• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Restored 9.4 Tec 33 Blowing up on Ebay

895 posts in this topic

Whoever won this one thinking he'd won the highest graded copy will probably not be very happy.

Both were worked on by same restorer.

Both the Batman #1 shown in the link and the fridge magnets just plain scream out loud- FAKE !!!!!!

Are you sure we are looking at the same thing? (shrug)

Based upon my poor eyesight, the 9.4 linked copy above still looks like a really nice clean copy of Bat 1, as opposed to the 9.6 fridge magnet below:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=637605

If I had to choose between the 2 copies, I certainly know which one I would be going for. hm

Whoever won this one thinking he'd won the highest graded copy will probably not be very happy.

It looks like the prices are, shall we say, appears to be less than enthusiastic on these particular books. This looks like it is going for less than 10% of what an unrestored copy would be going for in the same condition grade. To me, this looks like a very poor result, even for a restored copy. (shrug)

I thought restored books were going for well over 10% of the unrestored price in general, although I am not sure of the percentage range for the traditional EP restored books. hm

I agree, and Im thinking that, given the advances in techniques, that grading SHOULD reward for perfect recreation, and deduct for sloppier, or less perfect work, and for any changes made on purpose for whatever reason.

Of course "grade the book in front of us" will make this moot. Therefore I would suggest a notebook of printouts of high grade examples of - say - 50 major keys that are most often "frankened". CGC ought to be able to have that prepared without too much trouble. (IF of course what we are saying DOES factor into the grading.) Thats at most a couple of FUN hours spent at HA.com, and a color printer!

Images are so easily obtained it makes no sense to limit to grading "the book in front of us." And I am sure they must be referencing images already, or they would not be spotting books with the wrong back cover.

Fortunately, CGC does have a limit on extensive restoration...

Action #7

If it's a xerox copy of the cover shouldn't it read something like 10,000th cover appearance? How many covers were published with Superman on them prior to the creation of that cover?

I've seen slabbed examples of key books with both the cover and the key story as copies. Yet the label still says "first appearance of Monk Man" even though the slab doesn't contain a single molecule of original Monk Man material.

Both the Batman #1 shown in the link and the fridge magnets just plain scream out loud- FAKE !!!!!!

This is not always the case. I had a Bat 1 that was dead mint in every way except missing the back cover. Married a back cover and sold it long ago for a small fraction of what it sold for later when somebody got it into a 9.2 slab (and it may have been upgraded since then)

From the front if looked just as "fake" as that one despite needing nothing at all done to the front cover or the interior

I don't know wether this is a cautionary tale about the CPR game or not (but I think it's at least somewhat relevant to this thread).

Poking around on GPA, I found a book that has the following sales history for the Church copy:

Sold in 2004 as a 9.2

Sold in 2010 as an 8.5

Sold in 2014 as an 8.0

I know that sometimes label attributions are incorrect and there are (only a few, I think) multiple Church copies of some books. Kind of looks, though, that maybe further attempts to upgrade this book aren't a good idea. :D

It looks like the prices are, shall we say, appears to be less than enthusiastic on these particular books. This looks like it is going for less than 10% of what an unrestored copy would be going for in the same condition grade. To me, this looks like a very poor result, even for a restored copy. (shrug)

I thought restored books were going for well over 10% of the unrestored price in general, although I am not sure of the percentage range for the traditional EP restored books. hm

rule of thumb

EP up to 20%

Of course many other factors: book in question, resto, availability, etc.

Well, if this is the norm, then the EP restored books from the Meyers are certainly not getting anywhere even close to the high end of their price range. Especially if you factor in the many additional hours of work which they have to put into each one of these books. doh!:tonofbricks:

Here is an interesting suggestion, for professional, how about mentioning the restorers name on the label - like a signature of the work of art? If it’s unknown, then it gets amateur?

They won't do it for the same reason they took label notes off the labels - they can't discriminate between books and they need to be consistent.

Fortunately, CGC does have a limit on extensive restoration...

Action #7

Interesting, but on that one the cover is a photocopy. My guess is that CBCS would also give that book an NG.

Question is: Where short of a photocopy cover would either company draw the line? hm

I believe they draw the line at larger piece replacements.

From what I heard recently in a conversation with a non CGC source, they will allow it for small things where accuracy is necessary. Like comic code stamps and indicias.

They won't allow photocopy for large piece replacements like logos and artwork.

This is not always the case. I had a Bat 1 that was dead mint in every way except missing the back cover. Married a back cover and sold it long ago for a small fraction of what it sold for later when somebody got it into a 9.2 slab (and it may have been upgraded since then)

From the front if looked just as "fake" as that one despite needing nothing at all done to the front cover or the interior

Right. Our point of reference is not seeing what the books looked like 75 years ago. It's what the books look like today, after years of preservation.

I've seen some SA books with snow white covers and pages. They look 'fake' but aren't. That effect is probably increased on a GA book.

While no one percent applies across the board, my rule of thumb is

Ep 10-15%

Mp 15-25%

Sp 25-50%+

for most GA/SA books in general.

Just avg ga

yup, not the keys.

Does this mean that the keys would generally go for lower than the above average GA percentages due to their inherent higher starting dollar values? ???

Ep 10-15%

Mp 15-25%

Sp 25-50%+

Just avg ga

yup, not the keys.

Does this mean that the keys would generally go for lower than the above average GA percentages due to their inherent higher starting dollar values? ???

:popcorn:

Ep 10-15%

Mp 15-25%

Sp 25-50%+

Just avg ga

yup, not the keys.

:popcorn:

On keys probably a concrete book by book consideration?