• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

She is Luke's daughter.
Luke is Jedi. I thought their Order doesn't allow for wives/kids? (shrug) (Anakin being the rule-breaker, keeping it a secret, and all that.)

Anyway, I'm going with her being Hans/Leia's daughter. A Skywalker on her mother's side, the stashed-away twin sister.

In my mind the movie ended with Luke having to face risking his niece after already losing his nephew to the Dark Side. Will he mentor her too or refuse? There she is right in front of him, Sabre in hand, tears in her eyes, pleading...

This seems....familiar....but I can't quite place it....

hm

Maybe Star Wars is really just one big, expensive, elaborate homage to Groundhog's Day....

They could do worse. I freaking love Groundhog's Day.

OMG. The prequels could have been soooo different.

Leonardo Dicaprio turned down Anakin Skywalker role

Yeah, but it would have been the same dialog. The prequels have already ended a few acting careers (or at least tarnished them), would it have been any different with Dicaprio? Bad writing is bad writing, it is very hard to polish a turd.

So upon a 4th viewing (although I missed the end because my 4 year old go a little scared) I think the entire lightsaber scene is a flashback. Somehow they blocked Rey's memory, and, upon touching the lightsaber, her memories come flashing back. The only issue is the small bit where she faces Kylo Ren in the snow.

And I still think she is Luke's daughter.

OMG. The prequels could have been soooo different.

Leonardo Dicaprio turned down Anakin Skywalker role

Yeah, but it would have been the same dialog. The prequels have already ended a few acting careers (or at least tarnished them), would it have been any different with Dicaprio? Bad writing is bad writing, it is very hard to polish a turd.

True. He turned them down for a reason. His project decision making might be the best in Hollywood. Of course getting offered all the best roles doesn't hurt.

Taking a look, Leo was probably filming "The Beach" instead of "Phantom Menace". One of his few duds. Then instead of "Attack of the Clones" he did "Catch Me If You Can" and "Gangs of New York", both superior films. Then during "Revenge of the Sith" he was probably shooting "The Aviator" and "The Departed".

I loved Sith, the other two prequels, meh. "Departed" won best picture, "Aviator" was up for it. Overall, Leo came out ahead. He knows what he's doing, as his career arc is almost unmatched.

So upon a 4th viewing (although I missed the end because my 4 year old go a little scarred) I think the entire lightsaber scene is a flashback. Somehow they blocked Rey's memory, and, upon touching the lightsaber, her memories come flashing back. The only issue is the small bit where she faces Kylo Ren in the snow.

And I still think she is Luke's daughter.

typo or prescience?

A few observations/predictions:

First, it is already pretty much accepted fact that Snoke is Darth Plagueis. However, I noticed what may have been a subtle hint to this upon my 3rd viewing yesterday. During the bridge scene, Kylo says, "the Supreme Leader is wise." Could this be a direct reference to Palpatine referring to Plagueis as "Darth Plagueis the Wise" in Episode 3?

Second, this is way out there - I predict Rey is a descendant of Palpatine's lineage. I think Palpatine's force ghost is working through her during the mind control and light saber scenes. She was either dropped off by resistance forces on Jaaku to be forever forgotten and hopefully never discovered, or the remnants of Sidious loyalists dropped her there to later reclaim her. Also, I know this sounds crazy - but her light saber style is almost identical to Sidious' style when he's fighting Windu and Yoda. I'm serious - watch this again with an open mind.

Fanboys are irrational.

Love, hate, love, hate.

It's art folks - either love the art or hate the art. But it's his art.

I agree with this more than I disagree (I leave room for classic criticism).

Palpatine is my favorite SW character. I see the films as his story.

You need to read (or listen to) the Darth Plagueis novel, even though it's not "canon" (but it was written by Lucano, who wrote Tarkin, which is canon).

The Darth Plagueis novel might as well be called "The Rise of Palpatine". (thumbs u

You need to read (or listen to) the Darth Plagueis novel, even though it's not "canon" (but it was written by Lucano, who wrote Tarkin, which is canon).

The Darth Plagueis novel might as well be called "The Rise of Palpatine". (thumbs u

I'm still holding out hope for a Dark Empire type storyline.

Zahn influence would be fine with me.

Those stories are post-ROTJ, though.

The (2012) Darth Plagueis novel is based pre-Episode I through around pre-Episode III and fills a nice missing piece for young Palpatine, where did Maul come from, who was Darth Plagueis, etc.

Zahn influence would be fine with me.

Those stories are post-ROTJ, though.

The (2012) Darth Plagueis novel is based pre-Episode I through around pre-Episode III and fills a nice missing piece for young Palpatine, where did Maul come from, who was Darth Plagueis, etc.

Not that I'm not happy with what we got, but I would have LOVED a Zahn movie. Those books were pretty solid.

We just saw it.

I'm a huge fan of the Expanded Universe that sprung from the original trilogy. Since the Marvel Movies started improving, I've trained myself to accept the updated versions of anything I grew up loving (i.e. super-heroes), so I figured I was ready for these new films.

As a Space Fantasy Action/Adventure, it's a great film.

As the next chapter in this epic saga, I'm greatly disappointed.

Rey and Fin reacted far stronger to Han's death than Chewie or Leia did.

One thing I noticed when speaking to casual SW fans is that they always seemed confused when I would talk about the storylines from the novels because they thought, "didn't they defeat the Empire?", not keeping in mind that the Empire was made up of millions of loyalists. I imagine there were some confused viewers.

This film was like, "By the way, our heroes still had to struggle for decades, Han and Leia didn't stay together, but had a kid (just the one- fail) who was strong in the Force, but Luke failed in his training and lost him to the Dark Side where he joins with someone called Snoke. All caught up? Good.

It seemed they relied too much on the viewer to be able to fill in the gaps, thus removing any obligation on their part to build a new universe of stories and characters with history.

And Rey and Fin able to stand toe to toe with a Skywalker-trained Kylo Ren? Major FAIL.

And Rey and Fin able to stand toe to toe with a Skywalker-trained Kylo Ren? Major FAIL.

That bothered me as well, but after rewatching I realized I missed the part where he was hit by Chewies bowcaster and didn't understand the crazy nature of his injuries.

This explains why he was beat fairly well and it is very obvious now