• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What series do you secretly hate that the comic community always praises?

190 posts in this topic

even the romita stuff????

I have to say that the Romita Spidey books, though beautifully illustrated, are pretty inferior to the Ditko run. Except for the odd exception like ASM 50-52, Spectacular Spider-Man Mag #2, they are fairly run of the mill. Ditko was definitely the heart and soul of the series, and when he left, Stan really didn't know what to do with it. Adding to this is that many of the "Romita" issues actually have art by Jim Mooney or someone else, and they just don't hold up. I actually thought the book improved when Gerry Conway took over(heresy, I know). These are my conclusions after reading issues 1-140 via the Masterworks.

Very similar for me. I prefer Romita's work from the 70s - much darker and grittier.

Watchmen. :P Hated the comic,hated the movie.

Guilty pleasure, Mark Millar's Wanted,V for Vendetta,and Frank Miller's Sin City.

Watched,or tried to,the movie first,dumb I know.Found the trade cheap at the Sally,read it,and still think both are junk,if not at least far over rated. Im with you on V.....found the trade and loved it so much I collected the comics.Sin City was always loved...MARV!!!

Never read Wanted ....but if one falls in my lap,I will take your word it is good and go in positive.

Sandman

I tried. Liked it for a while, then just got weary for the darkness, also the main character looks like Gaiman, who is such a nice guy, but it felt too...pretentious?

Then I got the annotated Sandman. With all the little behind the scenes details. Loved that part. Total appreciation for the writing. But the same goth girl angst. I'm probably not the right audience for that series.

Just got tired of it.

(shrug)

Authors 'requiring you to use your brain' are boring authors trying to show how clever they are instead of focussing on actually writing an entertaining story. This 'clever writing' that makes the writers feel so genius-like and the readers who swallow the Kool Aid think wow look how smart I am I'm reading this-just an utter abomination of the entire purpose of writing fiction.

Shakespeare did not try to be 'clever'. He focussed on entertaining stories.

Those who try to be smart only come off this way. Go read some Kate Atkinson (Highly recommend her "Case Histories") as she's the best fiction writer (in any form) today. In fact, she's probably the best writer in the last 50 or so years.

So how do you feel about "smart films" ??

I disagree with your statement as a whole though. Only the "bad" writers come off this way, like Grant Morrison who is the most overrated writer in comics. I've tried and tried again to read him and he's nauseating.

Agree on Walking Dead btw.

Authors 'requiring you to use your brain' are boring authors trying to show how clever they are instead of focussing on actually writing an entertaining story. This 'clever writing' that makes the writers feel so genius-like and the readers who swallow the Kool Aid think wow look how smart I am I'm reading this-just an utter abomination of the entire purpose of writing fiction.

Shakespeare did not try to be 'clever'. He focussed on entertaining stories.

Those who try to be smart only come off this way. Go read some Kate Atkinson (Highly recommend her "Case Histories") as she's the best fiction writer (in any form) today. In fact, she's probably the best writer in the last 50 or so years.

So how do you feel about "smart films" ??

I disagree with your statement as a whole though. Only the "bad" writers come off this way, like Grant Morrison who is the most overrated writer in comics. I've tried and tried again to read him and he's nauseating.

Agree on Walking Dead btw.

I gave up on women fiction writers long ago. I tried and tried they just seem to have a different slant on storytelling-going into detail about a characters past, family, history, etc. For true crime though they are top notch.

There's actual smart like 2001 then there's pretentious smart, like Vanilla Sky. I can't stand the pretentious smart.

I gave up on women fiction writers long ago.

you should try Gail Simone (her run most recent run on Batgirl wasnt everyone's cup of tea, but go read Birds of Prey, or Secret Six, both great). Or some recent stuff from Kelly Sue DeConnick. Or Noelle Stevenson's Lumberjanes. I really like Kathryn Immonen's work. Espeically her Hellcat limited run, and her time on JiM. For really out ther Rumiko Takahashi (a god of Manga) wrote and drew a ton, including The Mermaid's Scar... reads like The X-file (one of the good episodes).

you should also try not lumping an entire gender into one broad statement.

You can point the accusing finger at me all you want but it's very common for female writers to use a male pseudonym-why is that?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=women%20writers%20that%20use%20male%20pseudonym

You can point the accusing finger at me all you want but it's very common for female writers to use a male pseudonym-why is that?

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=women%20writers%20that%20use%20male%20pseudonym

(ps nice edit there quickdraw!)

you get that female writers often use male pseudonyms to overcome or circumvent the exact biases that you are exhibiting? The biases that assume quality (or lack there of) or style based on the author's gender rather than on the merits of their individual writing?