• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HARLEY'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK Polybag Variants

209 posts in this topic

I'm new to this thread.

My bottom line is, I love the Green Arrow #47 variant cover.

I bought a black unopened bagged edition of the comic, opened it and did find that cover, in color.

Is that all of the fanfare?

Someone mentioned to me at the store that maybe for that cover, other variants existed.

I'm not interested in chasing original sketch covers per se.

What I am interested in, is if there's variations of this Tim Sale cover. Whether it's in B&W, a "Sketch Variant", or anything besides the color one I have.

Does anyone know more info.

Thanks!

I'm new to this thread.

My bottom line is, I love the Green Arrow #47 variant cover.

I bought a black unopened bagged edition of the comic, opened it and did find that cover, in color.

Is that all of the fanfare?

Someone mentioned to me at the store that maybe for that cover, other variants existed.

I'm not interested in chasing original sketch covers per se.

What I am interested in, is if there's variations of this Tim Sale cover. Whether it's in B&W, a "Sketch Variant", or anything besides the color one I have.

Does anyone know more info.

Thanks!

Basically for each polybagged variant there is one cover. That cover will come in one of three flavors: color, inked, or sketch variety. For each polybag you have a small chance of getting an original art on a blank cover variant that is an exclusive variant. That blank cover was basically only printed once for that sketch which will "prove" its authenticity.

Edited by drotto

That's why I like this promotion.

For years I wanted Marvel/DC/Image to do a promotion that gets these types of comics to their fans.

You are going to see this promotion more often now and quite frankly I think its great. Speculators can buy 100s, but it still comes down to a lucky pull.

+1

The reason this worked well for DC is the line-up of artists and popularity of the character. If they do it en masse for all of their other characters it will be overkill. However, doing one for Batman down the road, Wonder Woman, Superman, etc. every quarter or so should be okay as long as DC ensures that they have A list artists doing the cover variants.

Edited by kimik

The reason this worked well for DC is the line-up of artists and popularity of the character. If they do it en masse for all of their other characters it will be overkill. However, doing one for Batman down the road, Wonder Woman, Superman, etc. every quarter or so should be okay as long as DC ensures that they have A list artists doing the cover variants.

How do you know this worked "well" though? Seems there were definitely some production issues. Also, I would consider this just another one of the themed months that they have been doing for quite a while now. The only difference is that they are just slighty incentive based.

It is receiving much better positive buzz re: the quality of the covers and the chance for the random original sketch than other variants they have done. I don't see the same level of interest for the January coloring book covers, and the past few they have done (2015 lenticulars, Flash month, GL month, Other month, etc.) have been (shrug) at best.

How do you know this worked "well" though? Seems there were definitely some production issues. Also, I would consider this just another one of the themed months that they have been doing for quite a while now. The only difference is that they are just slighty incentive based.

Again unless the books are returned in massive amounts DC wont care. DC concerns are orders and returns. The rest they could care less about. Condition is not a concern and for the average comic book buy the concerns we list here they don't care about either.

It would have been a slam dunk all around if not for the production issue. They fix that next time and the books will be monsters. Its a nice novelty that done right gets the books to the customers who really buy the title. Or at least a fair chance.

Edited by Fastballspecial

If it is one variant per issue #50 from the best selling titles it could be okay. However, if it is 4 or 5 per every title it will likely backfire at the higher price point IMHO as there will be too many weak sellers getting them.