• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens SPOILER Discussion

1,010 posts in this topic

It makes more sense to me that Rey would be Han's daughter than it would Luke's. Rey could have been left behind intentionally by Han and Leia because they didn't want her to find her "powers" that possibly would have made her like her older brother.

And Solo was eager to take on a new "co-captain" -- totally out of his character unless there is a 'reason' for him wanting her around.

It makes more sense to me that Rey would be Han's daughter than it would Luke's. Rey could have been left behind intentionally by Han and Leia because they didn't want her to find her "powers" that possibly would have made her like her older brother.

And Solo was eager to take on a new "co-captain" -- totally out of his character unless there is a 'reason' for him wanting her around.

Twins do run in families...

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but was there significance to the older gentleman on Jakku that provided the missing piece of the map? Who was he? I'm afraid I'm not up to speed on my Star Wars canon. Should I recognize him?

Given that the entire First Order wanted him dead, I'm not seeing what makes him a deadbeat. ??? Had they found him, they would have slaughtered her, too.

The Luke Skywalker I knew, the destroyer of the Death Star and one of the heroes of the Battle of Endor, would not have gone and become a hermit while the First Order was coming to power.

I agree with this. This dude walked into Jabba's palace, and then walked into the powerbase of his enemy, Palpatine and Vader (the former being the greatest of the Sith ever by most literature of the time).

That's why I wondered if he had been somehow negated. I see no reason why he wouldn't just engage Kylo himself and have rendered him no longer a threat. The Kylo we saw in this movie could not stand against the Luke we know, and neither could Kylo and his troops. Snoke didn't seem to want any part.

Luke would be incredibly formidable, barring something is stopping him.

Let's not forget he's older and could possibly be not as strong as he once was.

Also the impression I got was that Kylo was new guy in the first order.

He still didn't have a big reputation like Vader did from the get go in SW (4).

Maybe Luke is about to deal with the first order now and that's what the movies are about.

:sumo:

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but was there significance to the older gentleman on Jakku that provided the missing piece of the map? Who was he? I'm afraid I'm not up to speed on my Star Wars canon. Should I recognize him?

No you shouldn't.

He's a guy who is a member of the Church of the Force, which were basically non-force users who held faith in the Jedi even as the Empire tried to erase/discredit them in history. He retired on Jakku, after being an explorer and ally of the Republic/Resistance.

Leading up to the film a lot of people were thinking he'd be a good candidate for being an aged known character, perhaps from the Rebels tv show. I kind of think all of them are dying though.

Han would want to have her around to replace the void he felt in losing his son.

Han would want to have her around to replace the void he felt in losing his son.

Plus, would him wanting her around being his niece be so strange? It works either way.

No you shouldn't.

He's a guy who is a member of the Church of the Force, which were basically non-force users who held faith in the Jedi even as the Empire tried to erase/discredit them in history. He retired on Jakku, after being an explorer and ally of the Republic/Resistance.

Leading up to the film a lot of people were thinking he'd be a good candidate for being an aged known character, perhaps from the Rebels tv show. I kind of think all of them are dying though.

Thanks! Good to know the background of the character. Glad it wasn't someone obvious that I was simply not guessing.

Wouldn't Kylo have said to her youre my sister, join me during that close up fight scene

Also I know everyone loved Adam Driver but for me when he took of his mask I thought I was watching an episode of Girls. He kinda killed it for me without the helmet.

Because he was in HBO's girls is the reason I was so excited for him to be in this trilogy.

Adam Driver will be stealing the show in Episode 8.

I think Kylo taking off his Helmet so quickly makes perfect sense which is the opposite of what Vader did. Vader had to die for that to happen.

