• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Restored 9.4 Tec 33 Blowing up on Ebay

895 posts in this topic

Sorry for the million questions but I just thought of another: can you purchase grader notes for a book to get more info on the restoration that the label does not disclose?

The notes may or may note contain additional detail. It depends on how mnuch they fit on the label. In the case of an extensive book, probably the most minor things like "tear seal" would be left off to save room.

I think if wee see several Ext-Resto Bat 1

We now have a 9.4 and a 9.6. I think the 9.4 did pretty well ($58,000), all things considered.

So can we expect it to be sitting on ebay soon, along with all the other Ext-Resto Bat 1s?

The number of ER Batman 1s on ebay ( as overpriced as they are) may be an indication that such books are less popular with collectors than they are dealers.

What sort of unrestored can you get for that price now, a 3.5? or a slightly restored 6.0? I'd think either would be far preferable to most collectors.

I've been offered (and turned down) 75k for my 3.5. For 58 maybe a really nice 2.5

Wow, it just keeps going up.

I think if wee see several Ext-Resto Bat 1

We now have a 9.4 and a 9.6. I think the 9.4 did pretty well ($58,000), all things considered.

So can we expect it to be sitting on ebay soon, along with all the other Ext-Resto Bat 1s?

The number of ER Batman 1s on ebay ( as overpriced as they are) may be an indication that such books are less popular with collectors than they are dealers.

What sort of unrestored can you get for that price now, a 3.5? or a slightly restored 6.0? I'd think either would be far preferable to most collectors.

I've been offered (and turned down) 75k for my 3.5. For 58 maybe a really nice 2.5

Wow, it just keeps going up.

Doesn't it though? I turned it down for quite a bit less at San Diego last year.

While no one percent applies across the board, my rule of thumb is

Ep 10-15%

Mp 15-25%

Sp 25-50%+

So it you go 10-15% on the Ep Tec 33. That gives you a range of 186-280K for a 9.4 blue label. Do you think that is in line.

Ep 10-15%

Mp 15-25%

Sp 25-50%+

So it you go 10-15% on the Ep Tec 33. That gives you a range of 186-280K for a 9.4 blue label. Do you think that is in line.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=415279

To me this book looks more natural. I wonder if the muted colors change our perceptions vs. the bright yellows of Batman 1, Detective 33, and the bright orange on Showcase 4. Of the four books I like the More Fun 52 the best.

mor1.944a.jpg

I believe that book was trimmed at time of manufacture (as many were) with Bailey's signature in the yellow box at the bottom cut off. So they had to trim the top, extend the bottom and add the yellow box with a very poor "reproduction" of Bailey's signature? To my that goes beyond restoration and definitely hits recreation. And should bring less than its pre-recreated self.

Ep 10-15%

Mp 15-25%

Sp 25-50%+

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=415279

Peter

Food for thought the Tec 33 9.4 sale has no feedback yet (shrug)

To me this book looks more natural. I wonder if the muted colors change our perceptions vs. the bright yellows of Batman 1, Detective 33, and the bright orange on Showcase 4. Of the four books I like the More Fun 52 the best.

mor1.944a.jpg

I believe that book was trimmed at time of manufacture (as many were) with Bailey's signature in the yellow box at the bottom cut off. So they had to trim the top, extend the bottom and add the yellow box with a very poor "reproduction" of Bailey's signature? To my that goes beyond restoration and definitely hits recreation. And should bring less than its pre-recreated self.

mor1.854a.jpg

Yeah.

baily-morefun52_zpszxtxvuwt.jpg

Actually the recreation, to me, looks great. The artist screwed up and made it bold face though.

I agree the technique was well done except the sig itself was badly executed. But is it still "restoration" to slice off the top of a cover so you can add material that did not previously exist to the bottom?

Money ( bills ) can be 30%gone and its still good. Most of use will take key Goldenage books with E resto or not right.

I have seen some bad bad bad jobs real paint on cover Tec 35 sell with no prob.

bluechip I should have bought your Action 7 years ago when you gave me a shot at it. doh!

Maybe we'll both have another chance at it when it's offered as a 9.8

Money ( bills ) can be 30%gone and its still good. Most of use will take key Goldenage books with E resto or not right.

I have seen some bad bad bad jobs real paint on cover Tec 35 sell with no prob.

bluechip I should have bought your Action 7 years ago when you gave me a shot at it. doh!

Maybe we'll both have another chance at it when it's offered as a 9.8

That book has so much great history to it hope nobody gets that greedy. :o

I saw this ASM#1 online... and compared it to an unrestored copy in same grade. I thought the webs above the logo looked a bit thick, and they are, Seems that the light blue area gets airbrushed away, or painted in such a way that theres still some black line left to paint over. But the new linework has to be thicker than the original to hide any "double lines". I can't think of another explanation why such talented work couldn't replicate the thin lines of the original printed webbing exactly as they were.

Plus one thing I keep seeing in extensive restored books is the loss of the dot screens.That alone makes them look "unreal" compared to an original untouched comic book.

NOTE the first scan is a Universal CGC 9.6

Second scan is the CBCS 9.6 scan online

Third is the CBCS color corrected to match the CGC scan

(you can't trust color in scans! or monitor to monitor...)

160005.jpg.d90a4dfd88f2d9c8fe6910e4423b0f0b.jpg

160007.jpg.245d5ee30e97a000694f099753c5f696.jpg

160008.jpg.a68fd3d29c28023a2e9413c0394bc7bc.jpg

I saw this ASM#1 online... and compared it to an unrestored copy in same grade. I thought the webs above the logo looked a bit thick, and they are, Seems that the light blue area gets airbrushed away, or painted in such a way that theres still some black line left to paint over. But the new linework has to be thicker than the original to hide any "double lines". I can't think of another explanation why such talented work couldn't replicate the thin lines of the original printed webbing exactly as they were.

Plus one thing I keep seeing in extensive restored books is the loss of the dot screens.That alone makes them look "unreal" compared to an original untouched comic book.

NOTE the first scan is a Universal CGC 9.6

Second scan is the CBCS 9.6 scan online

Third is the CBCS color corrected to match the CGC scan

(you can't trust color in scans! or monitor to monitor...)

The "restored" 12 cent circle is not a circle.

The "restored" 12 cent circle is not a circle.

yeah. its close though and the original was also a bit taller than wide..

I overlaid the restored art over the original. This must have been a pretty solid book. There are very few changes in the artwork areas, But the webs have all been redrawn, a little thicker and each slightly off in placement. Frankly, I think this is on a par with most other extensively restored books with repainted artwork areas. But any area that got repainted lost its dot patterns. Even on Spidey himself

160009.jpg.287364f6e3a1d44cea953ac313ec900b.jpg

That's a good observation - to some it may be an insignificant detail, but to me it makes all the difference (and is one of the key factors in these extra-extensively restored books looking so fake).

After my long conversation with Borock I decided to pass on bidding on these "books". And i actually prefer restored mega Keys

Just not comfortable with these.

After my long conversation with Borock I decided to pass on bidding on these "books". And i actually prefer restored mega Keys

did he have anything to say about them being attributed super high grades ? why does CBCS allow them to be graded when CGC does not ?

did he have anything to say about them being attributed super high grades ? why does CBCS allow them to be graded when CGC does not ?

All was discussed but not my place to repeat