• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

Not trying to start an argument but can you please tell me WHY this comic store owner is scum?

Granted, he should have waited until the customer left the store to price and display them (that would have been the considerate thing to do). But he did offer a discount. Could it have been more? Absolutely!!

Don't get me wrong, I would have felt a bit slighted if I was in the same position (which I have been in before). BUT.......when you go into a situation like that (i.e. trying to purchase unpriced comics), 9 out of 10 times you are going to have the store owner determine FMV. It sucks doing homework for others, but that's the price you pay (pardon the pun), in this type of situation. Besides, the store owner has just as much right to make a buck as we (the collectors/flippers) do.

Just my 2c

Meck

It's a move because: having the employee say "don't worry about the prices, they are probably less than that" then looking the comics up on Ebay, IN FRONT of the customer, then pricing the comics based on Ebay's prices.

If he's going to look up and change prices, at least do i t before the customer sees the books and the CURRENT STICKER PRICE!!! I would have walked out too. It's the principal of it all. Otherwise, why price books at all? Why not just Google prices at the checkout. Because it's shady business that's why.

Agreed, I've been the victim of the same thing, just not for the same dollar value, defo the principle is at play here. But buying online just makes more sense; more selection means more chances to find what I want/need and the price, is actually the price :o

Oh, and my X-23 #1 CBCS 9.8 just got flipped to 'graded' status today *fingers crossed!*

Jerome

No argument needed.

I realize that the store needs sales in order to stay in business. I'm cool with that. But the fact that he wasn't even cordial after I bring books to his attention that he (potentially) will make 5x the sticker price on the Gamora and 7x the sticker price on the Punisher books is what frustrated me.

I really like that LCS and they have an amazing back issue selection where I've made some good buys. But I know now NOT to ask about books that are not on the floor because he's going to jack the price up to eBay prices.

As I stated, I had asked him to bring the books in from his back room so they were not fair game until he quoted me a price.

All in all, I left without the books and he gets to make a premium on the books if they sell. A simple 'thank you' would have been nice, that's all.

Not trying to start an argument but can you please tell me WHY this comic store owner is scum?

Granted, he should have waited until the customer left the store to price and display them (that would have been the considerate thing to do). But he did offer a discount. Could it have been more? Absolutely!!

Don't get me wrong, I would have felt a bit slighted if I was in the same position (which I have been in before). BUT.......when you go into a situation like that (i.e. trying to purchase unpriced comics), 9 out of 10 times you are going to have the store owner determine FMV. It sucks doing homework for others, but that's the price you pay (pardon the pun), in this type of situation. Besides, the store owner has just as much right to make a buck as we (the collectors/flippers) do.

Just my 2c

Meck

It's a move because: having the employee say "don't worry about the prices, they are probably less than that" then looking the comics up on Ebay, IN FRONT of the customer, then pricing the comics based on Ebay's prices.

If he's going to look up and change prices, at least do i t before the customer sees the books and the CURRENT STICKER PRICE!!! I would have walked out too. It's the principal of it all. Otherwise, why price books at all? Why not just Google prices at the checkout. Because it's shady business that's why.

Exactly !!!

I went to an LCS yesterday and requested to see his Original Sin books from the back. He brings them out and I look through them. He has all the Dell'Otto's with Gamora and Punisher being in the best shape. Gamora has a $39.95 tag and Punisher has a $19.95 tag. He then says, don't worry about the prices, they are probably less than that.

At this point in the story, you've seen a printed price and you've had an indication that the price will "probably" be discounted (but the discount isn't guaranteed).

The rest of the story doesn't matter. Any price asked above the amount on the sticker is the literal definition of "bait-and-switch".

He only "advertised" the price to an audience of one person... you... but you saw the price and he indicated it would be THAT price, or lower.

Just my 2c

Meck

Exactly !!!

