• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Too late on this one. Already above $100!

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:39 AM, g-man said:

The Pro, the graphic novel created by Garth Ennis, Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner about a single-mother sex worker who wakes up one morning with superpowers and catches to attention of the Justice League-esque League of Honor, has been picked up by Paramount Pictures for a potential movie, being produced by Erwin Stoff and written by Zoe McCarthy.

WOW!

I collect international books and while I haven't bought one yet, I think last month's Mexican issue of Superman had a variant that recycled that Adam Hughes "Supergirl riding a meteor, pin-up style" from SUPERGIRL & THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES cover that goes for hundreds of dollars in the U.S.

I doubt anyone buys that issue for anything that happens inside. They buy it for the Supergirl pinup. And the Mexican issue, even imported, is a lot cheaper than the SG&TLSH issue in equal condition.

DC Mexico also has a bunch of exclusive Lego Batman variants, DC characters as cartoon skeletons for Day of the Dead, and a line of store exclusives reprinting Golden/Silver Age milestones (interior Spanish but original English covers, unlike past Mexican/German/Italian reprints which translated covers). The same parent company manages Marvel Mexico (not uncommon in a market where translations are niche) and they also tend to release hard to find variant art that's several years old on their moderns.

8 hours ago, g-man said:

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:39 AM, g-man said:

The Pro, the graphic novel created by Garth Ennis, Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner about a single-mother sex worker who wakes up one morning with superpowers and catches to attention of the Justice League-esque League of Honor, has been picked up by Paramount Pictures for a potential movie, being produced by Erwin Stoff and written by Zoe McCarthy.

WOW!

I love that book so much.
But can't see how they can make a full movie without adding a bunch of garbage.

Only way to do it right would be to have Ennis provide new filler.  Only that sick SOB can do it appropriately.

Patrick

I bought some bulk on American Gods and am going heavy on the first few issues. I think it has a nice chance of being a hit; the trailer for the tv show looks good and it is on my wife's radar so the book may see some interest as well. perhaps. maybe. With The Walking Dead supposedly going from 17 million to 10 million viewers this season maybe those people will be looking for something to watch. So since I have no faith in much else to spec on I figured this would be a decent bet.

35 minutes ago, Bird said:

I bought some bulk on American Gods and am going heavy on the first few issues. I think it has a nice chance of being a hit; the trailer for the tv show looks good and it is on my wife's radar so the book may see some interest as well. perhaps. maybe. With The Walking Dead supposedly going from 17 million to 10 million viewers this season maybe those people will be looking for something to watch. So since I have no faith in much else to spec on I figured this would be a decent bet.

You don't think it would have increased by now if it was going to? That's the trend I mean. Increase before the show starts.

30 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

You don't think it would have increased by now if it was going to? That's the trend I mean. Increase before the show starts.

Not if the show hit hard (positively). I think it will also. Im just not too sure these will appreciate much because there have been many variants. But that is a cool cover for sure.. I bought a couple and discussed this awhile ago (thumbsu

Just now, Aweandlorder said:

Not if the show hit hard (positively). I think it will also. Im just not too sure these will appreciate much because there have been many variants. But that is a cool cover for sure.. I bought a couple and discussed this awhile ago (thumbsu

Meh, guess we will see.

OK here are a couple of longshots (no, not aadams ones) but well worth mentioning. Spider-gwen is now crossing over to not one, but TWO other publishers... Well.. sorta

Exhibit A

detail.jpg

Morales & SG travel to a diff earth on a SHIELD assignment and it looks as if they made it to Metropolis.. 

credit-marvel-comics.jpg

Source:

https://moviepilot.com/p/spider-man-spider-gwen-dc-superman-comic-book/4228086

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2017/03/17/spider-man-spider-gwen-crossover-dc-universe

Well.. Its probably just a cameo, but worth mentioning. Also, nice Romita swipe cover.

Exhibit B

unnamed-5-2.jpg

The Image boys are taking the p**s on SG and Marvel's endless reboot marketing ploys with this tongue in cheek "Gwinvincible" April Fools variant cover...

Oh I like it aloooooooot.. Prolly will buy 3 copies

Edited by Aweandlorder

21 hours ago, followtheleader said:

I love that book so much.
But can't see how they can make a full movie without adding a bunch of garbage.

Only way to do it right would be to have Ennis provide new filler.  Only that sick SOB can do it appropriately.

Patrick

When the news broke, I checked eBay to see if it had jumped up yet... still sitting at normal prices. I'm so glad this book is hot now, I picked up a 1st print for $7 a few months ago, and found a couple of whatever printing has her picking her wedgie out in a dollar box. 

8 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

Exhibit B

unnamed-5-2.jpg

The Image boys are taking the p**s on SG and Marvel's endless reboot marketing ploys with this tongue in cheek "Gwinvincible" April Fools variant cover...

Oh I like it aloooooooot.. Prolly will buy 3 copies

The April Fools parody covers Plastic #1 and Black Science #29 are fun, too. The Plastic #1 variant might have some legs. :D

STL047530.jpg

STL047544-600x910.jpg

New Warriors and Squirrel Girl to TV ? Yep...

New Warriors was one of the more fun series of the '90s and Squirrel Girl has been garnering lots of attention by taking on Marvel's heavyweights and being a mostly all ages comic. No clue if anything will take off but its certainly worth keeping an eye on their 1st appearances. 

5 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Man there is some real stretches on here lately.

Squirrel Girl #1 Adams varian

This one is bringing $40 to $50 each. No stretch with this character other than I thought it would take longer to heat up. There are a few others, like the 2nd print set and other variants starting to ring the register. 

On Thu Apr 06 2017 at 0:04 AM, the authority said:

Squirrel Girl #1 Adams varian

This one is bringing $40 to $50 each. No stretch with this character other than I thought it would take longer to heat up. There are a few others, like the 2nd print set and other variants starting to ring the register. 

Nice i feel like i grabbed a variant when this came out because of you i need to look.

I'm seeing speculation about Guardians having a massive number of cameos. The production title for Vol. 2 was Guardians 3000.

Stallone, Sharon Stone, and Michael Rosenbaum in unknown roles. Stallone is rumored to be Starhawk, who gets called in by Yondu as an old friend. Speculation about Stone as Aleta or Nikki Gold.

Here's the thing: what if it isn't just one or two cameos but a bunch of name actors playing a bunch of cameo Guardians from other versions of the team?

This ranges from Silver to Modern potentially. But there are quite a few Guardians whose first appearance is under $10 NM.

22 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

That's the problem, too many to speculate on without a little more info.

Yeah... but the flip side is that you could probably do well with a diversified assortment. 10 $5 books. Odds would then be pretty good one of them hits.

Honestly, while I chase a few NM to M like I suspect a lot of people do, there's probably an investment model in picking up a LOT of carefully selected VGs or Gs on the chances that one will recoup the expense of the whole lot.

28 minutes ago, PatrickG said:

Yeah... but the flip side is that you could probably do well with a diversified assortment. 10 $5 books. Odds would then be pretty good one of them hits.

Honestly, while I chase a few NM to M like I suspect a lot of people do, there's probably an investment model in picking up a LOT of carefully selected VGs or Gs on the chances that one will recoup the expense of the whole lot.

Movie and TV speculating isn't like it was 5 years ago.