• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Doctor Who Series

252 posts in this topic

Minogue to play Doctor Who's Tardis

(Sunday October 28, 2007 10:50 AM)

Australian pop star Kylie Minogue will play the Tardis in the forthcoming Doctor Who Christmas special.

The 39-year-old singer will appear as waitress Astrid Perth in the hit BBC show, a character linked to the Doctor's time machine.

Astrid is an anagram of Tardis and the character's surname means 'part' in Welsh - the name translates as 'part Tardis'.

A source tells The Sun, "Viewers have often been told the Tardis is a living organism. But mystery has always surrounded what it is and what gives it its powers.

"The elements we know about Kylie's appearance all point towards her being the Tardis."

I'm really not looking forward to Catherine Tate next series.

Whether Martha is returned permanently after her stint on TW or replaced again, I hope they don't stick with Tate long term.

Are you bothered?

The first season had so much promise...The chemistry between Piper and Eccleston was very strong and there were a lot of great episodes. In season two the chemistry was lacking between Tenant and Piper and not so many good episodes other than "The Girl in the Fireplace" which was great. The third season had only a handfull of good episodes, though this is a -script problem and nothing to do with the cast. David Tenant is a wonderful Doctor and Freema is doing a fine job.You know, I actually like" Love and Monsters" in season two, that's the one that I heard was based on Ian Levine.

I really enjoyed Piper as a companion though I was not part of the shipper corp.

I really hated the rough treatment Freema got in fandom. It seemed the majority was really against her for breaking up the ship, which was not accurate. I don't think she got a fair shake because they wrote her so . Here is a character that, while not an intellectual peer to the Doctor, was still educated and intelligent and could have been many other things than a simple damsel in distress. I know that is the old fall back for the writers so they can do exposition but I'd hope they could evolve a bit more than that.

Tate is one of those annoyingly unfunny comedians like Ricky Gervais. Or maybe there's just something there that reaches only the core of a Brit.

In any event I'd like to see Freema get better writing if they're going to keep her. BP made a great damsel in distress because the character was a bit dim. FA should be written differently, not just because her character is different but so that we don't seem to end up with Rose done by a different actor.

and yes...Tate does bovver me.

:)

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't care for Eccleston as the Doctor. However, I'm a big fan of Tennant. Tennant seems more "natural" in the role to me. Although, Eccleston did have better stories to work with.

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't care for Eccleston as the Doctor. However, I'm a big fan of Tennant. Tennant seems more "natural" in the role to me. Although, Eccleston did have better stories to work with.

Have to agree with this...I really loved Eccleston as the more macho Doctor and was miffed they were replacing him, but Tennant is fantastic as the Doctor and captures the spirit a lot better. He is the spiritual successor to John Pertwee and Tom Baker.

Now if they would only get the stories up to snuff :frustrated:

The better the FX get and the higher the budget the worse the scenarios are getting.

I liked it more when they were on a budget and HAD to come up with terrific scripts to save the show

I agree with you. I always felt that he was going to extremes all the time (shrug)

I really enjoyed Piper as a companion though I was not part of the shipper corp.

I really hated the rough treatment Freema got in fandom. It seemed the majority was really against her for breaking up the ship, which was not accurate. I don't think she got a fair shake because they wrote her so . Here is a character that, while not an intellectual peer to the Doctor, was still educated and intelligent and could have been many other things than a simple damsel in distress. I know that is the old fall back for the writers so they can do exposition but I'd hope they could evolve a bit more than that.

Tate is one of those annoyingly unfunny comedians like Ricky Gervais. Or maybe there's just something there that reaches only the core of a Brit.

In any event I'd like to see Freema get better writing if they're going to keep her. BP made a great damsel in distress because the character was a bit dim. FA should be written differently, not just because her character is different but so that we don't seem to end up with Rose done by a different actor.

and yes...Tate does bovver me.

:)

Well said. I've never seen as nasty a fandom fight, than the fights over Doctor Who. Poor Freema was right in the middle of it. I, for the life of me, can't figure out why Doctor Who has been so troubled this time around, with all the great resources the British and their amazing entertainment system has. I pretty much love anything the british do and was extremely puzzled with how season four was wasted.Oh well, next season. As for Ms. Tate, she's one of those people where a little bit of her, goes a long way. Kinda like Borat and Jerry Lewis.

I just don't see how you don't think Billie Piper & Tennant work well together. I thought their onscreen chemistry was just fantastic.

It's all subjective. People see different things. I do wish Piper would have stayed, nothing against Freema, but Piper was just so...so.... delicious!

Not sure if Dr Who fans know about this or not, but there is a webcomic about the different Dr Whos from the television series called "The 10 Doctors".

Just in case anyone is interested...

http://www.shipsinker.com/wordpress/category/drwho/page/9/

Nice! A labor of love. Looks like he's starting with the first doctors & working up.