• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: X-Men #1 CGC - REVEAL -

23 posts in this topic

X-Men #1

Hi guys. This is a CGC graded book. My scanner wouldn't scan it properly, so I had to take pictures instead. They don't look too great.

I look forward to your grades/opinions. Thanks very much in advance. I'll eventually put up a picture of the book in the holder with it's CGC grade. :)

Some things to point out:

* The reds on the front and back cover are much nicer looking than in the pictures. In the pics the reds turned out more orange than what they should be.

* You may see blurriness in some areas do to the camera being out of focus and glare from the reflection of light on the holder.

* The words on the back cover are sharp, with nice, full black ink. Unfortunately, the picures make them look blurred and faded in multiple areas. This isn't the case.

0532%20-%20C.jpg

0542%20-%20C.jpg

You have a beautiful collection of books, Ron. Thank you for sharing. With this book it has a couple of flaws that CGC is consistently tough on. It has a color breaking vertical crease down the center of the book. There is also what appears to be a water stain near the left edge of the back cover. The rest of the book warrants maybe a FN- but I feel that this is most likely a CGC 3.5, albeit a nice one, due to the aforementioned flaws.

You have a beautiful collection of books, Ron. Thank you for sharing. With this book it has a couple of flaws that CGC is consistently tough on. It has a color breaking vertical crease down the center of the book. There is also what appears to be a water stain near the left edge of the back cover. The rest of the book warrants maybe a FN- but I feel that this is most likely a CGC 3.5, albeit a nice one, due to the aforementioned flaws. [/quote

+ Agreed. Nice selection of books that your posting.]

You have a beautiful collection of books, Ron. Thank you for sharing. With this book it has a couple of flaws that CGC is consistently tough on. It has a color breaking vertical crease down the center of the book. There is also what appears to be a water stain near the left edge of the back cover. The rest of the book warrants maybe a FN- but I feel that this is most likely a CGC 3.5, albeit a nice one, due to the aforementioned flaws.

Highstakes, first I'd like to say I really appreciate your compliment. It was a very nice thing to say and made my day for sure! It's been a pleasure posting the books on here and hearing your opinions. I also thank you for taking the extra time to mention some of the flaws that factored in your grade.

I'm not sure that this info even matters for the grade that you feel the book is in, but thought I would mention it anyway.

The vertical color break you mention measures 7/8" and is contained to the lower right leg of area of the "X". I've looked over the book in every angle of light I can and don't see an actual crease anywhere. I do understand that the cover had to be under some kind of stress to make the color break. Additionally, there are two very light/faint vertical stress marks:

* The second one is 1/4" and on Angel's shoulder. Though close in proximity to the "X", it doesn't run consecutively from the X to Angel's shoulder.

* The third one is 1 1/8" and starts by Beast's right knee (our left) and runs to the middle of the sole of his left foot (our right). It may look like there are some additional tiny vertical stress lines on Beast's right knee, but there's nothing there. I imagine it's just the glare from the case.

Do these additional color breaks that I mention already fit into the grade you've given? Thanks :)

It may go a bit higher, Ron, but 3.5 was my initial thought. It's hard to tell the size of the stain on the back but it looks like it might be larger than a quarter. There's also some wear in the lower right hand corner and the other corners are rounded. Dont get me wrong, a 4.0 or a 4.5 isn't out of the question, but from what I've seen in the past 3.5 would be my guess here.

4.5- i think its a VG+ because even though there is quite a bit of wear it doesn't seem to spoil the front cover's overall apearance it seems to be mostly perimeter wear from the scan. There is some color fade for sure as evidenced by the green in the ULFC but if the reds aren't too bad as you state then i don't think its really enough to drag the book into the lower grades at all. If this book is rock solid structurally i think it is right in line with most CGC 4.5's I have seen.

REVEAL

X-Men #1 CGC 3.0

Graded back in 2002.

So after reading many articles, and forums, I'm aware that CGC was much tougher on grading way back then.

I'd appreciate your opinions as to what makes the most sense:

- A resubmission.

- A clean and press, then resubmission.

- Leave it be in the old blue label.

Thanks guys!

053.jpg

054.jpg