• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1, Should be a good gauge on REAL market value:

126 posts in this topic

Slightly off topic here but what's with the "estate find" in the title of all their auctions? What estate? Why has no one heard about this "estate" find. I know, it's a marketing ploy like "original owner" collection. Does anybody really believe this? I can't imagine it would make any difference of where it came from. Anybody who uses this ploy without a little back up seems a little bit of BS to me.

:screwy: people out there it does sound good fresh new estate Wow Bang Pow

Slightly off topic here but what's with the "estate find" in the title of all their auctions? What estate? Why has no one heard about this "estate" find. I know, it's a marketing ploy like "original owner" collection. Does anybody really believe this? I can't imagine it would make any difference of where it came from. Anybody who uses this ploy without a little back up seems a little bit of BS to me.

I don't see a reference to "estate find" in this auction. hm

I bought my copy in early 80s and it was unrestored mid grade. I had the spine done and the cover plus insides cleaned. I thought it was a vf or better with Mod resto.

when I wanted to sell i drove to pgx for same day grade so i could list next day and they gave it 8.5 Ex. I ask why the Ex. I was told the spine had pieces added and a tear seal and bottom edge trim plus cleaned makes it Ex. I dont agree with the trim but it could have been done. I do know if i just sold Raw as vf restored for big $ i never would have thought or saw trim and it could have killed the sale.

nothing personal, but you believe pgx to be proficient at resto detection?

No but i wanted to buy a house fast and they are 500 miles away so i did what i did. I am scared to send to CGC now with the IGB stigma.

I would think just the opposite...with cgc not grading IGB books, they might be the only restored grade folks can "count" on... strange indeed, dealing with pgx...that has to hurt resale value far more than fedexing to cgc I would think

Yup you are right. The only reason i had the books graded was so someone other than me was there for a grade and to be fair to the buyer. If i new you at the time i would have got your grade input and put G.A.tor approved and saved money and they would sell faster.

or you could have just sold to me lol

Not that specific one. Wouldn't work at all on a restored and slabbed book. But look at the rest of their offerings. Does anyone really believe that?

Not that specific one. Wouldn't work at all on a restored and slabbed book. But look at the rest of their offerings. Does anyone really believe that?

Yeah, I would guess that it's probably true that either they bought them directly at an estate sale or that someone who did is consigning the books to them. Doesn't seem likely to give the books a significant boost, so probably not worth lying about. (shrug)

Let me be clear. I'm not bad mouthing or knocking them. I have bought many books from them. And when I can, I will continue to do so. They are great and I believe to be real fair and honest. But this "estate" and "original owner" stuff seems a little showy and sleezy... They are not the only ones that do it. I know a guy who does it on everything he lists on ebay. Several times, I know where he got the books and it wasn't from an "original owner".

Yeah, I would guess that it's probably true that either they bought them directly at an estate sale or that someone who did is consigning the books to them. Doesn't seem likely to give the books a significant boost, so probably not worth lying about. (shrug)

All my ebay listings include "taken from the cold dead hands of the original owner". Truthfully, hasn't seemed to help sales much.

Not trying to change the post, but I asked on the other post about what you guys think a complete NG Tec 27 would do today?

I take NG means no grade coverless complete ?.

Not necessarily complete. NG means "No Grade."