• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

On 12/18/2023 at 8:27 PM, Brian Peck said:

I look forward to the next Flix Lu podcast with Mandel to reveal what more he is letting go to fund his X-Wing. If there are OA collectors who have not watched the Stuff Dreams AR Made Of podcasts I highly recommend the most recent one "The Wives 2.0"

Its funny how the 600k Stormtrooper costume sort of gets lost in this isn't it? 

Would love to hear predictions on the Guice TOD cover. Felix may have misspoke and called it #2 or maybe that one is coming this summer? Ditto for the Campbell cover. I like's his assessment that the interiors from that series are really the draw. The covers are very strange IMO.

Edited by cstojano

On 12/19/2023 at 10:11 PM, cstojano said:

Would love to hear predictions on the Guice TOD cover. Felix may have misspoke and called it #2 or maybe that one is coming this summer? Ditto for the Campbell cover. I like's his assessment that the interiors from that series are really the draw. The covers are very strange IMO.

Did they say which Campbell cover?

On 12/19/2023 at 8:17 PM, JC25427N said:

Did they say which Campbell cover?

I forget the numbers, maybe 4. Its the one of the closeup of the black cat.

I probably don't have a chance in hell of winning this cover BUT given its fairly small size and obscure imagery I think this is a candidate for framing with a copy of the book itself, which I have never done,

Edited by cstojano

I'm glad that Dave Mandel is so willing to talk, he is always entertaining and speaks loudly concerning a lot of the nitwittery that goes on in comic art collecting. He and Felix are two of the most entertaining guys in the hobby. The Stuff Dreams Are Made Of podcast is a must listen for me (youtube link), I cant wait for new episodes to be posted. Movie props... another hobby I cant afford to participate in, but thanks to Dave and Ryan I get a bit of vicarusily thrill, I so wanted Dave to land the X-Wing! Felix, you can talk Dark Knight Returns like no one else, love it! 

Edited by gumbydarnit

That bond painting at propstore as well.   So he's 4m deep between those three items.    Big checks, but good for him.

Really good podcast.  Thank you for the early Christmas gift!
Dave's takes are always interesting, even though he's at the opposite end of the collecting pool from me. 

I really liked that he shared his rationale on the pieces to let go of.  For all the debate on the board about artistic quality vs. nostalgia, I thought it was really cool that his reasoning for a lot of the pieces was that the issue just didn't have any nostalgia for him.  It made for a really good real-life example of weighing the two. 

On 12/20/2023 at 10:59 AM, cstojano said:

Yeah I kept waiting for the annoyed spouse angle to thaw...but it didn't. :)

Always love hearing Dave's take on things.

I'm not sure why you expected it to thaw ;) 

I figure its worse when she's not on air.    Look, I think part of her can understand that he's selling stuff to pay for it, and she must understand that he has a good career and no doubt provides the family with everything they could want, but wives generally look at collectibles as frivolous spending.    They don't see the value in it.     We as the husbands generally rationalize it away at least partly as an investment (Dave did so himself by saying - as long as the kids can get the money back one day and I enjoyed owning it then its a win) where to the wives its useless trash that they would literally sell tomorrow if we were gone.    It clutters up the home to them and its money they could spend on stuff of value to them (and I'm cringing as I write this) like shoes, purses and kitchen remodels.

On 12/20/2023 at 2:29 PM, gumbydarnit said:

Nice shoe collection you got there Vodou, got any Air Jordans? 

Youtube recently send me down the sneaker collecting rabbit hole. Its always fun learning what the inside lingo means in different collecting areas. I kept wondering what the shoe brand DS was :) Is the price difference between used and brand new (or DS) sneakers the same phenomenon as grading comics? I'd argue NOT, which would drive me crazy about sneaker collecting. 

Edited by cstojano

On 12/20/2023 at 2:06 PM, cstojano said:

Youtube recently send me down the sneaker collecting rabbit hole. Its always fun learning what the inside lingo means in different collecting areas. I kept wondering what the shoe brand DS was :) Is the price difference between used and brand new (or DS) sneakers the same phenomenon as grading comics? I'd argue NOT, which would drive me crazy about sneaker collecting. 

For those that don’t know, DS is deadstock. It is a mint, unworn sneaker. 

On 12/21/2023 at 2:19 AM, Xatari said:

For those that don’t know, DS is deadstock. It is a mint, unworn sneaker. 

No disrespect to anyone that collects shoes, but I don't get it.   

I look at that the way most people probably look at comic art collecting:   da fuq?

I LOVE that Temple of Doom cover and intend to bid on it, but am almost certain it will go beyond my budget. This was another great interview by Felix. Really enjoyed the conversation between the two and I love that Dave is so open about discussing his collection. 

Also, I'd take the cover art to Uncanny X-men #141 over #137 ALL DAY :)