• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

lol i thought something similar when i saw an iron man #1 9.9 old label go for 69K. We now live in a hobby that has more speculators than ever before and ceilings on books seem to disappear if it is believed a book is the finest certified copy in existence. Without looking @ gpa i assume thats whats happening here or someone is betting heavily on the panther going over big in the movies.

WTF??? Did I really just see that FF 52 in 9.8 sell for $84K? Is this some bizzaro world we are living in? I think I just quit the hobby :facepalm:

With that money i'd rather buy me some af15

Shocker !

lol i thought something similar when i saw an iron man #1 9.9 old label go for 69K. We now live in a hobby that has more speculators than ever before and ceilings on books seem to disappear if it is believed a book is the finest certified copy in existence. Without looking @ gpa i assume thats whats happening here or someone is betting heavily on the panther going over big in the movies.

The other 3 9.8's (all pedigrees BTW) sold for between $16-23K in the last 3 years. I can't imagine this is speculation. Even if the Panther is a huge movie hit, how many people have the ability to shell out 6 figures for a comic book? Which is what it will need to hit in order for someone to get their money back if they sell, let alone make a profit.

I just don't get it. Silly money for this type of book.

The other 3 9.8's (all pedigrees BTW) sold for between $16-23K in the last 3 years. I can't imagine this is speculation. Even if the Panther is a huge movie hit, how many people have the ability to shell out 6 figures for a comic book? Which is what it will need to hit in order for someone to get their money back if they sell, let alone make a profit.

+1

WTF??? Did I really just see that FF 52 in 9.8 sell for $84K? Is this some bizzaro world we are living in? I think I just quit the hobby :facepalm:

Buyer has more money than brains or.... market manipulation.

I was watching the bidding... 2 guys were going at it with no thought between bids all the way up to about $65K and the last couple of bids dragged out a bit. Too extreme of a price for any sort of shenanigans I think. Definitely more money than brains IMO

I was watching the bidding... 2 guys were going at it with no thought between bids all the way up to about $65K and the last couple of bids dragged out a bit. Too extreme of a price for any sort of shenanigans I think. Definitely more money than brains IMO

Maybe a new person to the hobby with money wants that trifle of a comic book OR....Nic Cage is buying again? :shrug:

Crazy... if the buyer pays that amount they will be buried with that book as he, or his kid's kids, will never be able to sell it for what he paid.

There's no logic to this anymore.

+1

Strange especially because it takes 2 to tango. Easy to understand one guy with money new to the hobby and doesn't know what he is doing but 2 guys getting bid fever on a book and going that far over the top is strange indeed. It seems a stretch to be so convinced the book would grade higher in a resub to shell out 40K over GPA on a 20K book.

A ground breaking book, and part of an historic run in comics book history. Throw in a splashy cinematic debut this year, and a series of solo upcoming movies and it's not too hard to see why someone would be willing to shell out big $$ for a top of the census copy (though that is always a risky proposition regardless of the book).

-J.

The FF #45 - $35,850, the FF #49 - $44,215, and the FF #50 - $35,850 all realized some pretty healthy prices too. Not as out there as the #52, but still pretty amazing.

Yeah the 49 is the only one that didn't surprise me since it is the only one in 9.8. The rest are all 1 of 3 or 4 in 9.8. I'm still floored by the price on the 52 though