• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can somebody help me understand this wedding present?

243 posts in this topic

Wow....now that is a wedding gift I would have loved to receive!

I have not had much time to read or post on the boards lately....I have been too busy trying to reach my goal for the 1000 comics in 2015 club! :headbang: But I see nothing has changed around here......same type of post from the same posters!

I do enjoy this place and wish everyone a Merry Christmas this coming week!!

I think I've largely got most of the data I need for now. There are still some things I'm fuzzy on, but if at this point nobody has spoken up with that information, it seems unlikely I'll be able to obtain it. To those who were helpful to me (Peter, Minisink, W16, Rob React, Crimebuster, Mark1, TheDude, Lazyboy, anyone else I might have missed), I genuinely thank you. It's been enlightening, and I doubt I would have been able to figure out things like a fair present value without your aid. You've been immensely helpful.

To those who weren't (I don't feel a need to name you, you know who you are), again, I'd lecture you on social skills, but I manage and deal with salty and socially deficient IT guys on a daily basis, so I'm used to it and just long ago learned to treat it for what it is and pay it little heed. I never figured any of you sorts to be men and own up to your faulty assaults, so the doubling down is of no surprise to me.

I will, however, in passing point out that the name of this forum is "Silver Comics", and I just wanted to make sure I had chosen the right forum (I thought there was an outside chance it might be a "Copper" book), so sorry I didn't know I had to call it "Silver age comics" instead. If you're that particular, perhaps petition to have the forum name changed. And I get that I'm just a girl so clearly I must not be so good with the thinkin' and am scared of big bad things like BBCode forums cause technology is hard to work with as I'm sitting in the kitchen waitin' on my big strong man to come teach me how to do things like embed an image, but for as unintuitive you think this board is, it's a breeze compared to BoardGameGeek. Spend some time over on BGG and you'll learn what lack of intuitive controls are. And I'm so-terribly sorry that I referred to one of your characters as "the purple guy" instead of memorizing the names of all (approximately) 300 million characters in comic books during the course of my very brief period of reading up on things after Google searches and simply defaulted to a description of that guy (and I still don't feel like looking up the name to say it now, so bash me some more on that while you're at it). I acknowledged right away that I was the least knowledgeable person here and only know the names of a handful of characters, but I'm sure this further acknowledgement that you know a name I don't cements your feeling of superiority.

Paul - I don't know the story of how my uncle came to have it, or even when he came into this book. I'm planning on making a point to ask him when I see him on Christmas. Perhaps I'll message you directly once I know the tale and tell you. I do know he's an huge collector of this stuff (he built a giant panic room section onto his house that he keeps all this stuff tucked away in, and my dad used to say his collection was worth a large fortune), so it's entirely possible he's going to see this thread if my experience here was not typical, because he does not suffer fools gladly and I doubt he'd tolerate some of the more vocal attitudes I experienced if it's the norm. Hopefully he looks at it with bemusement.

Anyhow, this all has given me a lot to think about. I don't need the money, and his card (I think) intimated that he thinks that in time it'll be more valuable if I'm patient, so I might just put it in a safe deposit box and wait and see. He's crazy brilliant, worth trusting the opinion of. And I looked at that Heritage site and it looks like they take a HUGE piece of vig, so I'll have to see about negotiating a rate with them if this really is as important as some here have said.

Welcome to the boards, Megan. If you don't need the money, I'd certainly want to keep it as a remembrance of a special event. It will be there if you do need to sell it later, which will hopefully not happen.

I'm happy to see another female post, we have so few.

I'm a little surprised to see you use the term "vig" unless you are a little older than we are guessing, or from Bklyn;) In any case, that's a sweet present and obviously a thoughtful one.

I would have loved a gift like that, much more meaningful than all of the candlesticks and crock-pots;)

I think I've largely got most of the data I need for now. There are still some things I'm fuzzy on, but if at this point nobody has spoken up with that information, it seems unlikely I'll be able to obtain it. To those who were helpful to me (Peter, Minisink, W16, Rob React, Crimebuster, Mark1, TheDude, Lazyboy, anyone else I might have missed), I genuinely thank you. It's been enlightening, and I doubt I would have been able to figure out things like a fair present value without your aid. You've been immensely helpful.

