• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Earliest anti-Nazi cover?
2 2

49 posts in this topic

I think I used to know the answer to this one, but the little grey cells have been jumping ship at an alarming rate.

What was the first cover to show a hero fighting identifiably German soldiers?

Amazing-Man 9 is cover dated Feb 1940, a few months after the start of the war and nearly two years before U.S. entry.

I'm thinking, though, that it's not the first. hm

lf_zps3a0b3ce3.jpeg

I think I used to know the answer to this one, but the little grey cells have been jumping ship at an alarming rate.

Amazing-Man 9 is cover dated Feb 1940, a few months after the start of the war and nearly two years before U.S. entry.

lf_zps3a0b3ce3.jpeg

Everett was on a roll in Feb 1940!

I always thought this was the 2nd swastika cover but it looks like it might be tied for second.

MarvelMysteryComics4OfficeCopy.jpg

lf_zps3a0b3ce3.jpeg

I always thought this was the 2nd swastika cover but it looks like it might be tied for second.

Personally, I think the first swastika/anti-nazi cover was by Charles Mazoujian, although the design of the swastika was either intentionally or accidentally misrepresented.

Moreover, this cover depicts coordinated carpet bombing, which was a Luftwaffe innovation (Condor Legion) first employed during the Spanish Civil War...

c745763c-702b-4a5c-8c9b-102b173d84b4_zps0jtijojp.jpg

I'm sure the dude I originally acquired this sweet book from would concur. gw.gif

lf_zps3a0b3ce3.jpeg

Personally, I think the first swastika/anti-nazi cover was by Charles Mazoujian, although the design of the swastika was either intentionally or accidentally misrepresented.

Moreover, this cover depicts coordinated carpet bombing, which was a Luftwaffe innovation (Condor Legion) first employed during the Spanish Civil War...

I'm sure the dude I originally acquired this sweet book from would concur. gw.gif

My sweet ex-book! :cry:

I'm not sure where I stand on 'almost Swastika' covers.

lf_zps3a0b3ce3.jpeg

This MMC 2 was probably the 1939 cover date book I was thinking of, although--as you note--it's a trifle ambiguous because the symbol on the plane is not quite a swastika. I wonder whether the cover was inspired by the terror bombing of Warsaw in September 1939, although the cover was probably already drawn prior to that assuming the book was on the stands a couple of months prior to its cover date.

One thing I've always thought about this cover: Your city is getting the krap bombed out of it and a super hero arrives to help ... and he manages to take down maybe one plane? doh!

lf_zps3a0b3ce3.jpeg

This MMC 2 was probably the 1939 cover date book I was thinking of, although--as you note--it's a trifle ambiguous because the symbol on the plane is not quite a swastika. I wonder whether the cover was inspired by the terror bombing of Warsaw in September 1939, although the cover was probably already drawn prior to that assuming the book was on the stands a couple of months prior to its cover date.

One thing I've always thought about this cover: Your city is getting the krap bombed out of it and a super hero arrives to help ... and he manages to take down maybe one plane? doh!

The interior story does involve Poland getting bombed.

January 1940

Top-Notch280-1.jpg

I wonder if those swastikas were added at the last minute, as this comic was probably getting ready to go to press in Oct. '39, only a month or so into the beginning of the formal start of the war in Europe. According to GCD and others, the interior Wizard story involves an attack on Alaska by the Sybernians, presumably a thinly disguised reference to the Soviets. To a large part, in 1939 and through much of 1940, comic book heroes dealt with mythical totalitarian enemies, not specifically identified as Nazis or anyone else.

The earliest reference I could find to a hero specifically battling Nazis, is the introduction of Corporal Collins in Blue Ribbon #2, cover dated Dec. '39. As the story has him in France at the time, I'm guessing this was knocked out in early September, after France and England declared war on Germany.

lf_zps3a0b3ce3.jpeg

From the original cover art (and the other B&W artist concepts included in Vol1 of the Marvel Mystery Omnibus), Angel was jumping off the edge of a building to hitch a ride on the undercarriage of the bomber (covered by marquee text). As Angel was not endowed with an abundance of super-power, his bravery would've been based on cunning. Instead of taking down the plane the obvious presumption is that he was going to follow the squadron back to their base or commandeer the plane and use it against the others.

The interior story does involve Poland getting bombed.

(thumbs u Exactly! And that would add creedence to the idea that this might be the first anti-nazi cover.

If not done in response to the invasion of Poland then the issue certainly seems clairvoyant. The illustrated Angel story inside takes place in Hong Kong and not Poland, but the Angel text story involves Germans bombing Poland. Since the text story would have been easy to rush prior to publication, and since a cover can be done faster than a story, there's a very good argument for this being in response to the actual bombings. The issue then would be that of the actual on sale date of the issue.

Very informative thread. On the flip side does anyone know the last WWII cover? My Marvel Mystery 66 states last war cover of series on the slab. Any others date later from other publishers?

I'm pretty sure this one has been discussed before, but, of course, I can't remember the answer! :D

I've always liked this cover because it's the only one I know of that shows troops returning from the war. It has a cover date one month later than MMC 66.

Edited to add: Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure this one counts as a "war cover" since it is clearly postwar.

1e46b8d8-de05-49c3-b341-6c894b1bc9a9_zpsj8bx6oqo.jpg

Edited by Sqeggs

Nice book. Checked overstreet for any designations and noticed it states Thrilling 51 is last war cover.

Right you are. GCD shows the good old Commando Cubs rampaging through Japan on the cover.