• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Value of a Double Cover

30 posts in this topic

I've never heard of a hard-and-fast rule or formula for calculating the added value of a double- or triple-cover. (I believe there are a few examples of quadruple and maybe even quintuple covers?)

Part of the premium of a multi-cover would presumably derive from the condition of the innermost cover...? Personally I'd also factor in the age and scarcity of the book; there seem to be many more multi-covers from the '70s than the '60s or '50s.

Then there's the value of the book in question, and value of just the cover only; has anyone ever removed the outer cover from a multi-cover book, perhaps to sell it to someone with a coverless copy? (I realize removing the outer cover would like require removing the staples, in which case CGC might view it as restored if the staples weren't replaced precisely.)

Interesting question - is there GPA sales data on double covers?

is there GPA sales data on double covers?

Yes. They note the sales and give them seperate charts.

They don't lump it in with single cover books in the same grade.

I had the earliest known double and triple covers a few years ago and they both went for multiples over what a regular one would go for. But they were both high grade too. The double cover was More Fun #46 and the tripple cover was Action Comics #83.

West

That's awesome, West - so they went for multiples of guide as much for the high grade as the multiple covers, you think? How high grade were they?

I've had numerous multi-cover books in my collection over the years...but the only one I know of off the top o' my head is an Avengers 161 double cover that I grade a 9.6.

That's awesome, West - so they went for multiples of guide as much for the high grade as the multiple covers, you think? How high grade were they?

I've had numerous multi-cover books in my collection over the years...but the only one I know of off the top o' my head is an Avengers 161 double cover that I grade a 9.6.

They were both in the 8.0-9.0 range.

West

My Question to board members is What kind of value does a Double Cover give a comic book? Does it make the book worth more?

I pay a hella premium for ASM double covers (trying to collect as many as I can). The market for double covers is relatively small, so you have to find the right collector to maximize any money you make. Condition is also key.

My Question to board members is What kind of value does a Double Cover give a comic book? Does it make the book worth more?

I pay a hella premium for ASM double covers (trying to collect as many as I can). The market for double covers is relatively small, so you have to find the right collector to maximize any money you make. Condition is also key.

I never understood the appeal of double covers in the CGC era. At least before slabbing you could look at the inside cover and marvel at how nice the gloss is, etc. But, now, all you have to look at is the less pristine outer cover.

I always avoided them, except as a novelty.

I never understood the appeal of double covers in the CGC era. At least before slabbing you could look at the inside cover and marvel at how nice the gloss is, etc. But, now, all you have to look at is the less pristine outer cover.

I agree for the most part. I would say that 90% of my double cover collection (even the ASMs) remains unslabbed. The value of the CGC service to double covers for me is mainly to verify the authenticity of the additional cover. It is also nice to get a third party objective opinion as to what are the grades for the covers.

I pay a hella premium for ASM double covers (trying to collect as many as I can).

hi.gif Hay I collect those ASM Double covers to I guess we have butted heads on ebay a few times on those frown.gif Just curious how many ASM's do you have with Double Covers and do you have any with more than two covers gossip.gif?

I pay a hella premium for ASM double covers (trying to collect as many as I can).

hi.gif Hay I collect those ASM Double covers to I guess we have butted heads on ebay a few times on those frown.gif Just curious how many ASM's do you have with Double Covers and do you have any with more than two covers gossip.gif?

OK, which of you is theometalhead2 and which is aznthrilla? poke2.gif

That's their appeal. They are a novelty. The only double cover I own is a Tomb of Dracula #7 CGC 9.4. I'd like to own more early TOD double covers but only if the outer cover is not substantially worse than the inner cover. On my TOD #7, the outer cover is 9.2.

OK, which of you is theometalhead2 and which is aznthrilla?

confused-smiley-013.gif I thought you were one of those I am cosmic-spider-man on ebay to gossip.gif wonder if they are board members hi.gif

kikirae76 is me. (yeah yeah, its an account the woman started, I just hijacked it.)

Either of you guys win the slabbed ASM 312 double cover that was up on ebay awhile back? I wanted in on that but just had too many other things going on at the time to really set aside $100+ for it.

Either of you guys win the slabbed ASM 312 double cover

confused-smiley-013.gif not me I must have missed that one If I had seen it I would have bid on it. I did win a 302 a while back that was graded.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif I wonder how many different issues of ASM got put together with Double Covers I have probably seen close to 50 now I even remember seeing a Amazing Fantasy #15 on ebay a few years back with a Double Cover it was CGC graded I think it was a 5.5 I wish I had saved a picture of that one.

I paid $7 for this raw, and since it was a double cover, sent it for grading:

hos256.jpg

I sold it at Wondercon for $40, basically doubling my money. With double covers, do you think there's a minimum that any decent double cover is worth, versus a percentage premium? In other words, is any double cover worth at least $30?

The earliest DC (double cover, duh) I've owned was a Whiz 20. The coolest I've seen is an Uncanny X-Men 1. Both covers are like VG, but it's the biggest key I've seen with a DC.

I've repeatedly tried to buy it, but my friend won't sell... frown.gif