To those who weren't (I don't feel a need to name you, you know who you are), again, I'd lecture you on social skills, but I manage and deal with salty and socially deficient IT guys on a daily basis, so I'm used to it and just long ago learned to treat it for what it is and pay it little heed. I never figured any of you sorts to be men and own up to your faulty assaults, so the doubling down is of no surprise to me.

I will, however, in passing point out that the name of this forum is "Silver Comics", and I just wanted to make sure I had chosen the right forum (I thought there was an outside chance it might be a "Copper" book), so sorry I didn't know I had to call it "Silver age comics" instead. If you're that particular, perhaps petition to have the forum name changed. And I get that I'm just a girl so clearly I must not be so good with the thinkin' and am scared of big bad things like BBCode forums cause technology is hard to work with as I'm sitting in the kitchen waitin' on my big strong man to come teach me how to do things like embed an image, but for as unintuitive you think this board is, it's a breeze compared to BoardGameGeek. Spend some time over on BGG and you'll learn what lack of intuitive controls are. And I'm so-terribly sorry that I referred to one of your characters as "the purple guy" instead of memorizing the names of all (approximately) 300 million characters in comic books during the course of my very brief period of reading up on things after Google searches and simply defaulted to a description of that guy (and I still don't feel like looking up the name to say it now, so bash me some more on that while you're at it). I acknowledged right away that I was the least knowledgeable person here and only know the names of a handful of characters, but I'm sure this further acknowledgement that you know a name I don't cements your feeling of superiority.

Paul - I don't know the story of how my uncle came to have it, or even when he came into this book. I'm planning on making a point to ask him when I see him on Christmas. Perhaps I'll message you directly once I know the tale and tell you. I do know he's an huge collector of this stuff (he built a giant panic room section onto his house that he keeps all this stuff tucked away in, and my dad used to say his collection was worth a large fortune), so it's entirely possible he's going to see this thread if my experience here was not typical, because he does not suffer fools gladly and I doubt he'd tolerate some of the more vocal attitudes I experienced if it's the norm. Hopefully he looks at it with bemusement.

Anyhow, this all has given me a lot to think about. I don't need the money, and his card (I think) intimated that he thinks that in time it'll be more valuable if I'm patient, so I might just put it in a safe deposit box and wait and see. He's crazy brilliant, worth trusting the opinion of. And I looked at that Heritage site and it looks like they take a HUGE piece of vig, so I'll have to see about negotiating a rate with them if this really is as important as some here have said.

Welcome to the boards, Megan. If you don't need the money, I'd certainly want to keep it as a remembrance of a special event. It will be there if you do need to sell it later, which will hopefully not happen.

I'm a little surprised to see you use the term "vig" unless you are a little older than we are guessing, or from Bklyn;) In any case, that's a sweet present and obviously a thoughtful one.

I would have loved a gift like that, much more meaningful than all of the candlesticks and crock-pots;)

:applause:

^^

:baiting: some could learn from this post. You gather more bees with honey...

:applause:

^^

:baiting: some could learn from this post. You gather more bees with honey...

skypinkblu :cloud9: ....."This world was never meant for one as beautiful as you.... :foryou: " GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Heh, I like you.

Very unusual story but it all seems to jive for me. Obviously your uncle loves comic books and gave an unusual gift that you could appreciate as he does or sold off at any point.

Perhaps you could steer him here, sounds like he loves comics like us.

Now THAT is a great post.

Hmmmm, Something like this comic would not show up at your neighbourhood Wal-Mart. Therefore the person (the uncle) who bought this originally would have had to know where to search for a comic of this sort and would have had to be wiling to shell out some serious dollars for it. He would therefore have had to be a serious comic fan. From this I'd conclude that to him the utility of possessing this comic would be high.

Yet this uncle ostensibly gave away this comic to someone who knows very little about comics. The utility of possessing this comic would to the person receiving it be negligible.

That just doesn't make sense. Why would someone who treasures an article give said article away to someone who has next to no interest in it and therefore doesn't value it? From a utility standpoint this is tough to understand.

(shrug)

Hmmmm, Something like this comic would not show up at your neighbourhood Wal-Mart. Therefore the person (the uncle) who bought this originally would have had to know where to search for a comic of this sort and would have had to be wiling to shell out some serious dollars for it. He would therefore have had to be a serious comic fan. From this I'd conclude that to him the utility of possessing this comic would be high.

