• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calgary Expo April 28 - May 1 2016

363 posts in this topic

Is this show better than VanFanExpo?

No comparison. Calgary expo is mega-huge like Seattle's ECCC with decent array of media guests, Stan Lee, comic artist/inkers, different independent press creators with art prints. Layout is a bit confusing a la ECCC in that for Calgary, there are the side theaters for media guests or large :gossip: panels, a detached Big 4 Building with more comic/toy/photo vendors, and food carts outside.

Last time, I read somewhere in a newspaper that Calgary Expo is the 2nd largest in Canada (Fan Expo Canada is the first). Also is said to be one of 10-15 largest fan expo cons in North America. Obluovisly SDCC is tops on the list, then that in New York and Baltmore? :foryou:

Food carts ... A few ones does make good meals but is a little expensive. If your are that hungry!

I think on Thursday noon, there will be a little parade of cosplayers walking on street to Calgary Expo, no?

Well VanFanExpo should step up their game then?

It is Greggy's fault that VanFanExpo is not a bigger show........

In Calgary? There is a parade of cosplayers on Stephen Ave every night lol

What about the 4th Ave? There were enough weridoes wandering when the Flames went into playoffs and after each game if win was done. It was mayhem into late hours. Parking on street? Forget it, it's nuts.

I had lived on 4th ave for 3 years, so I know what I said. lol:whatev:

In Calgary? There is a parade of cosplayers on Stephen Ave every night lol

What about the 4th Ave? There were enough weridoes wandering when the Flames went into playoffs and after each game if win was done. It was mayhem into late hours. Parking on street? Forget it, it's nuts.

I had lived on 4th ave for 3 years, so I know what I said. lol:whatev:

(thumbs u I wasn't going to go there, but here we are lol

No comparison. Calgary expo is mega-huge like Seattle's ECCC with decent array of media guests, Stan Lee, comic artist/inkers, different independent press creators with art prints. Layout is a bit confusing a la ECCC in that for Calgary, there are the side theaters for media guests or large :gossip: panels, a detached Big 4 Building with more comic/toy/photo vendors, and food carts outside.

Last time, I read somewhere in a newspaper that Calgary Expo is the 2nd largest in Canada (Fan Expo Canada is the first). Also is said to be one of 10-15 largest fan expo cons in North America. Obluovisly SDCC is tops on the list, then that in New York ? :foryou:

I think only 1 Vancouver brick n mortar shop will set up at Van Fan expo, as the expo is about 10 days after the 100 table Van Comic Show, 6 days after the Scottish Cult. Ctr show, and a mere 5 days after Heritage Hall in East Vancouver. Too many local Vancouver shows from Hallowe'en to Nov/16. :slapfight:

Last time, I read somewhere in a newspaper that Calgary Expo is the 2nd largest in Canada (Fan Expo Canada is the first). Also is said to be one of 10-15 largest fan expo cons in North America. Obluovisly SDCC is tops on the list, then that in New York ? :foryou:

I think only 1 Vancouver brick n mortar shop will set up at Van Fan expo, as the expo is about 10 days after the 100 table Van Comic Show, 6 days after the Scottish Cult. Ctr show, and a mere 5 days after Heritage Hall in East Vancouver. Too many local Vancouver shows from Hallowe'en to Nov/16. :slapfight:

Gosh... Never thought of that angle. You might be right in what you are saying. I think I can do Van Comic Show as my last vendor booth, after that is off season until next year. Then go see Van Fan expo as a fan. Yeah... From Hallowe'en to Nov/16 with 3 shows? Too much for me. :screwy:

Gosh... Never thought of that angle. You might be right in what you are saying. I think I can do Van Comic Show as my last vendor booth, after that is off season until next year. Then go see Van Fan expo as a fan. Yeah... From Hallowe'en to Nov/16 with 3 shows? Too much for me. :screwy:

Happened this March for me, was 3 shows in 3 consecutive weeks. Go figure the 3rd week sales were not that strong.

Boo on the weather forecast

Lows in the high 30's and highs in the high 60's. :takeit:

Your Florida weakened body will be freezing at night.

How does the metrorail line work in Calgary? Is it free to ride in the downtown core? Do u need to prepay for a plastic tap in/tap out card to ride the rail from downtown to Calgary expo /Victoria/ Stampede :busy: station grounds?

How does the metrorail line work in Calgary? Is it free to ride in the downtown core? Do u need to prepay for a plastic tap in/tap out card to ride the rail from downtown to Calgary expo /Victoria/ Stampede :busy: station grounds?

It is free only in downtown from City Hall station to Downtown West/Kerby station. Anything beyond the zone will need pay fares in fare vending machines in every station. Calgary doesn't have a Compass system yet. Their system is still old school and is with one zone all for $3.15. I had corrected up with fare cost. Good for one ticket with 90 mins anywhere.

Here is the URL link to see the map.

Calgary transit C-train map

A word of caution to all parties thinking to use the C-train during the Calgary Comic Expo weekend. There will be transit security and cops at the VictoriaPark/Stampade station to check all entering passengers that thy all have a valid transit stub. They do that every year when the comic expo is up running.

Of course, they also have the old school fare box for you to drop in coins, you get the ticket in person. American coins are welcome as well :foryou:

If you take a train to Tuscany, get off at Sunnyside station and walk 2 mins over tracks to a comic book store called "Another Dimension". They have a great section of action figures, comics and GN books. :foryou:

A word of caution to all parties thinking to use the C-train during the Calgary Comic Expo weekend. There will be transit security and cops at the VictoriaPark/Stampade station to check all entering passengers that thy all have a valid transit stub. They do that every year when the comic expo is up running.

Of course, they also have the old school fare box for you to drop in coins, you get the ticket in person. American coins are welcome as well :foryou:

If you take a train to Tuscany, get off at Sunnyside station and walk 2 mins over tracks to a comic book store called "Another Dimension". They have a great section of action figures, comics and GN books. :foryou:

whoa whoa, don't encourage people to spend their money before the show :cry:

whoa whoa, don't encourage people to spend their money before the show :cry:

Compare to what you have to offer at the show? I'd take yours over that place. They don't have much in older comics. lol I like the show more as it's more fun to spend my money in there. :luhv: