• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

My fine plus copy is gonna pay off my mortgage!

:ohnoez:

Do you mean that you are now going to be able to get into the deep 6 figures for this book! :olol

No, I mean by the time I could make myself part with it, my mortgage will be down to $500. :grin:

My fine plus copy is gonna pay off my mortgage!

:ohnoez:

Do you mean that you are now going to be able to get into the deep 6 figures for this book! :olol

No, I mean by the time I could make myself part with it, my mortgage will be down to $500. :grin:

lol:signfunny:

The bidding is up to 75,000 for the Curator. Pretty strong showing so far. Maybe the 84K sale was not an anomaly.

That is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!

Rationalization would state that this is the under bidder from the recent auction, but imagine if this is someone totally different bidding?? (a third, different bidder than the Heritage auction or even more different bidders!!)

Again, INCREDIBLE!!

Were I the previous underbidder I'd hesitate to become involved in the auction. It would be too obvious a technique for Heritage or the seller to shill bid against me up to my previous limit. I'd just say "Screw this" and not participate.

(shrug)

The bidding is up to 75,000 for the Curator. Pretty strong showing so far. Maybe the 84K sale was not an anomaly.

That is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!

Rationalization would state that this is the under bidder from the recent auction, but imagine if this is someone totally different bidding?? (a third, different bidder than the Heritage auction or even more different bidders!!)

Again, INCREDIBLE!!

Were I the previous underbidder I'd hesitate to become involved in the auction. It would be too obvious a technique for Heritage or the seller to shill bid against me up to my previous limit. I'd just say "Screw this" and not participate.

(shrug)

this isn't an auction per se; the book is listed in the Clink marketplace. the consignor could accept the $75k or not.

Anybody would be nuts to turn that number down.

One man's nuts is another man's buts... :insane:

...he's holding out for 75K and a bottle of Dom....... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Geeze, I'd take it. It's $75k for crying out loud!? :slapfight:

I still feel bad letting go of my 9.2 :(

Me too. I sold it four years ago for a measly $890.

Do these kind of outlier prices for books in 9.8 affect the valuations at 9.2 and below? It's not a book that's hard to find in lower grades (actually, it's not hard to find in ultra-high grades either).

I still feel bad letting go of my 9.2 :(

Me too. I sold it four years ago for a measly $890.

Do these kind of outlier prices for books in 9.8 affect the valuations at 9.2 and below? It's not a book that's hard to find in lower grades (actually, it's not hard to find in ultra-high grades either).

The jury is still out for this book. A 9.2 has popped up on ComicLink and a 9.0 on eBay. They both have pretty aggressive ask prices. So sellers have obviously taken note. We'll see about the buyers.

Though in this case I suspect any price increases would have more to do with movie hype than the Heritage sale.

If people are willing to spend 75K and 84K, what will people 20 years from now be willing to pay once 3 or 4 movies and a half dozen silver screen appearances under the belt be paying for it then? People could be saying "Wow, I sold that for a measly 75K 20 years ago...wish I had it now!

If people are willing to spend 75K and 84K, what will people 20 years from now be willing to pay once 3 or 4 movies and a half dozen silver screen appearances under the belt be paying for it then? People could be saying "Wow, I sold that for a measly 75K 20 years ago...wish I had it now!

I'm hoping that the buyer of this book is the same type who spent $20k on an FF112 a few years back and enjoys watching the 'TMZ influence' of the market rock their ever lovin' world!!!

Speculators get the Speculum!

It's not a book that's hard to find in lower grades (actually, it's not hard to find in ultra-high grades either).

That's what bewilders me. There are all kinds of nice ones out there. Why must the buyer(s) absolutely, positively have this one?

(shrug)

It's not a book that's hard to find in lower grades (actually, it's not hard to find in ultra-high grades either).

That's what bewilders me. There are all kinds of nice ones out there. Why must the buyer(s) absolutely, positively have this one?

(shrug)

That's what swings those super high grade values so wildly. Some buyers want it NOW!!!11 and some will wait for the right opportunity.

(shrug)

That's what swings those super high grade values so wildly. Some buyers want it NOW!!!11 and some will wait for the right opportunity.

Yup the "I have to have it" mentality

There's only one Curator copy.

I never would have guessed that 4x the investment could be possible on this book just just 4 years after it sold on heritage for low 20's! A book of this pedigree you learn to expect the :insane: but this just feels like there are no boundaries anymore.

I remember one boardie with a lot of posts reviling everybody in comics general about 10 years ago for investing in comics as a retirement nest egg. Stock market is where it at he said. Silver and Gold keys and semi-keys have been very good to those who have bought in and a lot less volatile than the market in the last decade!

That could have been me. :blush: If it was, I'd be thinking about a retirement fund diversified across many investment classes, and not sinking everything into comic books alone. That said, the Dow is up 60% over the past ten years, which includes the collapse of the mortgage securities market and the resulting sharp decline in US stocks in 2008-09.

These days, its all about the hot book of the moment, I reckon.

That could have been me. :blush: If it was, I'd be thinking about a retirement fund diversified across many investment classes, and not sinking everything into comic books alone. That said, the Dow is up 60% over the past ten years, which includes the collapse of the mortgage securities market and the resulting sharp decline in US stocks in 2008-09.

These days, its all about the hot book of the moment, I reckon.

lol - no not you. you are way more respected than the nut i was referring to. Not knocking being in the market. you sure can do well there. Just think a lot of people lost some serious cash there a few years back. i just don't see too many complaining about losing their azz from investing in keys over the last 10 years.