• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HARLEY'S LITTLE BLACK BOOK Polybag Variants

209 posts in this topic

Green Label :sick:

1 of 1 distributed from Diamond. One of those situations that irritates me about grading. IMO it has to be a 10 Gem Mint or a 0. There is not better nor worse.

Kind of like that My Little Pony one of a kind that only got a 9.6.

The 1 of 1 has nothing to do with what grade it is. What if it got run over by the UPS truck, would it still get a 9.8 just because it is the only one? Grade isn't a relative statement based on the population, or at least it shouldn't be.

The 1 of 1 should matter for label color. If DC kept adequate records and the book had some level of serial number or something (not saying they do, saying they could), the 1 of 1 sketches should be eligible for SS. It is certainly a more secure system than that WD 100 debacle from a few years ago that were eligible for yellow labels even though there was zero chain of custody.

1 of 1 distributed from Diamond. One of those situations that irritates me about grading. IMO it has to be a 10 Gem Mint or a 0. There is not better nor worse.

The 1 of 1 has nothing to do with what grade it is. What if it got run over by the UPS truck, would it still get a 9.8 just because it is the only one? Grade isn't a relative statement based on the population, or at least it shouldn't be.

The 1 of 1 should matter for label color. If DC kept adequate records and the book had some level of serial number or something (not saying they do, saying they could), the 1 of 1 sketches should be eligible for SS. It is certainly a more secure system than that WD 100 debacle from a few years ago that were eligible for yellow labels even though there was zero chain of custody.

If DC kept adequate records

You are aware that comic buyers that slab their books are a cult minority.

Might be 1% of DC's customer base.

I hardly think they're factoring the CGC crowd into their marketing.

They printed 100 unique comics, had them sketched on by their employee's & are distributing them in an unorthodox fashion.

If one of these shows up to be graded, It CAN'T be anything else.

CGC should update their policies.

Antiquated system.

Edited by LarrysComics

They printed 100 unique comics, had them sketched on by their employee's & are distributing them in an unorthodox fashion.

Antiquated system.

This wouldn't require fingerprints or DNA samples. A simple scan or digital photo of the art would do, along with maybe individually numbered blanks. Nothing that hasn't been done on other promotions.

CGC's policies are reasonable. Chain of custody should be preserved if something is going into a yellow label. But in instances where something is 1 of 1 and that can be demonstrated to everyone's satisfaction then the chain of custody should still apply just fine. It can only be the original known to have been sketched by artist X, and should be slabbed that way.

Antiquated system.

This wouldn't require fingerprints or DNA samples. A simple scan or digital photo of the art would do, along with maybe individually numbered blanks. Nothing that hasn't been done on other promotions.

CGC's policies are reasonable. Chain of custody should be preserved if something is going into a yellow label. But in instances where something is 1 of 1 and that can be demonstrated to everyone's satisfaction then the chain of custody should still apply just fine. It can only be the original known to have been sketched by artist X, and should be slabbed that way.

Huh? The other guy figured out how to do it.

The 1 of 1 has nothing to do with what grade it is. What if it got run over by the UPS truck, would it still get a 9.8 just because it is the only one?

Yes, it's the only one. Or give it a 0.0.

I understand the logic, there can be no way to determine what shape every book came of the line for 10's of thousands, but if you know there is only one copy, that IS the best copy.

Antiquated system.

Huh? The other guy figured out how to do it.

The 1 of 1 has nothing to do with what grade it is. What if it got run over by the UPS truck, would it still get a 9.8 just because it is the only one?

I understand the logic, there can be no way to determine what shape every book came of the line for 10's of thousands, but if you know there is only one copy, that IS the best copy.

By that rationale the best copy of any book should automatically be a 10 then. Did I get that right? So why is the best known copy of Action #1 only a 9.0? Should it be bumped up to a 9.8 by virtue of being the best one? And what happens if a better copy is located? What if the best copy isn't slabbed, how would you ever know what a 9.8 looked like?

The best copy of something doesn't determine what the 9.8 level is. A single copy existing doesn't mean that that single copy is 9.8. That isn't how it works.

the best copy of that book, and on a universal scale, it is something between .5 and 10. But it is not a 10 because it is the only copy.

By that rationale the best copy of any book should automatically be a 10 then. Did I get that right? So why is the best known copy of Action #1 only a 9.0? Should it be bumped up to a 9.8 by virtue of being the best one? And what happens if a better copy is located? What if the best copy isn't slabbed, how would you ever know what a 9.8 looked like?

The best copy of something doesn't determine what the 9.8 level is. A single copy existing doesn't mean that that single copy is 9.8. That isn't how it works.

I agree with this. The 9.8 is the grade of the comic and has absolutely nothing to do with the population of the comic. If a one of a kind only deserves a 7.0, then it should get a 7.0. If that bugs the person slabbing it, don't slab it!

Guess what!!! Slabbing has no impact on the OA books. That Campbell one is great, and also worth several thousand. The winner just hit the scratch off ticket of comic books.

where are you getting your numbers from? several thousand seems like a lot since I can get an OA sketch done and a con for about several thousand less....

Guess what!!! Slabbing has no impact on the OA books. That Campbell one is great, and also worth several thousand. The winner just hit the scratch off ticket of comic books.

where are you getting your numbers from? several thousand seems like a lot since I can get an OA sketch done and a con for about several thousand less....

That stupid Vader Down variant is getting $3000 plus, and you are going to tell me that somebody out there will not pay a stupid amount of money for a comic that will have a pedigree like this one? I really think the winner could get several thousand dollars. I have no actual numbers, just a bet.

That stupid Vader Down variant is getting $3000 plus, and you are going to tell me that somebody out there will not pay a stupid amount of money for a comic that will have a pedigree like this one? I really think the winner could get several thousand dollars. I have no actual numbers, just a bet.

Until one sells, we'll never know. Hard facts > guessing

I'm not saying it wont. i'm just skeptical. Anything is possible. But, paying that much for a book that can be replicated on any blank cover for thousands less seems silly.

When it comes to OA and sketches, I agree. It should be more about the art versus the grade.

I'm not saying it wont. i'm just skeptical. Anything is possible. But, paying that much for a book that can be replicated on any blank cover for thousands less seems silly.

Since when are people that spend 3000 on ugly variants logical?

Since when are people that spend 3000 on ugly variants logical?

SW fans are a crazy, illogical bunch

While it can be replicated, it would be on a regular blank and not the one and only original sketch edition blank cover. That is why it would carry a nice premium.