It's different if the books were in the bins and out for sale and when you go to pay they say "I can't sell it at that price." Then you'd have every right to be ticked off but does it really matter if he priced them up in front of you now that he knows what the ebay prices are? Maybe play it off a bit more coy next time

I went to an LCS yesterday and requested to see his Original Sin books from the back. He brings them out and I look through them. He has all the Dell'Otto's with Gamora and Punisher being in the best shape. Gamora has a $39.95 tag and Punisher has a $19.95 tag. He then says, don't worry about the prices, they are probably less than that.

At this point in the story, you've seen a printed price and you've had an indication that the price will "probably" be discounted (but the discount isn't guaranteed).

The rest of the story doesn't matter. Any price asked above the amount on the sticker is the literal definition of "bait-and-switch".

He only "advertised" the price to an audience of one person... you... but you saw the price and he indicated it would be THAT price, or lower.

Except for the fact that Valiantman asked for books that were in the back room and not for sale at the moment. They could have still listed at cover price. It wouldn't matter. The owner, who is negligent in staying current with his stock and prices, did have a right to check (he said they would probably be cheaper) to see what the current value/price was.

He did offer a discount, but he did not say thank you to Valiantman, and that is where he is wrong and what VM seems mad about. I wouldn't call this a bait and switch as it was not on the wall at that price, nor would I call it shady business practice. Now if it was on display in a case or on the wall at that price and he didn't honor it, that would be bait and switch and shady.

Granted, pricing it in front of him was wrong and showed lack of social skills (business and otherwise.)

Edited by Kaboom

The same way I conduct business when I sell on these boards. I once listed a bunch of books quite a bit lower than GPA, and although the buyer asked for clarification because it was priced so low, I checked and said ya, I listed way too low. Oh well, happens, and sold them at the listed price.

If I owned a shop, I would make it a priority to be aware of current market prices.

Except for the fact that Valiantman21Pittsburgh58 asked for books that were in the back room and not for sale at the moment. They could have still listed at cover price. It wouldn't matter. The owner, who is negligent in staying current with his stock and prices, did have a right to check (he said they would probably be cheaper) to see what the current value/price was.

He did offer a discount, but he did not say thank you to Valiantman21Pittsburgh58, and that is where he is wrong and what VM seems mad about. I wouldn't call this a bait and switch as it was not on the wall at that price, nor would I call it shady business practice. Now if it was on display in a case or on the wall at that price and he didn't honor it, that would be bait and switch and shady.

It wasn't me. No, I'm saying that it was all fine (going to the back room, pulling old stickered books) UNTIL the seller indicated that the $39.95 and $19.95 prices were TOO HIGH, and they would probably be lower. Once he said "$39.95, possibly less than that", he can't raise the price.

He has advertised the $39.95 price, without a guarantee of a discount to this buyer (21Pittsburgh58).

Then, he changed the prices to much, much higher. That's an instant bait-and-switch.

Except for the fact that Valiantman21Pittsburgh58 asked for books that were in the back room and not for sale at the moment. They could have still listed at cover price. It wouldn't matter. The owner, who is negligent in staying current with his stock and prices, did have a right to check (he said they would probably be cheaper) to see what the current value/price was.

He did offer a discount, but he did not say thank you to Valiantman21Pittsburgh58, and that is where he is wrong and what VM seems mad about. I wouldn't call this a bait and switch as it was not on the wall at that price, nor would I call it shady business practice. Now if it was on display in a case or on the wall at that price and he didn't honor it, that would be bait and switch and shady.

It wasn't me. No, I'm saying that it was all fine (going to the back room, pulling old stickered books) UNTIL the seller indicated that the $39.95 and $19.95 prices were TOO HIGH, and they would probably be lower. Once he said "$39.95, possibly less than that", he can't raise the price.

He has advertised the $39.95 price, without a guarantee of a discount to this buyer (21Pittsburgh58).

Then, he changed the prices to much, much higher. That's an instant bait-and-switch.

Oops, sorry I thought you were the poster the way the thread broke down in the message box.