This film is what I call a "Chinese food" movie (the James Bond film Skyfall is another I would put in this category). Tastes pretty good going down (while you're watching it), but doesn't really have enough substance to leave you satisfied for very long and doesn't hold up well to scrutiny. It was a visually sumptuous feast, but the plot was thin gruel and the storyline was so derivative that it was practically a remake. Rey is the new Luke. Jakku is the new Tatoonine. BB8 is the new R2D2 (seriously, another hidden hologram message?) Poe is the new Wedge. Kylo is the new Anakin/Vader. Snoke is the new Emperor. Starkiller Base is the new Death Star (I'm with you, Marmat. I mean, FFS - YET ANOTHER ONE??? :mad:), the Resistance is the new Rebellion, the First Order is the new Empire, there's also a new Mos Eisley Cantina rip-off and Yavin clone that houses the Rebellion. At some point it's no longer homage and just plain lazy writing that doesn't take any chances. Kind of like when I heard the Bon Jovi album "New Jersey" for the first time back in the '80s - it was practically a song-for-song rip-off off their previous album "Slippery When Wet". That's how I felt about this film.

I was expecting to be greatly saddened by Han's death, but it was so obviously telegraphed, and by that point I was getting pretty annoyed by the whole movie, that it didn't really make a huge impact on me. And, yeah - Kylo sans helmet is just Adam from Girls in a goofy outfit. I also wish John Boyega had used his English accent, because he sounded annoyingly like a generic American Millennial to me in the film.

On the plus side, the visuals are just spectacular. And the actress who played Rey was quite good (though the way her character could do anything and everything first time from expertly fixing and flying a spaceship to wielding a lightsaber stretched the limits of credulity).

I didn't hate it, but I think they really need to throw the cookie-cutter away and give us an original film for the next installment. As gorgeous as the cinematography was, I liked this movie better the first time around when I saw it in 1977.

I am going to yell at you next time I see you. :baiting:

You are supposed to understand some of the questions you have from being in the hobby.

Plus I should I have stopped reading once you said you didn't like Skyfall. :frustrated:

In bold you are not thinking as a studio. They did exactly the correct move.

Everything going forward will be brand new. So cheer up. (thumbs u

oh, I forgot, one of the reasons I didn't liked the movie that much, is the third Death Star/planet destruction.

After all those years, they were not able to create a different menace? Come on

The film is good, very watcheable, but I was expecting much more.

it is pretty clear now that magic that surrounded the original trilogy will never be achieved again

No :censored:(shrug)

You have very unrealistic expectations.

You mean a 72 year old Han Solo (who was great btw for his age) wouldn't have the same magic as his 40 year old self. Geee that is shocking. :eyeroll:

If you think 2 out of the 3 prequels movies were good from your previous post than The Force Awakens should be god damn oscar worthy in your eyes.

I don't understand how anyone with half brain would assume any SW movie after 1983 will have magic with that same original cast again.

I can be open with someone saying Episode 7 wasn't as good as they wanted it to be. What I cannot take as an opinion is saying there needed to be more magic with the original cast.

It just seems to be (which is kinda predictable actually) that the 80's babies and younger think Episode 7 was :headbang: and the over 40+ think it was good, but annoyed it mirrored New Hope too much. Granted by in large this movie well well received and put the movie franchise back on the tracks for many years to come.

When I think Star Wars I think being in the late 80's watching them on VHS so most of my friends never were able to see the original trilogy in the theater.

Not once did I ever want to go see any of those terrible prequel movies a 2nd time in the theater. The Force Awakens I am dying to now see it for a 3rd time.

I would rather watch Episode VII going forward over Episode IV. Of course I love New Hope but for me The Force Awakens is the 3rd best SW film of all time.

You know Disney's knows we all think Rey is Luke's daughter so that is exactly why she wont be. (shrug)

As I left the movie Christmas night with my wife and son we were walking behind an elderly couple that had to be in their mid 80's. I told my son that was cool to see them as they were probably 40ish when the original came out.

Leroy's right on here; it seems like there's a familiarity with the characters that has a broad appeal among age groups. We're taking my 75 year old mother to see it (at her request) at the STL Science Center 2D Omnimax, which is as far as I can tell, about as good a presentation of the film as is possible. She can't wait, and we're really excited for her. She took me to see Empire in 1980, Star Wars in rerelease in 1982, and Jedi in 1983. Turnabout is fair play.

