• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

On 12/21/2023 at 8:25 AM, Bronty said:

No disrespect to anyone that collects shoes, but I don't get it.   

I look at that the way most people probably look at comic art collecting:   da fuq?

Collecting shoes or referring to unworn shoes as deadstock, despite that term having a very specific meaning in retail (or so I thought)?

My brief exploration into the hobby makes it seem like its very much about scoring shoes at drops and/or having a connection, so like Mondo poster collecting of the 2010s (based on artificial scarcity). Now youtube is telling me the resale market is dying though :)

Edited by cstojano

On 12/21/2023 at 10:50 AM, cstojano said:

Collecting shoes or referring to unworn shoes as deadstock, despite that term having a very specific meaning in retail (or so I thought)?

My brief exploration into the hobby makes it seem like its very much about scoring shoes at drops and/or having a connection, so like Mondo poster collecting of the 2010s (based on artificial scarcity). Now youtube is telling me the resale market is dying though :)

Of course.   All about whatever flashy thing came out last week.    And that model isn't sustainable because there's always something else flashier coming out next week.

On 12/21/2023 at 8:50 AM, fsumavila said:

I LOVE that Temple of Doom cover and intend to bid on it, but am almost certain it will go beyond my budget. This was another great interview by Felix. Really enjoyed the conversation between the two and I love that Dave is so open about discussing his collection. 

Also, I'd take the cover art to Uncanny X-men #141 over #137 ALL DAY :)

I honestly have no idea what the TOD will sell for but the fact that they pulled that from his collection to sell suggests I am WAY undervaluing that piece :)

On 12/21/2023 at 10:57 AM, cstojano said:

I honestly have no idea what the TOD will sell for but the fact that they pulled that from his collection to sell suggests I am WAY undervaluing that piece :)

I'm not so sure.   What do you think its worth?  My super uneducated guess guess is 15-20k for the fact its the #1.    I don't see it as massively valuable, but I really have no idea.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:00 AM, Bronty said:

I'm not so sure.   What do you think its worth?  My super uneducated guess guess is 15-20k for the fact its the #1.    I don't see it as massively valuable, but I really have no idea.

That's where I had it. Seems an odd pull to make up the deficit.

On 12/21/2023 at 11:03 AM, cstojano said:

That's where I had it. Seems an odd pull to make up the deficit.

besides, it might be as simple as - I have props from the movie, so this comic cover is expendable, throw it on the pile.

On 12/21/2023 at 10:50 AM, fsumavila said:

Also, I'd take the cover art to Uncanny X-men #141 over #137 ALL DAY :)

Between UXM #137, UXM #141 and Daredevil #181 (the trade-off discussed in the podcast), UXM #137 is a far distant third for me.

Between Daredevil #181 and UXM #141, I personally love DD #181 more, but, UXM #141 is not far behind and is objectively worth more financially and has more of an aura/mystique about it. 

If I was stuck on a desert island, I'd rather have the DD #181, but, in the real world, if given the choice straight up, I'd probably take the UXM #141. I'd enjoy it almost as much and my kids will enjoy it more as they love the X-Men/Wolverine and don't care at all about Daredevil. Plus, if they ever wanted to sell after I'm gone, the UXM #141 will almost surely be worth more at that time. 

Like Dave, though, I'd rather have UXM #137 and DD #181 together over UXM #141 alone. 

Edited by delekkerste

On 12/22/2023 at 1:19 PM, gumbydarnit said:

It’s always funny when Felix interjects his trade scenario game into the podcast. Dave is always a good sport.

Maybe Felix needs to spend OAX running a trade proposal booth.

Something about this always reminds me of taking turns flipping pages in the Monster Manual and having to pick just one monster per page. I love it because it reflects something hard to discuss in other ways - the psychology and value systems we intuitively use when collecting. That's harder to pin down without real examples. 

Edited by cstojano

Thanks Felix and Dave for a very insightful post-auction wrap up.  It isn't often that we have the opportunity to hear from a large consignor regarding final hammer prices on his lots.  And this one was particularly interesting given the breadth, and quality of the pieces, across multiple auction days.

First and foremost, I wasn't aware that so many lots in this auction were David's.  Sure, I knew of a handful of them from Felixs' previous podcast, but I really do wish Heritage would have identified all of the items from David's collection, at the very least for reference sake.

As many others have noted, I certainly thought the Byrne X-Men 137 page underperformed, while the Miller DD 181 page exceeded expectations, or so I thought, until I heard David discuss his take on the piece. 

Re: The Bachalo Death piece...my pre-auction estimate was exactly in line with David's...it went for one incremental bid ($5K) higher.

I don't want to give away any more information because I think folks should really listen to the conversation for themselves, but in my own selfish way, I would certainly love to see as many pieces as possible turn up for auction from David's collection.  (thumbsu

Spoiler

That was fun, looking forward to the next post auction review. The fact that there was virtually no final auction day activity on the X-Men # 137 piece did seem odd. I have no idea what the proper market values should be on any of these pieces because in the past 3-4 years everything has increased exponentially. I remember not too long ago when a great action page from issue #113 went for (at the time was a considered to be an aggressive price) $35Kish but now I’m sure it could fetch considerably more. Personally the Byrne Cap piece was my sentimental favourite and I didn’t think that the 137 was overly exciting (just my personal tastes). IMO they are many more desirable pages from Byrne’s run that gets my juices flowing. 

Edited by Silver Surfer

What a great listen, some LEGENDARY quotes in this one, really enjoyed the insight and thought process. 

This one is a CAN'T MISS!!

On 1/19/2024 at 2:02 PM, Silver Surfer said:

That was fun, looking forward to the next post auction review. The fact that there was virtually no final auction day activity on the X-Men # 137 piece did seem odd. I have no idea what the proper market values should be on any of these pieces because in the past 3-4 years everything has increased exponentially. I remember not too long when a great action page from issue #113 went for (at the time was a considered to be an aggressive price) $35Kish but now I’m sure it could fetch considerably more. Personally the Byrne Cap piece was my sentimental favourite and I didn’t think that the 137 was overly exciting (just my personal tastes). IMO they are many more desirable pages from Byrne’s run that gets my juices flowing. 

Nobody asked, but I'll weigh in:

• Did ANY of the Byrne X-Men pages get live bids? Maybe the 2nd page got one? It seems like all three were "price discovered" before the auction. I don't think Rob posted any wins to Facebook. Could be a factor.
  • I'd take the 137 cover over the 141 cover. 141 cover is better drawn, but doesn't give me chills the way 137 does.
  • When I started collecting (early 2000s) here was a small mini-cabal of Byrne collectors who tried to convince the world that DoFP was equal or superior to the Dark Phoenix Saga... I never bought what they were selling.
  • I LOVED the 137 page from this auction. Was 100% as good as it gets without being some key very specific A+ moment. (maybe this is why the DD181 went so high... no DD or Elektra, but very memorable scene)
Edited by J.Sid

No spoilers here…. another great must listen!

I enjoy all Dave’s podcasts, but these related to the X-Wing auction, it’s purchase and the auctioning of OA to fund the purchase are especially great… thanks Dave and Felix!!!

Slight drift- My list of favorite X-Men stories has the X-Men Savage Land at the top spot (the Byrne/Claremont story of course).

Edited by gumbydarnit