He did say don't worry about the prices they are "PROBABLY" lower than that. But were not. I still think using the term "probably" shows that it was not a guarantee.

but there is a difference between bad business practices and bad business ethics.

Oops, sorry I thought you were the poster the way the thread broke down in the message box.

He did say don't worry about the prices they are "PROBABLY" lower than that. But were not. I still think using the term "probably" shows that it was not a guarantee.

It's all good. No harm, no foul. I agree with you. But...

Would it be a different story if I bought them at the sticker prices and then came on here to say "I just got these at an absolute steal from my LCS"? Absolutely. Would it be justified to "look down" on me as a buyer? Sure. Why not the other way around?

I've already stated twice that I asked for the books to be brought up from the back and because they were not on the floor, that it was up to the LCS to do what they did.

Re-stating what happened: He had sticker prices at $39.95 and $19.95, looked them up on eBay and jacked the price to $225 and $150. Offered me a 20% discount off of eBay prices which would have cost me:

1) $180 for the Gamora ($39.95 sticker to $225 eBay to $180 final sale w/ 20%discount)

2) $120 for the Punisher ($19.95 sticker to $150 eBay to $120 final sale w/ 20% discount).

Those 2 books would have cost me $300 + tax (at 20% off) instead of $60 + tax = 5x what was actually on the book. Now they are looking to make (if they sell) $375 + tax.

Is that how you would have done business? I never, ever said that they SHOULD have sold them to me at the sticker price, I stated that a simple 'thank you' would have sufficed.

Bottom line is this: I don't have the books. The LCS has the books but, at this time, haven't sold the books. Guaranteed sale vs. potential sale. I wish them the best because I really like going there!

But to think that the LCS wasn't even a TINY bit ridiculous in the handling of this, is, in my opinion, ridiculous.

Edited by 21Pittsburgh58

This is what Mile High Comics does... but to every book... the prices they have on don't even mean anything because they re-price everything at the counter... I stopped going in because of it... tired of doing their job for them... digging for hours finding books that are getting hot, only for them to tax the mess out you... I get it's hard to keep up with the current market... especially when you have a massive inventory, but why put sticker prices on at all...

I went to an LCS yesterday and requested to see his Original Sin books from the back. He brings them out and I look through them. He has all the Dell'Otto's with Gamora and Punisher being in the best shape. Gamora has a $39.95 tag and Punisher has a $19.95 tag. He then says, don't worry about the prices, they are probably less than that. I quickly deduce that he is going to look them up. No *spoon*, right. Boy was he surprised to see what they were going for and I was far less surprised that the sticker prices were soon not going to be the sell prices.

He then asks, do you know what these are going for? I say, yes, I'm aware. Then he offers me 20% off...of eBay prices! I politely decline. For the record, I would have bought them if he handed them over at those prices. Sellers responsibility to know what they have (which he ultimately did find out).

I'm not mad since they were pulled from his back room and they were not fair game yet because they were not in the back issues boxes on the floor.

I'm more frustrated that he didn't at least say "thank you for bringing these to my attention". He went from $60 plus taxes in sales for the 2 books, to putting them in the display case for $225 (Gamora) and $150 (Punisher) WHILE I'M THERE At least put them in mylar bro.

lol. Ah well, at least I can say I at least held those copies :)

LCS like that are scum and don't deserve any business !

Not really, no.

Changing the price of a book that is on the sales floor available to purchase is one thing. That is a scummy thing to do, especially when you don't make it known to customers before they start browsing because then they know what to expect.

However, in this case the books were not on the sales floor. Despite having a price tag they are effectively not priced yet. You can't fault an owner/dealer for having un-priced books which are then priced at current market prices. The fact that he let you browse his otherwise unavailable backstock is benefit enough.

I went to an LCS yesterday and requested to see his Original Sin books from the back. He brings them out and I look through them. He has all the Dell'Otto's with Gamora and Punisher being in the best shape. Gamora has a $39.95 tag and Punisher has a $19.95 tag. He then says, don't worry about the prices, they are probably less than that. I quickly deduce that he is going to look them up. No *spoon*, right. Boy was he surprised to see what they were going for and I was far less surprised that the sticker prices were soon not going to be the sell prices.

