• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Restored 9.4 Tec 33 Blowing up on Ebay

895 posts in this topic

After my long conversation with Borock I decided to pass on bidding on these "books". And i actually prefer restored mega Keys

Just not comfortable with these.

did he have anything to say about them being attributed super high grades ? why does CBCS allow them to be graded when CGC does not ?

All was discussed but not my place to repeat

1) These super slick, cosmetically re-created HG-clones have virtually made the market for Ext (P) books extremely volatile and further aggravated the intransparency issue already there.

2) These ultra HG cloned-frankenstein books now reside in blue Voldemort holders.

3) So Borock owes the community an explanation as to what we are going to do with our old school ext PLODs. They'l get lumped together with the new clones and thus loose market value.

Me no like dat ...

3) So Borock owes the community an explanation as to what we are going to do with our old school ext PLODs.

Easy. Send them over to CBCS for grading. :cool:

Doesn't CBCS have their own chat board? Is anyone a member there? I'd imagine they are discussing this same issue on there?

3) So Borock owes the community an explanation as to what we are going to do with our old school ext PLODs.

Doesn't CBCS have their own chat board? Is anyone a member there? I'd imagine they are discussing this same issue on there?

Their chat board isn't up yet, although their web site indicates that it's "Launching in November 2015"

After my long conversation with Borock I decided to pass on bidding on these "books". And i actually prefer restored mega Keys

Just not comfortable with these.

did he have anything to say about them being attributed super high grades ? why does CBCS allow them to be graded when CGC does not ?

All was discussed but not my place to repeat

Them what's knows won't say and them what says don't know!

Doesn't CBCS have their own chat board?

Yes, they do. Launching "Nov 2015". Active participants: 0

To me this book looks more natural. I wonder if the muted colors change our perceptions vs. the bright yellows of Batman 1, Detective 33, and the bright orange on Showcase 4. Of the four books I like the More Fun 52 the best.

mor1.944a.jpg

I believe that book was trimmed at time of manufacture (as many were) with Bailey's signature in the yellow box at the bottom cut off. So they had to trim the top, extend the bottom and add the yellow box with a very poor "reproduction" of Bailey's signature? To my that goes beyond restoration and definitely hits recreation. And should bring less than its pre-recreated self.

There is no reason that reversible resto should be worth less than the original state except among the anti-resto extreme, even if it amounts to "re-creation." But if it's not reversible and amounts to additional destruction, maybe. Sounds like you're guessing that they cut off the top to make a new bottom, but if that's what happened then it would certainly qualify as non-reversible and destructive.

To me this book looks more natural. I wonder if the muted colors change our perceptions vs. the bright yellows of Batman 1, Detective 33, and the bright orange on Showcase 4. Of the four books I like the More Fun 52 the best.

mor1.944a.jpg

I believe that book was trimmed at time of manufacture (as many were) with Bailey's signature in the yellow box at the bottom cut off. So they had to trim the top, extend the bottom and add the yellow box with a very poor "reproduction" of Bailey's signature? To my that goes beyond restoration and definitely hits recreation. And should bring less than its pre-recreated self.

There is no reason that reversible resto should be worth less than the original state except among the anti-resto extreme, even if it amounts to "re-creation." But if it's not reversible and amounts to additional destruction, maybe. Sounds like you're guessing that they cut off the top to make a new bottom, but if that's what happened then it would certainly qualify as non-reversible and destructive.

Just a personal belief about the cutting the top and adding to the bottom. Looking on HA, there are very few restored copies that have that angle on the back cover. And none that do have Baily's signature.

By "that angle" I mean notice the upwards angle of the back ad. For example:

http://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/more-fun-comics-52-dc-1940-cgc-apparent-vf-75-extensive-p-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7073-91089.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Coincidentally both the CC and this HA share similar smudging in the yellow coupon, especially noticeable in the return address part of the coupon, in the above copy, as well as the upward angle. Looking at the other restored copies on HA I do not see that smudging from the magenta (red) which both share.

looking at the Heritage list of copies of More Fun 73, looks like very few have Baily sig . Most are shifted vertically, with extra room on top, and Baily cut off at time of production. But some copies were cut more centered.

I suppose if I were restoring a copy to its most "pristine looking condition", and I had the chops to do so, I think I would opt to shift the cover image downward, losing the empty top in favor of recreating the bottom area to make the most pleasing cover possible.

but-- and I guess its a big but -- in restoration you can't do that , right? You are supposed to work with what you have, only replacing stuff the actual copy you're working on ever had when printed. Meaning in other words, of you want a perfectly centered FCVR when you are done, START with one.

looking at the Heritage list of copies of More Fun 73, looks like very few have Baily sig . Most are shifted vertically, with extra room on top, and Baily cut off at time of production. But some copies were cut more centered.

I suppose if I were restoring a copy to its most "pristine looking condition", and I had the chops to do so, I think I would opt to shift the cover image downward, losing the empty top in favor of recreating the bottom area to make the most pleasing cover possible.

but-- and I guess its a big but -- in restoration you can't do that , right? You are supposed to work with what you have, only replacing stuff the actual copy you're working on ever had when printed. Meaning in other words, of you want a perfectly centered FCVR when you are done, START with one.

+1

Back when resto was so acceptable it was the norm, I thought people might put extra value on an item that needed no new artwork. I had some books that were resto candidates which I thought were especially desirable because the resto would not need to recreate anything but a solid color on the cover (as in copies of Supe 1, Bat 1, etc. where the edges are not detailed artwork.) What I expected proved not to be the case, though I still think today it should make a difference and would make a difference if the cert companies pointed it out in their labels or notes

Maybe we could get IGB to restore a copy of the Constitution and they could update some of the amendments.

Their chat board isn't up yet, although their web site indicates that it's "Launching in November 2015"

That is my only criticism of their brand.

Worth reposting . . .

", , , I don't think there are enough "perfect" candidates out there to produce the large number of ultra high grade books that have entered the market in only the past few months." Matt Nelson.

Once that sinks in, this thread becomes impotent.

To my mind one should not do that. One should, as you say, work with what you have. Restoration should address each book individually. For example, as I had previously said, I would not consider trimming one side and rebuilding the opposite side to add something that previously did not exist to be restoration. To repeat, I would not consider that resto. Earlier I suggested re-creation but even that, as I think about it, doesn't sit right. It is, well, creation. Making something where something was not.

I have always loathed the term Frankenbook. It gets used way too much and I have seen it applied to everything from SL to Mod to Ext. But when things that never were there in the first place are created, then I would rethink my objection to the term Frankenbook.

No explanation is needed. It's quite obvious that the company is trying to keep itself afloat by attracting ambitious sellers with questionable books.

Kinda been like that from the beginning.

-J.

Strongly doubt this is based upon any factual truth since I heard from some actual collectors who use their services that they are swamped with books and their turnaround times are also exceedingly long. (shrug)

No explanation is needed. It's quite obvious that the company is trying to keep itself afloat by attracting ambitious sellers with questionable books.

Kinda been like that from the beginning.

-J.

Strongly doubt this is based upon any factual truth since I heard from some actual collectors who use their services that they are swamped with books and their turnaround times are also exceedingly long. (shrug)

Metro seems to be using them ... a lot.