• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New podcast/video from Felix Comic Art (UPDATED 1/3/17!)
6 6

1,651 posts in this topic

On 6/22/2022 at 4:59 PM, Race said:

?????

Listen to the podcast....at least the first hour with Dave and ALL will be REVEALED!

On 6/23/2022 at 12:35 AM, Nexus said:

@Nexus with the shout and and link in Forbes.  Woot Woot!!

On 6/23/2022 at 12:37 AM, Xatari said:

I had fun with the episode and also realize there is a disconnect between many "generations" of OA collectors.  i make no bones about the fact that I love to collect first appearance art which is somewhat a logical extension of growing up in the 80's and starting with baseball cards and comic books where Rookie Cards and First Appearance issues carry significance.  I also collect characters from many eras including modern.  Entering the hobby only a few years ago means access to many desired pieces is limited as the interview reiterated.

That's exactly how I started collecting back issues at age 10. I pulled out Overstreet and then a couple years later the first edition of the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and made a master list of all the important first appearances of mainline heroes and villains and tracked them all down. I was 17 before I got all the ones I wanted (95% Marvel), and I mowed a lot of lawns to pay for it, but I was one of the few 12 year olds that was undeterred by the $25 it would cost me for a fine condition Fantastic Four #5, for example. 

First appearances have been a handy guidepost for anyone entering comics or art for long before I even started collecting. 

On 6/22/2022 at 11:31 PM, Nexus said:

Examples?

Ok, Ill play.

You are the example Felix - I am sure your artists are happy and grateful, you absolutely kick @ss and get them top dollar maximized prices on their art as a very successful, if not the most successful ever modern Dealer/Rep operating. Congratulations on your success.  The sales you generate for your clients are the best in the game, but you are also THE UNDISPUTED KING of modern pump and dump, FOMO (fear of missing out) sales, and 1st appearance hype! 

Cut and paste of your own ultra hype emails below are the example.

You pump and dumped Venom 25 "Virus and Future Venom" as the next big thing for 25K(?).  It was Just Dylan and Scorpion in different suits. This sale is the NUMBER ONE example within the hobby of "don't believe the hype, could just be another Virus rope-a dope" when it comes to overpriced 1st appearance art sales.

You pump and dumped Dark Ages Miles Carnage/Venom as a "1st appearance" for 12K(?),  when the character was on the cover of issue 2 , five issues earlier.  If I was the buyer I would think a refund would be in order for false advertising.  Not even close to a 1st appearance, more like 14/15th(?) with interior appearances prior as well. ( not gonna mention the Hulk FCBD hype, as I am also the buyer of that hype😎 )

You pumped and dumped Titan as the next big thing for 30K! This is like the 17th different Hulk we have gotten, so maybe? but the track record is not looking good.

Again, all praise due to you for transforming the modern art market into record breaking sales for your artists, but you did it being THE pump and dump 1st appearances and modern FOMO hype KING! 

Cheers 🍻

ATTENTION Ryan Stegman / VENOM fans: The incredible double-page splash from VENOM #25 is now available for offers!

VENOM #25 just hit comics shops yesterday, and we have been inundated with requests for Ryan's original art DPS from the issue. Not just because it's amazing art, but also because it's massive! 17"X22"! A rare DPS from Ryan (he's only done three during his entire VENOM run). No surprise, then, that collectors are hot after it.

But what you may not know...this DPS isn't just a pretty piece of art. It's also a teaser for Ryan's followup to his smash blockbuster, ABSOLUTE CARNAGE. And the biggest news of all: It features not one, but TWO, major first appearances!!

First appearance of Virus.

First appearance of the future Venom.

Ryan and writer Donny Cates have big plans for both. We've previously sold the first appearances of new Marvel Universe mainstays Cosmic Ghost Rider and Knull. Virus and the new Venom feel as significant as those. And these two may end up even bigger.