Twins do run in families...

Rey is 10 years younger than Ben ...

It just seems to be (which is kinda predictable actually) that the 80's babies and younger think Episode 7 was :headbang: and the over 40+ think it was good, but annoyed it mirrored New Hope too much. Granted by in large this movie well well received and put the movie franchise back on the tracks for many years to come.

When I think Star Wars I think being in the late 80's watching them on VHS so most of my friends never were able to see the original trilogy in the theater.

Not once did I ever want to go see any of those terrible prequel movies a 2nd time in the theater. The Force Awakens I am dying to now see it for a 3rd time.

I would rather watch Episode VII going forward over Episode IV. Of course I love New Hope but for me The Force Awakens is the 3rd best SW film of all time.

You know Disney's knows we all think Rey is Luke's daughter so that is exactly why she wont be. (shrug)

It's not just 40 somethings. Lots of younger people watched the first six movies before going to see The Force Awakens. Half a dozen 20 somethings that work at my dentists office all watched the original films before going to theater. My son - 23 - first words out of the theater is that it was far too much like the first movie.

And it was. Far too much like the first movie. It was a distraction. I enjoyed it overall, but I won't watch it again. Maybe on video a week before the next comes out.

It's not just 40 somethings. Lots of younger people watched the first six movies before going to see The Force Awakens. Half a dozen 20 somethings that work at my dentists office all watched the original films before going to theater. My son - 23 - first words out of the theater is that it was far too much like the first movie.

And it was. Far too much like the first movie. It was a distraction. I enjoyed it overall, but I won't watch it again. Maybe on video a week before the next comes out.

I think this movie was aimed more at the casual Star Wars fans. My wife and two kids loved it. I also was distracted by the similarities to ANH. This movie would have been terrific, if I had never seen ANH. But, as it is, I think it is a decent movie. The new stuff, mostly the Jakku situation and the point of view of a Stormtrooper, was the best part of the movie IMHO. They hinted at something new with Snoke and the Knights of Ren and I think it would be cool if no Sith were involved in this trilogy. I appreciate a Jedi light movie after all the Jedi heavy stories that we've seen since TPM.

Confession time, I loved the OT and PT movies! And TFA, while not the best Star Wars movie, will be just as beloved by me. All the movies have flaws, except ANH and ESB, and this one was no different.

I'm hoping for more meat in the next movie. I don't begrudge Disney for making this movie. It probably did need to happen to get everyone caught up on the current predicament of the OT heroes. I'm now ready to move on and see something new explored.

:facepalm:

What? That would explain why Han had no idea who she was? Why Leia embraced her for so long... And it still makes the Star Wars trilogy all about the Skywalkers! lol

Maybe Leia could sense how Rey felt about Han(father figure) and that's why they embraced at the end of the film. They both lost someone dear to them.

I think this movie was aimed more at the casual Star Wars fans. My wife and two kids loved it. I also was distracted by the similarities to ANH. This movie would have been terrific, if I had never seen ANH. But, as it is, I think it is a decent movie. The new stuff, mostly the Jakku situation and the point of view of a Stormtrooper, was the best part of the movie IMHO. They hinted at something new with Snoke and the Knights of Ren and I think it would be cool if no Sith were involved in this trilogy. I appreciate a Jedi light movie after all the Jedi heavy stories that we've seen since TPM.

Confession time, I loved the OT and PT movies! And TFA, while not the best Star Wars movie, will be just as beloved by me. All the movies have flaws, except ANH and ESB, and this one was no different.

I'm hoping for more meat in the next movie. I don't begrudge Disney for making this movie. It probably did need to happen to get everyone caught up on the current predicament of the OT heroes. I'm now ready to move on and see something new explored.

let's hope so but here's one opinion on why it's unlikely

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-star-wars-the-force-awakens-stinks-20151226-column.html