• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Swamp Thing #1 splash

156 posts in this topic

That's a great piece but I have to say his light source is all over the map!! Is it coming from the right, the left, above, below? Who knows????

Does anyone think the seller would have made more putting this on either Heritage or ComicLink or even eBay than offering it up through ComicConnect (not to disparage their efforts, but quite frankly I don't hear much buzz about their auctions on even these boards as much as how the Heritage and ComicLink auctions are hyped up before, during and after theirs).

I know folks mention commission as the motivator for sellers... but would a person rather pay 3% commission on $56,000 (to net $54,320) or pay 10% commission on $100,000 (to net $90,000) or even if it sold for $65,000 (net $58,500) if another auction house could bring the right buyers to the table, so it's often pennywise pound foolish to let commission rates rule the decision making.

No way to know, but 56K seems like a very healthy price to me.

That's a great piece but I have to say his light source is all over the map!! Is it coming from the right, the left, above, below? Who knows????

Hey now, watch it! Multiple light sources: Moon, lightning, light from the house, reflection from Swamp Water... he ain't posing in a studio with a single-camera-flash ya know.

I like it, but it's one of those instances where I'd rather have one of the better panel pages from the book. There's just not much going on. That's not a knock on Bernie; the piece is immaculately rendered.

So, I find comicconnect kind of exhausting - from their descriptions to their layout, etc. and I normally just ignore them.

However, spurred by the other comicconnect thread, I checked it out and there is a real beauty up for auction right now:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=640833

Currently at 45k, I'm going to say a little more action at the end to get to 60k. To be honest though it could end at 45 or go to 90, I have no clue and find this one really hard to handicap.

swa2.674a.jpg

I remember seeing this for sale at a Houston or Dallas show I was set up at back in the mid 80s. $1000. A king's ransom at the time. Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

I remember seeing this for sale at a Houston or Dallas show I was set up at back in the mid 80s. $1000. A king's ransom at the time. Shoulda, coulda, woulda...

There's the art, it is always what it is but...there were actually a lot better ways to spend $1k back then and cashout in 2015. Romita LA ASM covers...x3 for the same money. Kirby complete FF stories, LA or SA would cashout at more than $56k (a lot more if LA), as examples...there are many more of course :)

Seems fair to me too. Its a great image, key book, but 56k for a interior page headshot, however nice, is plenty

This is a really gorgeous piece but I agree, it fetched a healthy sum. Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if this changed hands at $75K a few years from now.

Agreed. Sorry Kav, but that's just ignorant of how lighting works in the real world.

That's a beauty of a splash, irregardless of what someone paid for it. Wrightson really flexing his artistic muscles at this point.

If you can set up lights such that a photo shows the left eye socket completely shrouded in shadow meanwhile the left cheek is lit meanwhile the right cheek is draped in shadow yet the right eye socket is lit-I will eat my hat.

One of the first lessons in art school was DEFINE YOUR LIGHT SOURCE.

Kav might have a point - I'm not 100% sure, but I hear what he's saying. It does seem that at a minimum if the lighting is low level ambient such as the swamp at night, that there shouldn't be so marked a difference in the lighting on the eye sockets. Doubt anyone cares though. At the end of the day this is more about a dramatic shot than technical perfection. Could say the same about kirby (I've never seen a squiggle on someone's leg before) and/or countless others.

Agreed. Sorry Kav, but that's just ignorant of how lighting works in the real world.

That's a beauty of a splash, irregardless of what someone paid for it. Wrightson really flexing his artistic muscles at this point.

If you can set up lights such that a photo shows the left eye socket completely shrouded in shadow meanwhile the left cheek is lit meanwhile the right cheek is draped in shadow yet the right eye socket is lit-I will eat my hat.

One of the first lessons in art school was DEFINE YOUR LIGHT SOURCE.

Shadows from a tree, branch? How do you define multiple shadows, etc. A bit of nit picking, no?

I'm definitely nit-picking. The page is better than I could ever do and I would love to own it or even look at it.