Ryan's VENOM (182/190 pieces sold!) and ABSOLUTE CARNAGE (129/136 pieces sold!) have been two of the most popular new series from Marvel in years. Both with readers and original art collectors. This VENOM #25 DPS represents a new peak, and shows that Ryan and Donny are determined to create work that will be amongst the most memorable Marvel runs ever!

Check out the DPS here. We are accepting bids starting NOW. Please write me with your best offer, as we reserve the right to end this auction at any time, whenever Ryan decides. Thanks everyone, good luck, and congrats in advance to the collector who lands this historic monster! Talk soon!

Felix

*NYFC 2021 SURPRISE DROP ANNOUNCMENT*

Two Marvel megastars are better than one...two FIRST APPEARANCES are better than one...

All-new RYAN OTTLEY and RYAN STEGMAN original art drops tomorrow, Saturday, October 23rd, at 9AM PDT/12PM EDT! Two Ryans are better than one!

There is no artist more important to superhero comics in the past 20 years than Ryan Ottley. From INVINCIBLE to THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, his work defines this era, and serves as the inspiration for all superhero comic artists following him. And now he moves onto a dream project...HULK!

This isn't just a relaunch with superstar writer Donny Cates, it's a redefinition of the character. And it all starts with the HULK Free Comic Book Day #1 issue released this summer!

This is the jumping off point for what is going to be a classic Hulk run: Hulk breaks into MODOK's fortress, steals his tech, and...it's a whole new era for Ryan, Donny, Hulk, and Marvel! If you thought Donny and Nic Klein's THOR was an unqualified smash hit, we were just getting started!

So this is the FIRST APPEARANCE of Ryan and Donny's Hulk (including the first appearance of Hulk with his new gear) AND these are the ONLY pages from the run that are both penciled AND inked by Ryan! Ryan also penciled/inked the oversized issue #1, but that art will ONLY be available complete (and only for an insane number). All other issues will be inked by Ryan's awesome collaborator, Cliff Rathburn. But if you want Ottley/Ottley...this is it.

I did say two Ryans are better than one...so yes, we also have all-new art from fellow Marvel superstar, RYAN STEGMAN! Whose art for VENOM, ABSOLUTE CARNAGE, and KING IN BLACK are all 100% sold out! And not just any art, but COVERS! And not just any covers, but covers for the birth of a new Marvel universe, DARK AGES!

Ryan is doing SIX covers for this series, and ALL will be available tomorrow! Check out a sneak peek group pic on my social media (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook). You'll see the debut of all-new versions of Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Vision. But most importantly...the FIRST APPEARANCES of new villain The Unmaker...and Miles Morales Venom!

Miles Morales is the key Marvel character of the modern era. First appearances are now more highly sought-after than ever before. All of this art will be priced accordingly. We only have one chance to sell it, and you only have one chance to get it from the source. Time payment plan is available with prior approval. Refresh the UPDATES tab at drop to see all the art. For SDFC 2020. we had a surprise drop for Tradd Moore's SILVER SURFER BLACK. For SDFC 2021, a surprise drop for TWO issues of Daniel Warren Johnson's BETA RAY BILL. For NYFC 2021, we're going for the crown. Thanks and best of luck to all tomorrow!

Felix

The classic HULK run in-the-making rumbles on...RYAN OTTLEY / HULK #5 original art drops tomorrow, Friday, April 1st, at 9AM PDT/12PM EDT!

And yes, this is issue is NOT being sold complete...which means everyone will have a shot at ALL the pages! Plus...the most kickass cover of the run so far!

By now, you all know that HULK #6 is going to be not just one of the biggest Hulk issues ever, but one that looks very likely to be considered a Marvel key. All because of Titan. If you've been living in a cave, you can catch up on the craziness now:

First Look At The Deadliest Hulk In Marvel History

Marvel Unveils First Look at the Deadliest Hulk Ever: Meet Titan

Everything We Know About Titan

HULK #5 is the lead-in...and perhaps features the "birth page" of Titan?:

Where Does The Hulk's Titan Come From? (Hulk #5 Spoilers)

HULK #6 will cap off what has been one of the wildest and most action-packed Hulk runs...ever! That means every issue, every page, of this run will have been a part of something special. And there's been no more perfect artist for the job than Ryan. After INVINCIBLE, Ryan didn't need HULK to establish himself as THE master of comics mayhem. But now let there no doubt. At all.

