OA that i have no business owning at that price...

3) In between, I play the market and make small investments on 1st appearances and under appreciated variants IMO.  This stems from my old high school days collecting sports cards (ugh, I know, it was a sickness)  some of that small time investments in undervalued rookies and up and coming stars carried over to my comic collecting.  Difference is Spider-man isn't real, and wont go shoot up a club and destroy any value or career.  Slabs are just big baseball cards anyway right? (sorry, had to go there...)

I look for characters that are up and coming that I enjoy, and believe others will as well, and that are also being pushed by the publisher.  I literally look forward to combing through previews to see what characters are being pushed by Marvel and DC on that publisher level.  They cant force you to like anything, but if they are trying, then i'm buying.  (looking at you Moon Girl, not my favorite, but Marvel loves her, so I rode the train, and those 23 copies I bought of issue 1 variant last year for under $10 bucks look really nice now (thumbsu). 

For variants, I look for underappreciated awesome covers or artists I like, that may have been looked over on a wednesday, or even years ago, due to timing, or another "$100 out the gate on wednesday variant".  love those Wednesdays, as everyone is chasing some Adi Granov Elektra 1 variant, and I'm picking multiple copies on the cheap of Checchetto and Torque variants ( yes, my two favorite under appreciated cover artists right now).  Heck, Arthur Adams is hot again and has moved into what seems to be exclusive cover work, lots of under the radar variants/covers that are just as good as ones of Wanda, Emma, and Majik.  Take a look, that Doom FF variant from about six years ago is great. Only one VF on the bay if your interested....

I also ALWAYS put my $$$ where my mouth is.  When i post here, I do not hide the fact that these are books i have ALREADY been buying stacks of for myself.  Now that I got mine, I'm looking if anyone else feels the same.  I already have spent the $$ and have 5-10 high grade copies of all the variants I already posted this round.  All for under $10 give or take.  Its what this thread is for, right?  Its not that much $$ either, as all it takes is one of the twenty characters i like to blow up, pays for all the other 19 straight up and more! When Fantomex hit before Uncanny dropped like 6 years ago i was well over 100 copies before it even hit $10.  Made enough on that move to fund the next few years of speculation.

You can go back through and see my 1st app picks in this thread previously.  when I post in this thread in the past about new character like Blue Marvel, Fantomex, America Chavez, I am already on the train and its cool when people also agree and they become hot as predicted.  If not, whatever, I bought them cuz i like them.  I win far more than lose.  If you guys wanna help a brother out, my short box of Marvel Boy and Quinten Quire are ready when you are...

Cheers, and happy hunting.

And thats why youre good at what you do. Seriously, investors with such a unique insight in to a market usually charge for their tips

Side note, I always find it fascinating that some members on this board will take notes from other board members and do well with their investments and NEVER THANK THAT BOARDIE. But the second they will find something they disagree with a member, sometimes even the same one they took dibs from, they will start a world war just to prove they are right.

Ive been following CBailey for awhile (pls dont block me, please!) and was always impressed with what he chose as spec books or just fun reads. And now YOU can too lol

1 hour ago, Aweandlorder said:

Next show Im going to Im picking all the Spawns 1 for under a fiver I can find. I sold 3 this month for 25.00 and prolly over 10 since the year begun for 15-20. This book is never going down again (thumbsu

I remember laughing at one of my local shops because they had a Spawn 1 for $15. It sold the next week. I agree I just cant buy them unless they are dirt cheap I know how many are in circulation.

Picked up a NM Spawn #1 direct edition today for $5... the most I've spent on a copy of this book that wasn't newsstand edition (paid $10 for one of those last year). I normally scoff at these being priced over $5, but they do seem to be solid movers in any shop I've been to in recent months.

20 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Had this very plan at the last show I went to, couldn't find a single copy for under $10, and most were asking $15-$20. I'm thinking the ship has sailed, or is in the process of sailing, on cheapo Spawn 1's.

20 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I agree (well Im cant really disagree, since Im a huge fan of the man since the 80s) AAdmas and Sienkewicz covers are on the rise.

Dont wanna get into the whole Art Adams discussion again as I feel that some people take offense from it so Im just gonna say this: Art Adams was KING in the 80s. His problem is that because his art was so complex that he couldnt make deadlines. His art suffered from it when he tried to compromise in making deadlines and competing with an OCEAN of imitators (which ended up doing better than him). Had he stopped doing books and just concentrate on covers, just like Hughes did, he wouldve been a household name. Just my opinion

And I'd love to see Adams become the fan favorite he was back in the 80s, but at this point I really care less for his art

I thought Adams was one of the top artists in the 80's as well. Love his stuff.

