• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody help me understand this wedding present?

243 posts in this topic

Have you not read the postings from Megan?

She has already clearly stated that her uncle is a serious comic collector with what her father thinks would amount to a very valuable comic book collection. This book was not chosen at random as it was specifically selected since this was her father's favorite character when the 2 brothers were growing up and collecting comics together.

Yes, he gave the book away to someone who knows very little about comics. But I think he left enough clues in his message and knew that her niece would be the type of person who would be smart enough not to sell the book to the first person that offer her more than cover price for it. She definitely sounds like the type of person that would do her research before making a rushed and unthinking decision.

From the tone of the message, it would appeared that her father passed away within the current year. This gift was chosen because it would have meant a lot to her father and now it was being passed down to her because she would not only appreciate the sentimental value of the book, but also be smart enough to figure out the economic value of it going forward. It is obvious that she does value the book based upon her research and due diligence which she is conducting.

He just didn't give the book away to a complete stranger. He gave the book away to the daughter of his beloved brother who had most probably just passed away recently and who was close enough to ask him to walk her down the aisle. This is not the type of person who warrants just a card and $100 like what some posters are suggesting. This warrants a very sincere and thoughtful gift which is exactly what this was.

Yes, although the book is a very special book and relatively valuable, it would also appear to be just one of possibly many others that the uncle has in his collection. So, although the book should mean a lot to the daughter, it is probably just a drop in the bucket for the uncle if he is a serious comic book collector. After all, this is not an Action 1 or a AF 15 which we are talking about here. hm

Okay Lou. But reading her posts at no time do I get the impression that she values this comic for anything other than what it might be "worth". After all, she's not buying up Marvel Masterworks books to learn everything she can about the Fantastic Four. She's not inquiring about the history of Adam Warlock and in which other comics he might have appeared. Her inquiry is simply about the dollars and cents.

(shrug)

Have you not read the postings from Megan?

She has already clearly stated that her uncle is a serious comic collector with what her father thinks would amount to a very valuable comic book collection. This book was not chosen at random as it was specifically selected since this was her father's favorite character when the 2 brothers were growing up and collecting comics together.

Yes, he gave the book away to someone who knows very little about comics. But I think he left enough clues in his message and knew that her niece would be the type of person who would be smart enough not to sell the book to the first person that offer her more than cover price for it. She definitely sounds like the type of person that would do her research before making a rushed and unthinking decision.

From the tone of the message, it would appeared that her father passed away within the current year. This gift was chosen because it would have meant a lot to her father and now it was being passed down to her because she would not only appreciate the sentimental value of the book, but also be smart enough to figure out the economic value of it going forward. It is obvious that she does value the book based upon her research and due diligence which she is conducting.

He just didn't give the book away to a complete stranger. He gave the book away to the daughter of his beloved brother who had most probably just passed away recently and who was close enough to ask him to walk her down the aisle. This is not the type of person who warrants just a card and $100 like what some posters are suggesting. This warrants a very sincere and thoughtful gift which is exactly what this was.

Yes, although the book is a very special book and relatively valuable, it would also appear to be just one of possibly many others that the uncle has in his collection. So, although the book should mean a lot to the daughter, it is probably just a drop in the bucket for the uncle if he is a serious comic book collector. After all, this is not an Action 1 or a AF 15 which we are talking about here. hm

Okay Lou. But reading her posts at no time do I get the impression that she values this comic for anything other than what it might be "worth". After all, she's not buying up Marvel Masterworks books to learn everything she can about the Fantastic Four. She's not inquiring about the history of Adam Warlock and in which other comics he might have appeared. Her inquiry is simply about the dollars and cents.

(shrug)

Which makes perfect sense for someone who isn't a collector. If I received a graded coin and someone gave it to me and I didn't know much about it (nor do I care about collecting coins), I'd only be interested in the value.

You guys will debate anything.

It's a simple case of person comes here looking for help. Why is that so hard to understand?

Which makes perfect sense for someone who isn't a collector. If I received a graded coin and someone gave it to me and I didn't know much about it (nor do I care about collecting coins), I'd only be interested in the value.

Well if you're asking me to empathize, you've come to the wrong place. I'm not "blessed" with this empathy thing for people who are just in it for the money.

It's a simple case of person comes here looking for help. Why is that so hard to understand?

Because in any potential transaction there's a choice as to which party to help. It's a simple case that some of us, including myself, would rather be of help to the collector, i.e. the buyer. Why is that so hard to understand?

That's why they call these discussion forums. Sometimes though we just talk about our collections here in Silver. Do a search. Oh, and incidentally I see you doing more of the debating than just talking about collecting here in Silver.