As always, refresh UPDATES to see all of the art at once. Time payment plans may be available with prior approval. Every page an impeccable example of why original comic art captures our imaginations so intensely. Thank you Ryan, and thank you Cliff Rathburn for the inking perfection! And thank you in advance to all who check in tomorrow...and good luck!

Felix
Edited by cbaileypacker

On 6/23/2022 at 11:19 AM, cbaileypacker said:

Ok, Ill play.

You are the example Felix - I am sure your artists are happy and grateful, you absolutely kick @ss and get them top dollar maximized prices on their art as a very successful, if not the most successful ever modern Dealer/Rep operating. Congratulations on your success.  The sales you generate for your clients are the best in the game, but you are also THE UNDISPUTED KING of modern pump and dump, FOMO (fear of missing out) sales, and 1st appearance hype! 

Cut and paste of your own ultra hype emails below are the example.

You pump and dumped Venom 25 "Virus and Future Venom" as the next big thing for 25K(?).  It was Just Dylan and Scorpion in different suits. This sale is the NUMBER ONE example within the hobby of "don't believe the hype, could just be another Virus rope-a dope" when it comes to overpriced 1st appearance art sales.

You pump and dumped Dark Ages Miles Carnage/Venom as a "1st appearance" for 12K(?),  when the character was on the cover of issue 1 , five issues earlier.  If I was the buyer I would think a refund would be in order for false advertising.  Not even close to a 1st appearance, more like 14/15th(?) with interior appearances prior as well. ( not gonna mention the Hulk FCBD hype, as I am also the buyer of that hype😎 )

You pumped and dumped Titan as the next big thing for 30K! This is like the 17th different Hulk we have gotten, so maybe? but the track record is not looking good.

Again, all praise due to you for transforming the modern art market into record breaking sales for your artists, but you did it being THE pump and dump 1st appearances and modern FOMO hype KING! 

Cheers 🍻

ATTENTION Ryan Stegman / VENOM fans: The incredible double-page splash from VENOM #25 is now available for offers!

VENOM #25 just hit comics shops yesterday, and we have been inundated with requests for Ryan's original art DPS from the issue. Not just because it's amazing art, but also because it's massive! 17"X22"! A rare DPS from Ryan (he's only done three during his entire VENOM run). No surprise, then, that collectors are hot after it.

But what you may not know...this DPS isn't just a pretty piece of art. It's also a teaser for Ryan's followup to his smash blockbuster, ABSOLUTE CARNAGE. And the biggest news of all: It features not one, but TWO, major first appearances!!

First appearance of Virus.

First appearance of the future Venom.

Ryan and writer Donny Cates have big plans for both. We've previously sold the first appearances of new Marvel Universe mainstays Cosmic Ghost Rider and Knull. Virus and the new Venom feel as significant as those. And these two may end up even bigger.

Ryan's VENOM (182/190 pieces sold!) and ABSOLUTE CARNAGE (129/136 pieces sold!) have been two of the most popular new series from Marvel in years. Both with readers and original art collectors. This VENOM #25 DPS represents a new peak, and shows that Ryan and Donny are determined to create work that will be amongst the most memorable Marvel runs ever!

Check out the DPS here. We are accepting bids starting NOW. Please write me with your best offer, as we reserve the right to end this auction at any time, whenever Ryan decides. Thanks everyone, good luck, and congrats in advance to the collector who lands this historic monster! Talk soon!

Felix

*NYFC 2021 SURPRISE DROP ANNOUNCMENT*

Two Marvel megastars are better than one...two FIRST APPEARANCES are better than one...

All-new RYAN OTTLEY and RYAN STEGMAN original art drops tomorrow, Saturday, October 23rd, at 9AM PDT/12PM EDT! Two Ryans are better than one!

