• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Restored 9.4 Tec 33 Blowing up on Ebay

895 posts in this topic

found a good scan to compare against. Can you guess which is the original and which is the CC scan?

This is confusing. The top one shows what appears to be registration issues noticeable especially in the Kane signature and Robin's extended leg.

The bottom one shows no sign of this. I am curious how a properly registered original could result in an out of register scan or how an out of register original could result in a properly registered scan.

Unless I am misreading this and that scan is not of that original.

To me this book looks more natural. I wonder if the muted colors change our perceptions vs. the bright yellows of Batman 1, Detective 33, and the bright orange on Showcase 4. Of the four books I like the More Fun 52 the best.

mor1.944a.jpg

found a good scan to compare against. Can you guess which is the original and which is the CC scan?

This is confusing. The top one shows what appears to be registration issues noticeable especially in the Kane signature and Robin's extended leg.

The bottom one shows no sign of this. I am curious how a properly registered original could result in an out of register scan or how an out of register original could result in a properly registered scan.

The original is NOT the same book before restoration. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. Just a random copy with which to compare the line work.

2nd one looks great. 1st one Batmans face is way off just black .

The blue is way off and Robin/Batman have no eyes way way off.

what do folks think about the about the fact that so many of these books are hitting the market at one time (bat1, MF52, Hulk1, SC4, etc...).....perhaps a risk of saturation even aside from this conversation about the resto.

The original is NOT the same book before restoration. Sorry if I wasn't clear about that. Just a random copy with which to compare the line work.

Thanks. There were obvious things going on with the first one but the off-register sig was really throwing me. Got it now! (thumbs u

what do folks think about the about the fact that so many of these books are hitting the market at one time (bat1, MF52, Hulk1, SC4, etc...).....perhaps a risk of saturation even aside from this conversation about the resto.

Well we are certainly in a period where such keys are commanding such high prices. I don;t think saturation would be an issue unless we start seeing multiple copies of an issue. I think if wee see several Ext-Resto Bat 1, for example, the price may start tp drop and finally level out. But level out at what point (above or below today's average) remains to be seen.

So if a CGC label simply notes "pieces added" and it's extensive professional restoration, how much should one expect to be original? In the past I assumed the added pieces were probably on the corners and along the spine, never even considering that artwork was being reproduced.

So if a CGC label simply notes "pieces added" and it's extensive professional restoration, how much should one expect to be original? In the past I assumed the added pieces were probably on the corners and along the spine, never even considering that artwork was being reproduced.

I know of books that got extensive designation for just a small strip along the spine where paper came off only the first layer of paper when it was removed from a bound volume. And I know of books whose covers were missing logos -- one third of the entire cover -- that were replaced.

A vast difference in what was done to each book. Yet, in each case, the extent of resto and the words used to describe it were identical.

Money ( bills ) can be 30%gone and its still good. Most of use will take key Goldenage books with E resto or not right.

I have seen some bad bad bad jobs real paint on cover Tec 35 sell with no prob.

bluechip I should have bought your Action 7 years ago when you gave me a shot at it. doh!

I know of books that got extensive designation for just a small strip along the spine where paper came off only the first layer of paper when it was removed from a bound volume. And I know of books whose covers were missing logos -- one third of the entire cover -- that were replaced.

A vast difference in what was done to each book. Yet, in each case, the extent of resto and the words used to describe it were identical.

And by replaced you mean recreated artwork? Do restorers ever take pieces from another book's cover, say the logo, that has a cover in worse shape and fit it to another book?

And by replaced you mean recreated artwork? Do restorers ever take pieces from another book's cover, say the logo, that has a cover in worse shape and fit it to another book?

Differenrt restorers have different techniques. Most keep old comics, incomplete comics, partial covers etc. Some keep them, for reference, some for including in the resto, some for both (you can do both by color copying for a reference piece before including the actual piece in resto). As I say, different restorers can use different techniques.

If that is true, then the result of the grading process has lost its value.

If that is true, then the result of the grading process has lost its value.

That's why cgc went to its new resto grading scale. Much more info and detail and reason why they probably wouldn't grade these newly created restored books

I think if wee see several Ext-Resto Bat 1

We now have a 9.4 and a 9.6. I think the 9.4 did pretty well ($58,000), all things considered.

So can we expect it to be sitting on ebay soon, along with all the other Ext-Resto Bat 1s?

The number of ER Batman 1s on ebay ( as overpriced as they are) may be an indication that such books are less popular with collectors than they are dealers.

What sort of unrestored can you get for that price now, a 3.5? or a slightly restored 6.0? I'd think either would be far preferable to most collectors.

I think if wee see several Ext-Resto Bat 1

We now have a 9.4 and a 9.6. I think the 9.4 did pretty well ($58,000), all things considered.

So can we expect it to be sitting on ebay soon, along with all the other Ext-Resto Bat 1s?

The number of ER Batman 1s on ebay ( as overpriced as they are) may be an indication that such books are less popular with collectors than they are dealers.

What sort of unrestored can you get for that price now, a 3.5? or a slightly restored 6.0? I'd think either would be far preferable to most collectors.

I've been offered (and turned down) 75k for my 3.5. For 58 maybe a really nice 2.5