• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What series do you secretly hate that the comic community always praises?

190 posts in this topic

I didn't have a bias-as I said I tried reading women fiction writers-a lot of them-and didn't care for the writing style. That doesn't make me a bad person. I read a lot of women true crime books-so there goes the bias theory.

I didn't have a bias-as I said I tried reading women fiction writers-a lot of them-and didn't care for the writing style. That doesn't make me a bad person. I read a lot of women true crime books-so there goes the bias theory.

regardless of your biases, you should check out Gail Simone's Birds of Prey, or any of the other writers I mentioned. All top notch.

I don't think there's anything wrong with saying men and women are different-diversity is good!

Viva la diference as they say!

There are plenty of things about men as a group I don't like. Sports for instance.

Anything and everything Frank Miller and Alan Moore. I cannot stand grim, gritty, depressing and hopeless. I do enjoy the existence of Elektra and Bullseye, but I hate Stick and I did enjoy the V for Vendetta movie however.

...J Scott Campbell Artwork

...every single one of those Grimm Fairy Tales "books" and all their derivatives.

This!

All the female characters that JSC draws must be related, because they all look alike; almond shaped eyes, button noses (always blushing), insanely skinny, legs for days, etc. I like some of his art, don't particularly care much for his "style" of drawing women.

GFT & derivatives = :eyeroll:

...J Scott Campbell Artwork

...every single one of those Grimm Fairy Tales "books" and all their derivatives.

This!

All the female characters that JSC draws must be related, because they all look alike; almond shaped eyes, button noses (always blushing), insanely skinny, legs for days, etc. I like some of his art, don't particularly care much for his "style" of drawing women.

GFT & derivatives = :eyeroll:

This again! I like half naked women and all, but those covers are just wrong in my opinion.

What I secret hate that the comic comic community always praises?

1) Dark Knight Returns

I read for the first time in 2004, thought it was dated and felt uncomfortable with the relationship between Batman and the new Robin. I also didn't like the art.

2) Grant Morrison's New X-Men run

I bought the Omnibus for $60 on Barnes and Nobel in the mid 2000s because I heard it was so good. I didn't care for it and sold it on ebay for $80 after it went out of print.

3) Grant Morrison's Batman run in the late 2000s

This made me stop buying new Bat books on new arrival day at my LCS, couldn't stand Damion Wayne.

Walking Dead TV > Walking Dead Comics

I would agree. Some of the books are very slow and the art is horrible in places. While the TV show is also slow I think they have learned their lesson and the pace is much better now and has much less whinging. Also the production values are great especially the 1st season. The opening sequence of episode one was the reason I kept watching.

I don't hate it but I think most of the EC stuff doesn't deserve the praise it gets.

Watchmen is overrated V is better.

And Frank Miller's art (anything past Sin City) looking at it is the equivalent of having anal warts crusting over your eyes.

Success I do not understand:

Deadpool

Critical praise I do not understand:

Frank Miller's Ronin

Progress I do not understand:

Modern production values including overly complicated color-palettes and higher-grade paper. I still want 4-colors on newsprint which I why 95% of my spend is pre-1985.

Guilty pleasures:

Anything by Benjamin Marra

Charles Forsman's Revenger

Anything by Erik Larsen

Anything with art/cover by Alexis Ziritt

Also I adore Rob Liefeld although I don't spend any money on his new books/covers. I just love his perseverance and Moxy and frankly... his art when he chooses to produce some.