There is no artist more important to superhero comics in the past 20 years than Ryan Ottley. From INVINCIBLE to THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, his work defines this era, and serves as the inspiration for all superhero comic artists following him. And now he moves onto a dream project...HULK!

This isn't just a relaunch with superstar writer Donny Cates, it's a redefinition of the character. And it all starts with the HULK Free Comic Book Day #1 issue released this summer!

This is the jumping off point for what is going to be a classic Hulk run: Hulk breaks into MODOK's fortress, steals his tech, and...it's a whole new era for Ryan, Donny, Hulk, and Marvel! If you thought Donny and Nic Klein's THOR was an unqualified smash hit, we were just getting started!

So this is the FIRST APPEARANCE of Ryan and Donny's Hulk (including the first appearance of Hulk with his new gear) AND these are the ONLY pages from the run that are both penciled AND inked by Ryan! Ryan also penciled/inked the oversized issue #1, but that art will ONLY be available complete (and only for an insane number). All other issues will be inked by Ryan's awesome collaborator, Cliff Rathburn. But if you want Ottley/Ottley...this is it.

I did say two Ryans are better than one...so yes, we also have all-new art from fellow Marvel superstar, RYAN STEGMAN! Whose art for VENOM, ABSOLUTE CARNAGE, and KING IN BLACK are all 100% sold out! And not just any art, but COVERS! And not just any covers, but covers for the birth of a new Marvel universe, DARK AGES!

Ryan is doing SIX covers for this series, and ALL will be available tomorrow! Check out a sneak peek group pic on my social media (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook). You'll see the debut of all-new versions of Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Vision. But most importantly...the FIRST APPEARANCES of new villain The Unmaker...and Miles Morales Venom!

Miles Morales is the key Marvel character of the modern era. First appearances are now more highly sought-after than ever before. All of this art will be priced accordingly. We only have one chance to sell it, and you only have one chance to get it from the source. Time payment plan is available with prior approval. Refresh the UPDATES tab at drop to see all the art. For SDFC 2020. we had a surprise drop for Tradd Moore's SILVER SURFER BLACK. For SDFC 2021, a surprise drop for TWO issues of Daniel Warren Johnson's BETA RAY BILL. For NYFC 2021, we're going for the crown. Thanks and best of luck to all tomorrow!

Felix

The classic HULK run in-the-making rumbles on...RYAN OTTLEY / HULK #5 original art drops tomorrow, Friday, April 1st, at 9AM PDT/12PM EDT!

And yes, this is issue is NOT being sold complete...which means everyone will have a shot at ALL the pages! Plus...the most kickass cover of the run so far!

By now, you all know that HULK #6 is going to be not just one of the biggest Hulk issues ever, but one that looks very likely to be considered a Marvel key. All because of Titan. If you've been living in a cave, you can catch up on the craziness now:

First Look At The Deadliest Hulk In Marvel History

Marvel Unveils First Look at the Deadliest Hulk Ever: Meet Titan

Everything We Know About Titan

HULK #5 is the lead-in...and perhaps features the "birth page" of Titan?:

Where Does The Hulk's Titan Come From? (Hulk #5 Spoilers)

HULK #6 will cap off what has been one of the wildest and most action-packed Hulk runs...ever! That means every issue, every page, of this run will have been a part of something special. And there's been no more perfect artist for the job than Ryan. After INVINCIBLE, Ryan didn't need HULK to establish himself as THE master of comics mayhem. But now let there no doubt. At all.

As always, refresh UPDATES to see all of the art at once. Time payment plans may be available with prior approval. Every page an impeccable example of why original comic art captures our imaginations so intensely. Thank you Ryan, and thank you Cliff Rathburn for the inking perfection! And thank you in advance to all who check in tomorrow...and good luck!

Felix

Interesting I've never seen "pump and dump" applied to an artist's initial sale before. 

I'll have to read through this more closely, but claiming "false advertising" is actually an accusation that a crime has been committed. That's a weighty charge to levy. 

