• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What series do you secretly hate that the comic community always praises?

190 posts in this topic

However I now know the people who I can't trust in life. lol

Who doesn't like The Killing Joke or Dark Knight. :fear:

YTLM I have read all the way through 5 times.

IMO the best comic book series of all time.

On the last Preacher trade now. I can see why people do not like it, but so far it is pretty good.

Preacher

+1 I couldn't finish the first issue.

Though I'm part of the "comic community always praises" it for this book, I can understand why someone would think that. Especially if not making it past the 1st issue. Ennis is definitely a love or hate kind of guy.

Transmet is one of my all-time favorite books. But the 1st time I read #1, I thought it was horrible. Read it again and forced myself to move forward. The 1st three issues are still the worst for me. But the rest of the series is liquid gold.

Swinging back to Preacher. If a person doesn't enjoy the 1st few issues, they probably are not going to like it at all.

Patrick

Um… It’s not like that (I have tried to read Ennis a lot of times).

If Preacher was meant as satire, OK, but it’s a kind of satire I find quickly annoying. Theologically speaking it’s nonsense.

Other commonly praised books I never liked are most of Neil Gaiman works, especially from some point onwards (for similar reasons).

As far as characters goes, most of Marvel today.

Guilty pleasures? I have no idea, I have to be really convinced by the stories, so I don’t think I have many… hm

The point that stock_rotation was making was that you are bashing "early Vertigo" while admitting that you haven't read the highly-praised run that lead to the creation of the Vertigo imprint or the star of the original lineup - and, really, Vertigo in general.

Because you missed the point, you now once again dismiss people who like "average fare" that was published by Marvel or DC because they couldn't possibly ever publish anything that's actually good.

The early Shade the Changing Man reprise was pretty good – but again, Milligan was above the average british writers, IMO.

Alan Moore did good things too, which could have been appreciated by every kind of reader. But it’s the past… :)

Not sure that the community always praises this run or artist, but not a big fan of Jae Lee

and really disliked his take on King's Dark Tower. Big fan of the books and

not sure what I was expecting, but the comic series was disappointing.

Not sure that the community always praises this run or artist, but not a big fan of Jae Lee

and really disliked his take on King's Dark Tower. Big fan of the books and

not sure what I was expecting, but the comic series was disappointing.

Taste aside, Jae Lee had an unusual "learning curve" as an artist. Most of his pages, at least up to the Inhumans maxi-series have big problems in their layout and/or navigation and "readability".