• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Repeat Ownership of Art?

23 posts in this topic

Ok, here's an odd question: how many of you have a piece of art that you have owned multiple times? I have one cover that I have owned and sold/traded repeatedly, to the point that this is now my 4th time owning it and I've decided it's time to stop the boomerang. It sold on eBay in 1999 and was the reason I first started my ebay account. I missed it that time, but later bought it after it changed hands once. Then I traded it for another cover by the same artist (Cardy). Then I bought it back from the person I traded it to. Then I sold it to pay for a deal for an EC grail. A few years after that it turned up at a Comic Connect auction and I bought it. A couple of years after I needed business funds so I sold it to Mike Burkey. When I sold the business a couple of years later I then bought it back from Mike. It's a cover that I've loved ever since I saw it on a DC house ad back in the 70s during a camp out in a friend's back yard and now it's home to stay.

Anyone else have a story about art that works its way back to you over and over?

Fascinating topic. My collection tends to be one wayand I have sold very few items over the years (and no art). I will admit, that first post has me wondering what the art is and why it has hot-potatoe’d all around the hobby so many times. Got a link?

I threw in a great Born Again page as part of a trade several years ago. The owner threw it up into an auction and it went for (IMO) peanuts. I didn't bid.

Since then I've learned my lesson and have won back three pieces I'd traded away.

Also, I've got one piece I sold on eBay. I saw the new owner, a year later, putting things for sale in their CAF. I asked them if they wanted to sell me back the page (not posted in their gallery). Easy deal!

There were at least couple of pieces that I sold, bought back, and sold again.

I can't remember the 2nd piece, but the first piece was memorable, after saving up to buy it from me, I saw it for auction a few months later, it was a terrible auction with a tiny picture, so I bought it back for a little over 1/2 of what I sold it for. about a year later someone else was asking about it so I sold it again for the same price I sold it for the first time!

Malvin

There were at least couple of pieces that I sold, bought back, and sold again.

I can't remember the 2nd piece, but the first piece was memorable, after saving up to buy it from me, I saw it for auction a few months later, it was a terrible auction with a tiny picture, so I bought it back for a little over 1/2 of what I sold it for. about a year later someone else was asking about it so I sold it again for the same price I sold it for the first time!

Malvin

NICE, very profitable piece of art for you!

Yes and I have tried to buy back at least 3 or 4 pieces this past year with no luck, sometimes offering 3x what I sold them for. :tonofbricks:

I have to ask: did you sell the page to buy more art? If so, do you appreciate the art you acquired with the proceeds more/less than the page you can’t get back at 3X?

Yes and I have tried to buy back at least 3 or 4 pieces this past year with no luck, sometimes offering 3x what I sold them for. :tonofbricks:

Those pieces from 8 years ago that I am buying back are coming back to me at 6x

:golfclap::roflmao:^^:facepalm::slapfight::roflmao::screwy::jokealert:

meh. I know you're joking, but I don't bat an eye. I got the use of the money for 8 years to buy better pieces, and I did. Unlike the guy I am buying them from that paid 8x my initial price just four months ago.

:eek:

Great looking Cardy cover!

For me it happened a couple of times that I got back an art piece. Though never more than twice that I owned something.

Most notable for me are the following two pieces.

Both of them I used in a trade a long time ago and still own the art I got in return in those trades.

They are my Byrne Galactus pin up. As I call it a nostalgic art collecting piece since it is something I picked up early in my comic art collecting.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1268958

And my Byrne Avengers Thor vs Nefaria page. Early in my collecting I owned several pages of this story and this one was the best of the bunch:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1085247

Best,

Eelco

meh. I know you're joking, but I don't bat an eye. I got the use of the money for 8 years to buy better pieces, and I did. Unlike the guy I am buying them from that paid 8x my initial price just four months ago.

:eek:

That is of course the most important piece of the puzzle - what one did with the money? If you got something you couldn't get today (at any price) or something that would cost much more, then it's basically a long term lopsided trade in your favor :)

Yes I was poking fun, but only because I know I can. You'd never do that and be making a mistake!

When trading a piece away that you like a lot, is your plan to try and get it back (maybe hoping it doesn’t hit CAF so that you are the only one who knows where it is)? Or was it gone because you are happy with the deal and you don’t really follow where it goes?

Been collecting 28 years, only bought back one page ever and that was a few months ago. Put it auction few months back and already came back up for sale. Threw in a bid of 30% of what it sold for, and somehow it sold to me. No idea what to do with it , maybe trade it.