Treat people with respect and assume they are telling the truth until you have reason to otherwise. Its ok to have a higher level of scrutiny if someone was trying to sell you something, which this person never was.

At best what we have here is a situation where a non-comic book fan who doesn't particularly care about comic mags or the Fantastic Four let alone Fantastic Four 67 has come to this forum to get a feel for what this comic might be "worth", i.e. what she can get for it. And we've all seen this type of situation previously, people whose only interest in a comic or other collectible is the dollars and cents aspect. They look at a comic or collection and their curiosity and aesthetic commentary extends no further than "What is this thing/stuff worth?"

Well truthfully I don't feel any particular need to help these people maximize their take. I'd actually prefer that someone who appreciates the comic or whatever object aesthetically, meaning a collector, benefitted in the form of obtaining the collectible at a more affordable price. After all, it's the collector who appreciates the comic for what it is.

Yet some forum members gave her some very useful information with respect to what she might realize for the comic. She should have happily cut and run. After all, given her subsequent comments about comic fans, I'd say that's a lot better than she deserved.

:eyeroll:

As per the usual around here, you have not closely red or understood what she said. She didn't have subsequent comments about comic fans...she had subsequent comments for those who questioned her integrity, without good cause.

As for the rest of what you've said here...that you would have preferred the comic go to a "person who appreciates the comic aesthetically, meaning a collector"...how do you think collectors are made? Exposure to comic books. Does it matter the form of the exposure? Not really.

You have, as far too many around here do, internalized her comments and taken them personally, thus becoming offended, when nothing offensive was said to you, or to "comic fans" in general. That's a grand waste of time.

Well if you're asking me to empathize, you've come to the wrong place. I'm not "blessed" with this empathy thing for people who are just in it for the money.

Because in any potential transaction there's a choice as to which party to help. It's a simple case that some of us, including myself, would rather be of help to the collector, i.e. the buyer. Why is that so hard to understand?

That's why they call these discussion forums. Sometimes though we just talk about our collections here in Silver. Do a search. Oh, and incidentally I see you doing more of the debating than just talking about collecting here in Silver.

Wow, in this situation you are taking sides for who to help?

Discussion over. I can't debate crazy.

As per the usual around here, you have not closely red or understood what she said. She didn't have subsequent comments about comic fans...she had subsequent comments for those who questioned her integrity, without good cause.

1. I disagree. There was good cause. It would be bizarre for someone who treasures an object to give said object away to someone who does not. I will grant you though that strange things do happen in this world, but nonetheless I'd say there was "cause".

2. But in making those comments about those who questioned the credibility of her post, she effectively admitted to stereotyping comic book collectors:

To the other ones, I mean, I'd lambast you for perpetuating the stereotype us muggles conjure up when we think of comic book collectors, but I don't want to start a fight.

You have, as far too many around here do, internalized her comments and taken them personally, thus becoming offended, when nothing offensive was said to you, or to "comic fans" in general.

Or perhaps some of us were taking the side of these "socially deficient" IT guys, who are perhaps exasperated at being forced to deal with stuck-up airheads at work?

To those who weren't (I don't feel a need to name you, you know who you are), again, I'd lecture you on social skills, but I manage and deal with salty and socially deficient IT guys on a daily basis, so I'm used to it and just long ago learned to treat it for what it is and pay it little heed. I never figured any of you sorts to be men and own up to your faulty assaults, so the doubling down is of no surprise to me.

You know, the kind of airheads who think of people who value education as having "hangups":

He's not being real forthright with information because he's got this hangup about people educating themselves about things.

Or perhaps there's only so much valley girl talk sprinkled with sarcasm that some of us can stomach?

And I get that I'm just a girl so clearly I must not be so good with the thinkin' and am scared of big bad things like BBCode forums cause technology is hard to work with as I'm sitting in the kitchen waitin' on my big strong man to come teach me how to do things like embed an image.... And I'm so-terribly sorry that I referred to one of your characters as "the purple guy" instead of memorizing the names of all (approximately) 300 million characters in comic books during the course of my very brief period of reading up on things after Google searches and simply defaulted to a description of that guy (and I still don't feel like looking up the name to say it now, so bash me some more on that while you're at it). I acknowledged right away that I was the least knowledgeable person here and only know the names of a handful of characters, but I'm sure this further acknowledgement that you know a name I don't cements your feeling of superiority.

Excuse me but for many reasons she's among the last people with whom I'd share information. You may see her as a sympathetic person, but I certainly do not.

:makepoint:

Wow, in this situation you are taking sides for who to help?

Discussion over. I can't debate crazy.

Given that the buyer and the seller have diametrically opposed interests, you can't help both. (It's why people with conflicts hire separate lawyers.) Is that somehow too difficult a concept for you to understand?

