• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GGA - Deadlier Than The Male
4 4

734 posts in this topic

Thank you for posting. I was lost looking for one-shots published by Standard. While it was fun, this is great.

According to the Toonopedia, the feature was drawn by a who's who of the GA: Elmer Wexler then Paul Norris then David Moneypenny and finally Bernard Baily. Sorry to say I can't tell you who drew the ones above :shrug:

You might be refering to these. Not a one shot but only a two issue series I believe. Here are both issues.

comdatewithdanger5_zpsd2zh4kz6.jpg

comdatewithdanger6_zps9c8rhuir.jpg

Thank you for posting. I was lost looking for one-shots published by Standard. While it was fun, this is great.

According to the Toonopedia, the feature was drawn by a who's who of the GA: Elmer Wexler then Paul Norris then David Moneypenny and finally Bernard Baily. Sorry to say I can't tell you who drew the ones above :shrug:

You might be refering to these. Not a one shot but only a two issue series I believe. Here are both issues.

Let me clarify. Trying to ID those strip pages, I went looking for one-short Standard might have published and contain those pages since Standard had this habit of running strip reprint titles more so than other publishers in the late '40's era.

Date with Danger is a great title though :thumbsup:

Here is a two shot pick-up of newspaper reprint comics from Fox (just purchased off the bay), featuring "Frog's Daughter." Seems our hero Surgeon Stone was captured by Frog, whose daughter was quite capable of getting her way. Interestingly, the page shown below is from issue #13, yet the same panel image is also used on the cover of #14 (but no "Frog's Daugher" inside that issue). Apparently, #14 was actually published prior to #13. Also worthy of note, #14 is listed as "Scarce" in Overstreet. My first and only book to have such a designation I believe.

image4001f.jpg

image4002.jpg

image4003.jpg

Wow! Never seen these before. This era of Standard produced some very kinetic covers.

Here is a two shot pick-up of newspaper reprint comics from Fox (just purchased off the bay), featuring "Frog's Daughter." Seems our hero Surgeon Stone was captured by Frog, whose daughter was quite capable of getting her way. Interestingly, the page shown below is from issue #13, yet the same panel image is also used on the cover of #14 (but no "Frog's Daugher" inside that issue). Apparently, #14 was actually published prior to #13. Also worthy of note, #14 is listed as "Scarce" in Overstreet. My first and only book to have such a designation I believe.

image4001f.jpg

image4002.jpg

image4003.jpg

:applause::applause:(thumbs u Thanks for sharing!

(worship) Frog's daughter!

Kicking butt one panel, and then adjusting her stockings the next. That's my kinda gal. :luhv:

I have since upgraded to a much nicer(slabbed)copy of this book, but can't show the page from that copy for obvious reasons, but still had this pic from that now gone under copy in my bucket. From Super-Mystery Comics v6 #1

FullSizeRender1_zpsb490cfc4.jpg

I have since upgraded to a much nicer(slabbed)copy of this book, but can't show the page from that copy for obvious reasons, but still had this pic from that now gone under copy in my bucket. From Super-Mystery Comics v6 #1

FullSizeRender1_zpsb490cfc4.jpg

ISS GOOT, indeed!! :luhv:

Thanks for posting this gem!!

Just got this book in yesterday.

121q4uq.jpg

With an obviously great story. Here's a nice little gurl to play house with, eh eh.

r280o3.jpg

(worship) One of the best "femme fatale" splash pages I have ever seen!

This appears to be the exact same story that appears in CRIMES BY WOMEN #10 with the title "The Witch From Wichita".

Just got this book in yesterday.

121q4uq.jpg

With an obviously great story. Here's a nice little gurl to play house with, eh eh.

r280o3.jpg

(worship) One of the best "femme fatale" splash pages I have ever seen!

This appears to be the exact same story that appears in CRIMES BY WOMEN #10 with the title "The Witch From Wichita".

You're dead right!

I could understand a publisher re-using a story; Stanley Morse did it all the time, but these titles are from different companies, Star for the Startling Terror Tales, and Fox for the Crimes by Women. Judging from the font in the title, it looks like the Witch From Wichita was the original.

12.jpg

WOW! Those are some great covers.

My copy of Blue Beetle #51. This is Jack Kamen cover art of “The Shady Lady.” Her story begins inside front cover where she is described as a “nocturnal bombshell” and a “dangerous doll who dates with death!” Nothing that Daily Record reporter Joan Mason (gal pal to Blue Beetle (aka Dan Garrett)) can't handle.

image1107.jpg

Joan-Mason.png

ShadyLady1.png