On 6/23/2022 at 11:51 AM, Bronty said:

Nobody has to buy any art if they don’t like the prices. 

Agreed. I don’t think that was the point of the post above. I do believe if someone is going to speak publicly about any seller whether rep, dealer, collector, reseller, etc. they should expect the same standard be applied to them. Seems fair.

We can’t keep blaming new collectors for hype and price increases if we are guilty of the same practices. 

On 6/23/2022 at 6:01 PM, Xatari said:

Agreed. I don’t think that was the point of the post above. I do believe if someone is going to speak publicly about any seller whether rep, dealer, collector, reseller, etc. they should expect the same standard be applied to them. Seems fair.

We can’t keep blaming new collectors for hype and price increases if we are guilty of the same practices. 

Maybe I missed part of the discussion , but I do find it a truism that typically those angry about prices aren’t mad about prices per se, they are mad about perceiving themselves as being priced out. 

While I can understand that disappointment no one is entitled to be able to afford what they like or I’d be reading an action 1 right now instead of these boards.   

On 6/23/2022 at 5:01 PM, Xatari said:

I don't think that's what was said during the podcast. Rather, the point was made that there is a difference between a collector and a rep or a dealer. And I think it's wrong to put all new collectors in a single group. There are always new collectors coming in, and in my experience, it's a fairly differentiated bunch of people. There are an almost infinite number of choices. Some seem to focus on first appearances (or something close to first appearances), some like specific characters or specific books, and some like Garfield (lucky for them, there's a lot of choices out there). People like what they like. 

I'm not placing blame on anyone. But, I think it's an odd choice to take a shot at an artist's rep or a dealer for marketing their business. They're up front about it. I think the point that was made was that there are individuals who hold themselves out as collectors, but in reality are really marketing whatever they've bought as dealers. The pump and dump strategy is most dangerous to newer collectors because they don't realize it's coming from an unexpected source.  

Ron

I think it would be wise to be more careful in our language in these posts - 'pump and dump' means someone is engaging in fraud via false & misleading statements. That is a heck of an accusation. I don't know Xatari. But I certainly do know Felix - and that term should not be used anywhere near his name.

Hi Ron,

I don’t think anyone is taking shots at a rep or dealer.

1. I listened the podcast and made a comment how I feel lopsided blame is being placed on new entrants and first appearance collectors. 

2. Nexus, whom I believe is Felix, publicly asked for examples of high priced modern first appearance art being offered. 

3. Another forum member provided public examples as requested.

I don’t think anyone is against Felix or any rep maximizing profit for their artists. I love when artists win as they are the reason we collect art

However, I think the argument is people in any role… dealer, collectors, reseller, etc. should not judge any sales practice without the expectation the same scrutiny be placed on their practice. If someone is contributing to the idea that flippers are the bad because of hyping/pumping and dumping to maximize profit, but engage in the same practice are they not also be culpable?  Anything less would seem disingenuous if the individual is profiting themselves in my opinion. 

I don’t flip my first appearance art except on the very rare occasions I have previously mentioned, so I don’t have a dog in this fight outside of the argument that I don’t like segments of our hobby (read first appearance collectors) being badmouthed by anyone profiting from it. My initial comment was simply that the other side of the sword isn’t being discussed. 

Hi Chris, 

if you listen to the podcast we are discussing, “pump and dump” was the term used by the two folks conversing. Should they be exempt from the standard they have placed on others? It think this is sort of the argument. If one is going to place others under scrutiny, they should expect the same standard be applied, right?

Edited by Xatari

Hey Xatari (sorry I do not know your name, would certainly use it if I knew) - I was not talking about the podcast. You said Felix 'pump & dumped Venom #25' in your post. That's a term associated with fraud. I'm guessing that you are not accusing him of fraud and were using the term too loosely. Given its association, I suggested to all people who post here that we should all be more careful in using certain terms. Fraud is a huge thing to accuse someone of, IMO.