Yet this uncle ostensibly gave away this comic to someone who knows very little about comics. The utility of possessing this comic would to the person receiving it be negligible.

That just doesn't make sense. Why would someone who treasures an article give said article away to someone who has next to no interest in it and therefore doesn't value it? From a utility standpoint this is tough to understand.

(shrug)

First - I love the word "utility" and its use in this post. :applause:

Second - a whole bunch of "poof" went on here not that long ago treading along this topic (different line of logic, but similar conclusion).

Third - :applause:

Have a nice day in the hobby!

Yeah, I see.

who gives someone a ultra high grade silver age FF book as a gift and says do research.. for all he knows he throws it away, breaks it open or sells it someone for pennys....

I also see that the original poster did herself no favors with the snippy (to put it kindly) responses to those who were sceptical and questioned her credibility.

:preach:

Not that it matters but I didnt find this story that hard to believe (at least outside my top 100 cool but true stories I have personal experience with) . An 8k wedding gift from a close relative walking someone down the aisle isnt at all in realm of "absurd".

Thread has exposed some seriously jaded, defensive, grizzled vets who have seen so many scams in their day that they forgot a basic rule. Treat people with respect and assume they are telling the truth until you have reason to otherwise. Its ok to have a higher level of scrutiny if someone was trying to sell you something, which this person never was.

I haven't read the thread, but this all over :applause: It does not surprise me in the least.

(shrug)

8K can make for a lot of "utility". :)

(shrug)

Have you not read the postings from Megan?

She has already clearly stated that her uncle is a serious comic collector with what her father thinks would amount to a very valuable comic book collection. This book was not chosen at random as it was specifically selected since this was her father's favorite character when the 2 brothers were growing up and collecting comics together.

Yes, he gave the book away to someone who knows very little about comics. But I think he left enough clues in his message and knew that her niece would be the type of person who would be smart enough not to sell the book to the first person that offer her more than cover price for it. She definitely sounds like the type of person that would do her research before making a rushed and unthinking decision.

From the tone of the message, it would appeared that her father passed away within the current year. This gift was chosen because it would have meant a lot to her father and now it was being passed down to her because she would not only appreciate the sentimental value of the book, but also be smart enough to figure out the economic value of it going forward. It is obvious that she does value the book based upon her research and due diligence which she is conducting.

He just didn't give the book away to a complete stranger. He gave the book away to the daughter of his beloved brother who had most probably just passed away recently and who was close enough to ask him to walk her down the aisle. This is not the type of person who warrants just a card and $100 like what some posters are suggesting. This warrants a very sincere and thoughtful gift which is exactly what this was.

Yes, although the book is a very special book and relatively valuable, it would also appear to be just one of possibly many others that the uncle has in his collection. So, although the book should mean a lot to the daughter, it is probably just a drop in the bucket for the uncle if he is a serious comic book collector. After all, this is not an Action 1 or a AF 15 which we are talking about here. hm

Well done and a perfectly though out wedding gift from the uncle! (thumbs u

Treat people with respect and assume they are telling the truth until you have reason to otherwise. Its ok to have a higher level of scrutiny if someone was trying to sell you something, which this person never was.

At best what we have here is a situation where a non-comic book fan who doesn't particularly care about comic mags or the Fantastic Four let alone Fantastic Four 67 has come to this forum to get a feel for what this comic might be "worth", i.e. what she can get for it. And we've all seen this type of situation previously, people whose only interest in a comic or other collectible is the dollars and cents aspect. They look at a comic or collection and their curiosity and aesthetic commentary extends no further than "What is this thing/stuff worth?"

Well truthfully I don't feel any particular need to help these people maximize their take. I'd actually prefer that someone who appreciates the comic or whatever object aesthetically, meaning a collector, benefitted in the form of obtaining the collectible at a more affordable price. After all, it's the collector who appreciates the comic for what it is.

Yet some forum members gave her some very useful information with respect to what she might realize for the comic. She should have happily cut and run. After all, given her subsequent comments about comic fans, I'd say that's a lot better than she deserved.

:eyeroll: