• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$84K for an FF 52?!?

538 posts in this topic

FF52 9.8 asking 90K

These books are lovely but something tells me that this will sit there for a looooooong time.

What makes you say this? ???

Especially if a non-pedigree copy can sell for $84K, then why would it be so surprising if a similar graded copy from the most recognized SA pedigree not sell when it is asking only $6K more. hm

Based upon the 2 scans though, it would appear that the Curator copy does seem to have some very slight imperfections which are not evident on the non-pedigree copy. But it's hard to say when you do not have the actual books in hand. (shrug)

FF52 9.8 asking 90K

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this book. If it doesn't sell for a pretty big price, it would be kind of a head scratcher. To my eyes, the Heritage book and the Curator copy are pretty equal structurally. And the Curator collection is probably one of the top two Silver Age pedigrees which should just add to the book's desirability.. So unless we just witnessed some auction induced bidding mania to the tune of $84K, the book should sell pretty soon. At least in theory.

FF52 9.8 asking 90K

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this book. If it doesn't sell for a pretty big price, it would be kind of a head scratcher. To my eyes, the Heritage book and the Curator copy are pretty equal structurally. And the Curator collection is probably one of the top two Silver Age pedigrees which should just add to the book's desirability.. So unless we just witnessed some auction induced bidding mania to the tune of $84K, the book should sell pretty soon. At least in theory.

I've sold plenty a book that way. Just call up the auction house and ask them to offer your copy to the underbidder.

If it gets seen by (or offered to) the Heritage underbidder and it doesn't sell...

Perhaps a true test, if the recent Heritage sale for the FF52 was an anomaly or not, would to list the Curator at 80K instead of 90K.

If the Curator's owner is the original buyer from the Heritage 2012 auction, they would have paid around $22,700 for the FF52 in 2012. A healthy profit indeed still at 80K and would have probably been a dream amount before the recent FF52 Heritage sale.

The 80K would also be in the neighborhood of what the recent Heritage under bidder would have bid and they would be getting a pedigree to boot!

Like I said, just a test to see if the recent sale was just a one off or not.

But, it is totally understandable that the Curator's owner would want more than the recent non-pedigree 52 since it is indeed from a well respected Silver Age pedigree.

Still fun to discuss when I'm spending other people's money and selling other people's books! HA!

SCENARIO # 1

Underbidder..... "Surely there are none so foolish as to bid anywhere NEAR my 85K max bid ....... this will be any easy 30K win".

Winning bidder..... "Surely there are none so foolish as to bid anywhere NEAR my100K max bid ....... this will be any easy 30K win".

SCENARIO # 2

Samuel Jackson...... " Mock me if you will, Wesly, but I just wanted it..... and frankly, I've dropped more than that on a hand of Poker in Vegas".

.........GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Especially if a non-pedigree copy can sell for $84K, then why would it be so surprising if a similar graded copy from the most recognized SA pedigree not sell when it is asking only $6K more. hm

Mathematically there's a very good reason. It's unlikely that the high-bidder would be interested in another copy so that we can assume that he won't be bidding up the price again. Therefore the underbidder only has to beat the third highest bidder to be the high bidder this time. And the third highest bidder may have only been willing to bid $20,000. Were I the underbidder, I'd study the bid structure of the previous auction very carefully before deciding what I'd be prepared to bid again this time. And if my new much lower bid proves disappointing to the seller, well then he can take it or leave it because that's as much as he's going to get at this time.

:preach:

I often settled for mid-grade instead of paying for a high-grade comic. In retrospect, buying the best would have been a better investment, but I chose to get more comics for less.

Me too. Less is more.

Less actually turned out to be less.

If you are driven by valuation, yes, you are correct.

Not just by valuation, but a low grade collector would`ve actually benefited from having bought high grade comics back in the day because the proceeds from selling the high grade comics would translate into many more low grade books today.

For example, if the spread between NM and VG back in the old days was just 3X, then let`s suppose you could`ve bought a NM AF 15 for $100 back then and a VG copy for $33. So you could`ve bought 1 NM AF 15 or 3 VG AF 15s.

Now fast forward to day, and you`ve submitted that AF 15 to CGC and it`s come back as a CGC 9.4, which the most recent Heritage auction established to be a $450K book. How many VG AF15s could you buy for $450K? A whole lot more than 3.

But you're assuming the low grade collector could actually afford the high grade book "back in the day." Big assumption.

The way the conversation was going, it sounded like if a collector had $100, instead of buying 1 NM AF 15, he would buy 3 $33 books instead. It didn`t sound like it was a case of not having $100 and buying a $33 book because that`s all he had.

i hate that guy. my wife keeps on asking me why i don't do what he does.

or at least why i'm not his fat, bearded, middle aged, very well compensated lawyer.

The bidding is up to 75,000 for the Curator. Pretty strong showing so far. Maybe the 84K sale was not an anomaly.

Thanks Bob for the update

That is absolutely INCREDIBLE!!

Rationalization would state that this is the under bidder from the recent auction, but imagine if this is someone totally different bidding?? (a third, different bidder than the Heritage auction or even more different bidders!!)

Again, INCREDIBLE!!