I really cant believe Spawn #1 is actually now a $10 book. Had you told me this 2 years ago I wouldve probably gotten wrist slapped for making jokes about it.

But then again, Star Wars #1 is a solid $100 raw book so I guess everything is possible (yes I just compared SW to Spawn so sue me) 

Edited by Aweandlorder

59 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

I really cant believe Spawn #1 is actually now a $10 book. Had you told me this 2 years ago I wouldve probably gotten wrist slapped for making jokes about it.

But then again, Star Wars #1 is a solid $100 raw book so I guess everything is possible (yes I just compared SW to Spawn so sue me) 

Hey, I'm as surprised as you are, but my (admittedly limited) research seems to bear it out. I'm sure there are still copies rattling around in $1 bins out there someplace, but for the most part it seems like the book is on the uptick, and I don't see it dropping again soon.

Reminds me of my days working at a LCS (about 20 years ago) when we'd get so many copies offered to us, we'd buy them for about 10 cents a pop, but still blow them out the door at $10 each. They always sold, even several years after the peak of Spawn's popularity. Regardless of how many copies were printed and horded, the character remains popular and in demand, it would seem.

40 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Why don't you guys envision it dropping again? There is certainly a copy or five out there for everyone that wants one.

Because its been a consistent $10-20 book for almost a year now 

Because its the longest running Image title backed with tons of action figures, toys and a movie

Because it has Todd Mcfarlane name's attached to it. Er.. I meant, Todd Mcfarlane has Spawn's name attached to it

Because hundreds of Spawn books move daily on the secondary market on eBay alone 

Probably many other reasons I cant think of now

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

Because its the longest running Image title backed with tons of action figures, toys and a movie

Because it has Todd Mcfarlane name's attached to it. Er.. I meant, Todd Mcfarlane has Spawn's name attached to it

Because hundreds of Spawn books move daily on the secondary market on eBay alone 

I have to think this has nothing to do with anything but the movie right?  Huge chance it falls right off a cliff again following the movie, but lots of time before then.

Just now, SquareChaos said:

I have to think this has nothing to do with anything but the movie right?  Huge chance it falls right off a cliff again following the movie, but lots of time before then.

Maybe. I doubt it. You don't.

Thats why this is in the "spec" thread

History will tell

1 minute ago, Aweandlorder said:

Maybe. I doubt it. You don't.

Thats why this is in the "spec" thread

History will tell

Sure, it is all peering into the future in here, some of it is right, most of it is wrong. The 'don't see it going down again' almost (not always) strikes me as an odd statement is all.

I do shows all the time and I can't tell you how many times I hear "Its just a cool cover" or "I'm just going to hang it on my wall" when I question whether they're building the run or enjoy the read. There are countless books that mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things yet have an inflated value. Spawn 1, Gold Spidey 1, Catowman 51, Tec 880, any pretty girls (especially with boob windows) whether Hughes, Campbell, or anyone else. ASM 431, LOTDK 50, Alf 48, cool Venom/Carnage covers, etc. It seems that all most people want (especially the common fan) is first appearances and cool covers. 

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

I just feel like, in my gut, Spawn 1 is destined to be a perennial $10 book, no matter how many of them there are floating around out there. It may bump up to $15-$20 due to movie hype, but when it settles, I think it'll settle at $10, and will stick there. I've been wrong before, and I only have a couple of copies so I don't have a real dog in the race. Just my gut.

7 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

It was a $10 wall book in the '90s. It appears as if it has finally recovered. Then again, the last time it was a $10 book, you could buy 5 new comics for the same price. lol

1 hour ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I do shows all the time and I can't tell you how many times I hear "Its just a cool cover" or "I'm just going to hang it on my wall" when I question whether they're building the run or enjoy the read. There are countless books that mean absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things yet have an inflated value. Spawn 1, Gold Spidey 1, Catowman 51, Tec 880, any pretty girls (especially with boob windows) whether Hughes, Campbell, or anyone else. ASM 431, LOTDK 50, Alf 48, cool Venom/Carnage covers, etc. It seems that all most people want (especially the common fan) is first appearances and cool covers. 

It does seem that way. My collection is still runs. Old habits are hard to break. In fact, I'm looking to buy the Peter David run of the Hulk so I can take another look and see how it has held up. I'm betting it will still be fun. 

5 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I buy EVERY single Spawn book I see ( VF or better ) out of $1 bins. I love the covers and unlike a lot of people, loved the story. How cool was it to see a guy with massive power who loses a some of it every time he uses it ? Fun book with some cool and some really weird bad guys. Even the hero is a bad guy. lol