He then asks, do you know what these are going for? I say, yes, I'm aware. Then he offers me 20% off...of eBay prices! I politely decline. For the record, I would have bought them if he handed them over at those prices. Sellers responsibility to know what they have (which he ultimately did find out).

I'm not mad since they were pulled from his back room and they were not fair game yet because they were not in the back issues boxes on the floor.

I'm more frustrated that he didn't at least say "thank you for bringing these to my attention". He went from $60 plus taxes in sales for the 2 books, to putting them in the display case for $225 (Gamora) and $150 (Punisher) WHILE I'M THERE At least put them in mylar bro.

lol. Ah well, at least I can say I at least held those copies :)

LCS like that are scum and don't deserve any business !

Not really, no.

Changing the price of a book that is on the sales floor available to purchase is one thing. That is a scummy thing to do, especially when you don't make it known to customers before they start browsing because then they know what to expect.

However, in this case the books were not on the sales floor. Despite having a price tag they are effectively not priced yet. You can't fault an owner/dealer for having un-priced books which are then priced at current market prices. The fact that he let you browse his otherwise unavailable backstock is benefit enough.

Agreed, and that's why I mentioned that they were brought from the back and not changed at the register. I told him that if they were in the floor stock, I would have paid and walked out happy as a lark. He understood that, just like I understand what he did.

Ach, I just hijacked this thread. Sorry. Back to cool Dell'Otto's :cloud9:

No, if the dealer had said, "these need price updates first", that would mean the books weren't priced.

But the dealer set the maximum price for the customer when he said, "Don't worry about the price stickers". At that moment, the price sticker ($39.95) was the worst case scenario for the customer.

How do you go from "Don't worry about $39.95" to "Now, it's $225" without it being a bait-and-switch?

No, if the dealer had said, "these need price updates first", that would mean the books weren't priced.

But the dealer set the maximum price for the customer when he said, "Don't worry about the price stickers". At that moment, the price sticker ($39.95) was the worst case scenario for the customer.

How do you go from "Don't worry about $39.95" to "Now, it's $225" without it being a bait-and-switch?

The owner didn't set a maximum price. He said "PROBABLY less than that." This being an unsold incentive variant he made that statement because he believed the book was no longer a 40 dollar book, as incentive variants typically go down in price, especially if they don't sell out and see a demand upon their initial release. A month ago the owner would have looked up the price of that book and seen it selling for 15-20, so he would've discounted the book. You can't have it both ways.

You should never assume books that are backstock or otherwise not on the sales floor/wall have been priced. This is why owners are typically quick to point out that their backstock/overstock cannot be dug through; same as collections that have just come in, they haven't been priced. Getting access to these books, and a discount on top of that, are the benefits.

The owner didn't set a maximum price. He said "PROBABLY less than that." This being an unsold incentive variant he made that statement because he believed the book was no longer a 40 dollar book, as incentive variants typically go down in price, especially if they don't sell out and see a demand upon their initial release. A month ago the owner would have looked up the price of that book and seen it selling for 15-20, so he would've discounted the book. You can't have it both ways.

You should never assume books that are backstock or otherwise not on the sales floor/wall have been priced. This is why owners are typically quick to point out that their backstock/overstock cannot be dug through; same as collections that have just come in, they haven't been priced. Getting access to these books, and a discount on top of that, are the benefits.

We're beating a dead horse here, but the owner said "Don't worry about the $39.95".

You can't raise the price after you've told a customer not to worry about the old price.

You didn't promise a discount, but you promised "no worries" at $39.95.

If he had said, "Ignore the sticker" or "I need to price these", he gets to price them at any number.

He said "don't worry" about $39.95 being too high, then ended up at a higher price. That's the opposite of "don't worry".