???

1. I disagree. There was good cause. It would be bizarre for someone who treasures an object to give said object away to someone who does not. I will grant you though that strange things do happen in this world, but nonetheless I'd say there was "cause".

So, because a situation is abnormal, that's good cause to question her integrity...?

That's an odd set of standards.

2. But in making those comments about those who questioned the credibility of her post, she effectively admitted to stereotyping comic book collectors:

To the other ones, I mean, I'd lambast you for perpetuating the stereotype us muggles conjure up when we think of comic book collectors, but I don't want to start a fight.

She was being funny. Note the use of the word "muggles." Note the use of the word "stereotype."

If you choose to be offended by a joke about stereotypes, that's really unfortunate.

You have, as far too many around here do, internalized her comments and taken them personally, thus becoming offended, when nothing offensive was said to you, or to "comic fans" in general.

Or perhaps some of us were taking the side of these "socially deficient" IT guys, who are perhaps exasperated at being forced to deal with stuck-up airheads at work?

You know, the kind of airheads who think of people who value education as having "hangups":

Again, you've chosen to take personally that which was not personal. You have internalized a comment that had absolutely nothing to do with you, and taken it personally, and as a result, lashed out personally in reply.

He's not being real forthright with information because he's got this hangup about people educating themselves about things.

Or perhaps there's only so much valley girl talk sprinkled with sarcasm that some of us can stomach?

So, because someone doesn't write the way you think they should, that makes it ok to internalize general comments, take them personally, and then reply personally, taking shots directly at someone, because they made general comments (and, mostly tongue-in-cheek as well) that had nothing to do with you personally?

You're making my point.

So, because a situation is abnormal, that's good cause to question her integrity...?

No, but it's good cause to question the situation. You're the one who introduced the concept of "integrity".

She was being funny. Note the use of the word "muggles."

Oh I did! In fact I had to look it up.

lol

Note the use of the word "stereotype."

Oh I did. I also noted that she introduced the concept.

If you choose to be offended by a joke about stereotypes, that's really unfortunate.

I've been accused of worse.

Again, you've chosen to take personally that which was not personal. You have internalized a comment that had absolutely nothing to do with you, and taken it personally, and as a result, lashed out personally in reply.

You don't see her as betraying the attitude of smug superiority in her ignorance? And not just to comic fans, but to anyone with expertise/interests outside of whatever her own happen to be?

So, because someone doesn't write the way you think they should, that makes it ok to internalize general comments, take them personally, and then reply personally, taking shots directly at someone, because they made general comments (and, mostly tongue-in-cheek as well) that had nothing to do with you personally?

You're making my point.

Not that it's a point worth making. There's good reason to at least be annoyed with this girl.

Here an individual admittedly disinterested in comics came here seeking info on how much she might be able to get for a comic. (Truthfully I'm never kindly predisposed to such inquiries. II suppose it's a personal prejudice of mine.) Some posters were actually kind enough to provide her with some very good information. She should have said "Thank you" and gone away. But no, she still felt compelled to respond with sarcasm to those who with good reason had questioned her account. What the hell?

(tsk)

Thank you for the helpful replies. To the other ones, I mean, I'd lambast you for perpetuating the stereotype us muggles conjure up when we think of comic book collectors, but I don't want to start a fight. You guys have information that I don't, and I'd like to acquire it is all. Try being nice.

OK, so it's one character in the book, not 2 like I thought. When I type Adam Warlock instead of just Warlock, I get all sorts of data points. So this character is going to be in the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and fight the purple dude that everybody keeps betraying in all the other Marvel movies? If that's the case (and the sites I went to indicate it hasn't been announced yet and it's all rumor), would the book have more value AFTER he does his movie thing, then? Cause right now, it's just maybe he'll be in movies, yes? Reading some of the sites about Adam Warlock, he seems like kind of a big deal to your hobby.

Somebody said the Twin Cities thing made it more valuable than the other books like it. How much more? And what's the premium, if any, for this one apparently being the nicest copy in all the world? And, should I eventually decide to sell it, who should I give it to to handle the auction? This doesn't seem like something I should just throw on eBay or try to handle myself, because I just don't know enough about it. So no, I'm not trying to sell it to you guys. All I really know is I took it into a local comic book store and the guy offered me $500 for it, but I could tell by the way his hands were shaking and how he was looking at it and avoiding eye contact with me that he was trying to take advantage of me, so I'm not down with doing that.

JGEq1g8.jpg

TQIDoJy.jpg

Megan,

This is very special - a very Merry Christmas and wedding may you have. Thank you for sharing with us. (thumbs u:applause: